Food News: New Rip’n Chick’n from Popeyes

New at Popeyes, Rip’n Chick’n.  Sort of an odd concept, but I like most things Popeyes related.  Wicked Chicken was a winner, the Butterfly Shrimp Tackle Box is always a favorite, I’ve got Crawfish season marked on my calendar… (not really, but I’m a fan).  The point is, Popeyes is one of my go-to spots for some greasy grub and Rip’n Chick’n just made my to-do list.

…we cut a plump, all white meat chicken breast into big strips, marinate it in four different peppers and Louisiana seasonings then hand batter and bread it in our signature coating then fry it up crispy.  We call it Rip’n Chick’n because you just rip it and dip it.  Get it right now with our Cajun fries, buttermilk biscuit and Ranch dipping sauce.

24 comments on “Food News: New Rip’n Chick’n from Popeyes

1. Charlotte says:

That is just weird…and kind of scary looking.

2. Justin ST says:

The closest I got to trying the Wicked Chicken was at a Popeye’s in the airport, but apparently, they weren’t on the same wavelength as the outside locations. The woman thought I was crazy when I asked if they had Wicked Chicken. Sigh.

3. larry says:

Unfortunately my local* Popeyes is not carrying this product.

(*my “local” Popeyes is 15 miles away but I’ll make that trip anytime)

4. Chefprotoss or dan says:

Ummm… Uhhhhh…. Wtf? I’m speechless.

5. Adam Bomb says:

Weird, but probably good! Does anyone else remember the old Hardee’s fried chicken slogan? “Hardee’s chicken is Rippin’!”

6. Colin says:

I’ve been to two Popeye’s in my life and both of them were staffed with workers who acted like I was bothering them by having the nerve to order food.

Am I alone in this phenomenon?

• Justin ST says:

It’s a shame.

I know what you’re trying to say, but you can’t say it, lol.

Some locations are better than others. At Atlanta’s airport, I was treated very well by the employees, who went above and beyond. I actually left a tip.

• larry says:

Actually, my experiences with Popeyes has been the opposite. I do a bit of traveling and to date have not run into any employee at a Popeyes that has been less then polite and willing to accommodate my many requests for extra sauce, freshly prepared food, or my (cheap) desire to keep my coupon for my next visit ;-).

• Justin ST says:

Well Larry, it depends on who you are and the general region that you live in.

Certain people in certain areas get treated better than others!

• larry says:

Well, I’ve visited Popeyes from Mass to Florida…from Texas to Ohio, and every state in between. Some in good neighborhoods, some in not so good.

Never had any issues in any region but perhaps you get around to more states then I do.

7. TonyJaguar says:

Saw this reviewed on An Immoveable Feast, looks like a battered and fried Buddas Hand lemon.

8. TonyJaguar says:

And Colin, you are not alone. I went to a Popeyes near the folks house once and the drive through was dark, nobody answered the intercom. So I pulled around to the window KNOWING they were open, and what did I see? The reflection of the two workers hiding from the drive through window, so they wouldn’t have to work? LMFAO, I got my catfish meal, and that location was closed months after the new signage went up for Louisiana fried chicken. Face!!

9. Crusader says:

Oh man I could eat 3-4 of those boxes. Loads of tasty sides!

10. Helldog says:

Crikey! It looks like a Bloomin’ Chicken Breast!

11. J.A. says:

I had this the other day after asking for Wicked Chicken and the nice drive thru lady saying they only had Rip’n Chick’n. When I got it I thought it was going to suck, but my Rip’n was spicier and more delicious than my Wicked.

Win for Popeyes.

12. SPM says:

I have had a lot of bad experiences with this place, usually centered around obscenely long wait times for their food. It’s called fast food for a reason, 15-20 minutes for a chicken sandwich is not acceptable.

• PlatypusTheConqueror says:

I remember once when I went to a convenience store and there was a problem with the cash register, since I really needed gas I stood there in line stewing and groaning until I could get sorted out. I’m completely resentful that they delayed me, as I am entitled to immunity from the everyday inconveniences you little people deal with.

It’s called a convenience store for a reason, 15-20 minutes for gas is not acceptable.

13. eric says:

I wonder if you can sell people sub-par D grade chicken if you throw some bread crumbs on it, fry it, and slice it where its rotting?

14. jscsf says:

Just saw a commercial for this. It looks like a deep-fried human hand. Gross.