What’s In Your Lunchbox?

In a perfect world, I’d rotate my daily lunch between visits at Chick-fil-A, McDonald’s, and fancy new American cafes serving up artisan paninis and perfectly composed salads. Of course, in a perfect world I’d also have unlimited cash money and the metabolism of a thousand suns. Unfortunately, neither is the case, so I make do just as millions of Americans do: I bring my lunch to work.

Note: Not real life.

In my real life I work an eight-hour day in an office like millions of other Americans. Actually, that’s not quite right. In my real life, I stand at a computer screen in a hotel for eight straight hours. That kind of day requires for some real planning when it comes to lunch and snacking. For starters, it requires a vesicle to transport said lunch and snacks. I guess you could go with a paper bag or a used grocery bag, but as any kid-at-heart will tell you, nothing will beat a classic lunchbox. I personally rock a vintage Star Wars lunchbox:

Best. Investment. Ever.

Of course, any classic lunchbox must be filled with the correct balance of nutrition and treats. The former, to power you physically through the day; the latter, to keep you looking forward to breaks that come in lulls between the action and dips in productive periods. A well-built lunch is anchored by a sandwich. I like to mix up my combos, sometimes going classic, other times going eclectic. I build my sandwiches with combos like Peanut Butter and Jelly, Peanut Butter and Pickles, and Cream Cheese and Cucumbers. They’re cheap, relatively nutritious, and combine a good mix in flavors. Of course, customization is key, which is why I use my handy-dandy Millennium Falcon Sandwich cuter.

The first sandwich to make the Kessel run in 0.5 past lightspeed

It’s not always so pretty though. Leftovers are an ugly necessity in life, and oftentimes, they just beg to be stuck between two pieces of bread with whatever condiments I can find. Anyone wanna venture a guess as to what mystery meat is in this creation?

Needs more ketchup

Granola Bars are also a staple in any well-built lunch. I’ve graduated from the Quaker bars of my childhood, and moved onto something with a little more punch. I like something with a little protein, but also some density. I’m a big fan of Kashi’s TLC Bars, including the Dark Mocha Almond Bar.

Embracing the dark side of the force with this one

Gotta get some veggies in there too. Hey, you didn’t just think I lunched on junk all day, did ya? On some days I’ll rock a pre-made salad of lima beans, corn, and canned tomatoes (succotash, anyone?), but as far as I’m concerned, there are few things that can beat a baggie of baby carrots.

OK, this lunch is starting to look too healthy. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but how is a rice cake is gonna fire me up at 2:30pm as the lobby of the hotel goes absolutely, straight-up dead? That kind of boredom requires a little on-the-job exploring. On some days I may wander over to the vending machines. On others, I may poke my head around the company fridge, eyeing the items that have been in there so long somebody is just begging me to eat them. Today I got lucky though; one of my coworkers bought a flavor of chips she ended up disliking (Doritos Spicy Sweet Chili, good stuff) so I scored the rest of the bag.

By the time 4:00pm rolls around my blood sugar is getting dangerously low, and I’m starting to lose motivation to get me through the final hour of the workday. This isn’t just crunch time, it’s treat time. But getting off the clock is just half the battle, seeing as though I’ve got a mile and a half hike (and by hike, I actually mean a hike). To get me through that, and to celebrate another long day on the job, only the comfort of a cookie will do. Chocolate Chip? Don’t mind if I do!

Well, there you have it. Now that you’ve seen what’s in my lunchbox… What kinds of treats get you through your workday?

22 comments on “What’s In Your Lunchbox?

1. Nickki says:

Is the mystery meat liver…?

2. Echo710 says:

Since this post is tagged “liver sandwich”, doesn’t that kind of give away the identity of the “mystery meat” in the picture?

3. Patrick says:

My sandwich of choice is usually a tuna and Pringle sandwich on toast, but I sometimes vary with Hot Pockets or a Banquet Meal. Some yogurt, maybe a banana, and hopefully some sort of cookie. Good to go B)

4. Patrick says:

And the meat is liver! :D

5. Jeff says:

Holy cow where can I find that lunchbox?

6. Adam Bomb says:

I don’t always take lunch to work (I work third shift in a factory), but Michelina’s Lean Gourmet Chicken Alfredo Florentine is frequently in my lunchbag. It’s usually about a dollar, and it’s not bad at all. As far as treats… I like the 100 calorie Oreo crisp packs. I know they’re gimmicky and overpriced, but it’s an easy way for me to control portions, so I like them. Homemade cookies/brownies, fruit, crackers. I like the Emerald Breakfast nut pouch things that were on GrubGrade recently. I tried the one with yogurt covered raisins and dried apples. They’re a little expensive, but delicious. :)

• Adam says:

Man, I love those oreo 100 cal packs. I wish they actually made full size cookies out of them. Best part about a Southwest Airline flight a few years ago was getting those!

• Natalie says:

There’s a dollar off coupon on the Emerald website for the breakfast pouches.

7. Helldog says:

“For starters, it requires a vesicle to transport said lunch and snacks.”

ves·i·cle

1. A small bladderlike cell or cavity.
    2. Anatomy A small sac or cyst, especially one containing fluid.

Based on that sentence, I promise never to steal anything from your lunch.

8. Adam says:

Haha you guys got me. And I got my sandwich and cutters from Williams Sonoma.

9. Justin ST says:

You should take that lunchbox to Pawn Stars and see how much you’d get for it!

10. skippymom says:

I was thing eBay for the lunchbox too! :) Your lunchbox is so cute. So is the sandwich. We have a dinosaur cutter I still use for the high schooler.

Our kids always get a sandwich [varies between bread, tortillas, rolls], fruit, something crunchy [chips, crackers or veggies] and something sweet for dessert, plus a 100 % fruit juice box [some of those have heinous sugar in them. hate.] The lunch ladies are so wonderful but the school lunches suck nutrition wise so they have never bought unless it was an emergency.

Since we are down to one kid at home I always have massive leftovers, so Pooldad gets leftovers the next day. We have cool compartmentalized boxes, with lids, to dole out the meal from the night before. The only downside to him taking leftovers is that he is the only one in his office that doesn’t eat out/order out and when they smell him heating up his lunch I invariable get a grocery store gift card and a request to prepare the whole office lunch. I wouldn’t mind so much [it is kind of a compliment] but usually they want fried chicken. I am so over frying chicken at 5 am let me tell ya’. heehee

• Adam says:

I never bought lunch at school until I got a meal plan in college. I would hit up the snack line though in K-5. Usually got churros or flinstone push pops :)

11. Rachel says:

Good topic for a post. I always like to check out what my coworkers are chowing on, mostly because I’m bored (and nosey). One of my favorite snacks to have on hand is a Claussen pickle for when I’m craving something salty/garlicky/crunchy in the afternoon. It stops me from getting chips from the vending machine. I also like Haribo gummi bears for a quick sugar buzz.

• Adam says:

I will sometimes pack a pickle and peanut butter sanwich. Throw in some sweet relish and you get a salty, gooey, sweet mess.

12. J.B. says:

How much for the lunchbox?

13. Old School Mike says:

I have the exact same lunchbox! My sister got it for me for Christmas and whenever I take it to work I always get compliments on it.

-OSM

14. VanessaG says:

This was a great post! I’m nosy and love seeing what other eat,haha. You eat great, healthy food. I love on the blog world on Wednesdays due to WIAW(What I ate Wed). They post all their eats on wed. Cool huh? Anyways, in my perfect world I’d get to eat @ Panera Bread, Wendys, and Chick fil A….but I’m a teacher and I bring my lunch to work every single day. :)

15. Lisa says:

ahh pb&J. nothing better than that. I eat from home, mostly, but when Im out, Im a chobani/fruit and a sweet kind of girl. Like, pineapple chobani, big apple, and an all natural snickerdoodle/chocolate chip cookie. The sweet has to balance out the healthy CHO and apple, after all. ;)

16. Natalie says:

Most of the time I’ll just bring a frozen Lean Cuisine (or similar) meal for lunch to the office..I always wait to buy them when they’re on sale for $2.50. If I have easily microwavable leftovers I’ll bring those. I’ll bring stuff like yogurt and baby carrots that I store in the office fridge and normally have a stash of granola bars or Emerald nut pouches at my desk too…good for when I forget to eat breakfast. I’m a front desk receptionist and am constantly eating chocolate from the candy bowl too.