Food News: Subway rolls out Avocado Sandwiches

Starting this week, Subway will be offering customers a choice to add a new avocado spread to their sandwiches, at a charge of either 50 cents or a $1 more. In addition to the choice to add the 100% “preservative free” avocado spread, Subway will also be debuting a new Turkey-Bacon Avocado Sub for $7 in the footlong version.

The sub clocks in at 420 calories and 15 grams of fat (5 saturated), while a 35-gram serving of the avocado spread contains 70 calories and 7 grams (1 saturated) of fat.

27 comments on “Food News: Subway rolls out Avocado Sandwiches

1. Ryan says:

I cannot imagine an avocado “spread” from Subway being any good. I’m kind of a guacamole snob. Looks like this promotion is to go along with the release of The Green Lantern flick.

2. My Subway had this for a while and recently stopped… I wonder if they were testing it before the nationwide rollout. It was actually very tasty.

3. Chefprotoss or dan says:

I read an interview with subway exec and this is supposed to help them compete with higher end sub shops. Considering this is a place where you can get an egg-ish patty put on your microwaved meatball sub, this is clearly a case of execs trying too hard. Subway recently beat out mcdonalds world wide for most locations so I doubt profits are down. No one in their right mind would ever confuse subway for a fast casual restaurant.

Even though I would rather they put corned beef on the menu, who knows? Maybe this is delicious.

• Adam says:

If this had Arby’s Bacon I may be interested. It like Subway’s Turkey, but their bacon is standard for FF (crap). If you’re going to bring in a premium ingredient like and “avocado spread,” you’ve gotta match it with the other ingredients.

• J.B. says:

Just because you have the most locations does not mean you are the most profitable or that profitable at all.

In my town there are about 10 Subways in a five mile radius, and about 6 in a 2-3 mile radius and my buddy owns about 4 of them.
      In contrast there are about 2 Quiznos in the same radius and 2 Jimmy Johns. The average Jimmy John’s does about $700,000 plus in sales a year while the average Subway does $300,000 or so.

Not to mention the mandatory upscale upgrade to the stores they have to do is going to cost about $60,000 to $70,000, which the owners have to pay out of their pockets.

• Jim says:

My town is the same. There are 10 Subways in a 5 mile radius. Population of the town, 27K. There is a Lenny’s and an independant shop for competiton. We did have 2 Quizno’s but they have gone under. I don’t know why they need that many stores in a concentrated area.

4. Roger C. says:

Subway is on the way out. In the fast casual sandwich industry, the barriers to entry or low and if you pull that cost-effective corporate crap, your competitors will eat you alive.

This place, in my opinion, is on the way out. Subway has utterly cheapened their brand by opening locations everywhere in an attempt to grab as much franchise fees as it can. When I saw a location in a gas station, I knew it was the end.

Jimmy John’s is really good, but they have been raising prices way too often, and now they are advertising all the time, which is a bad sign.

I’ve been spoiled by Pret a Manger since I’ve been in London. I’m just not fond of American sandwich shops anymore.

• Jay says:

On the way out? yeah, even though new locations continue to open up throughout the country. Gimme a break, food snob.

5. Chris says:

I’ve seen quite a few Subway stores in Cali that have been offering actual real sliced avocado (as opposed to wierd fake “spread”) for years…

6. sophia says:

I thought they had this already? They were offering me avocado at Subway more than a year ago.

7. J.B. says:

Avocado is not bad on the right sub.
    My friend’s dad owns a couple of independent sub shops here in town and they have been putting avocado on their subs for over 20 years and they don’t charge extra either.

8. Chefprotoss or dan says:

The problem is subways franchising business(all the business for the corperation for that matter), not the fellow restaurants in the area. There will always be competition. Subway (the corperation) looks for shmucks who no nothing of restaurants, that are willing to pay them money to franchise a store. They give them their store and could care less if they succeed or not. Just like any other kind of work restaurants are a trade. If someone with no knowledge of the business gets taken advantage of that is the franchisee’s fault. If you know nothing about cars and decide to open an auto repair shop, people would call you an idiot. It’s the same thing. Unfortunately it plauges the restaurant business. Everyone with a recipe and a dream(or in this case just a dream) thinks they can be rich off their restaurant. Subway taking advantage of franchisee’s has been well documented so I’m done rambling. I guess my point was do what your good at and stay on that path.

Also, adam you should really try A&W’s bacon. It feels like they hired someones grandmother just to cook and monitor the porky goodness.

9. Julien says:

Out here (in California), Avocado has been on the menu for years, even at chains like Quiznos, Togos and Subway. It’s usually of decent quality, but, then again, California doesn’t seem to suffer from Avocado shortages.

10. fjfjfkjfjk says:

the subway around here has the avocado spread for a while now. it is definitely not worth the extra money, they give you a paper thin layer of the spread, you cant even taste it.

11. Manavee says:

I tried the turkey and bacon Avocado today. At the franchise to which I went, the footlong was $8.

The spread didn’t add much to the sandwich, IMO. It just struck me as bland. Definitely not worth the large upcharge. The idea that this sandwich would compete with the higher end sandwiches at other shops is laughable. Adam was spot on….it’s still the same low cost, low quality ingredients surrounding the avocado spread. You’re not going to try this sandwich and think, “Wow, am I at Cosi?” Or ,”Wow, am I at Panera?”….or corner bakery, etc.

12. MikeB says:

Bottom line is that Subway is awful. We have one on campus and I’ll take the pre-made sandwiches all day long.

Everybody should just stick to their local mom and pop shops and let this sad sad franchise go under.

13. Jen says:

I just tried this today. It was tasteless AND gross at the same time. It had a weird consistency too. Definitely won’t get this again.

14. Kristi says:

I just tried this yesterday. The avocado is DISGUSTING! I’ll stick to Jimmy John’s avocado, thank you very much. BLECH

15. joe says:

Subway is awful. They should be under instead of growing. They use oscar meyer meat delicious! NOT!

Their subs are tasteless. Why anyone would ever eat at a subway is beyond me.

Go to the real places in philly, new jersey new york and if you don’t live by one of the those, your local mom and pop will blow away barfway

16. TMACSTER says:

I agree. Subway truly is a sad, sad franchise. The reason I’m on this site is because I just went and got a Subway sandwich (regret it, dont ask me why I did, probably because its fast and convenient).

I decided to try the avocado on my sandwich, and absolutely disgusting is a complete understatement. It tasted nothing like avocado, was fucking horrible, and like Jen said the consistency was weirdly disgusting as well. It literally almost made me throw the entire sandwich out. Everyone should boycott subway so that it goes under, especially now that theyre trying to be high class by using avocado which is questionable as to whether or not it actually has avocado in it, along with all their other bullshit meats that are ALL made from turkey, nothing else.

17. FVilla says:

Bought the new avacado sandwich and after buying the meal I paid almost $12.00 for one sandwich. Sorry, but it wasn’t worth the money I paid for ONE sandwich.

18. Jason Thorne says:

I would like to thank subway for putting the idea of avocado on a sub inside my wifes head because when I went to order it in Victoria bc Canada they told me it isn’t in Canada. So when I came home with the turkey bacon ah la no avocado she told me to sleep on the couch.
    Thank you very much subway.

19. Accipiter says:

I had a turkey sub with avocado the other day, and it was the worst avocado I’ve ever had. I love regular avocado, and I love guacamole. This was nothing like either. It was a mushy paste with a weird consistency and it was tasteless. I don’t know how you do that with avocado. Like TCMACSTER, I nearly threw the whole thing out.

20. area says:

i went to subway to try their new turkey bacon WITH AVOCADO! and once the girl started to put the turkey bacon and all that, i didnt notice any avocado in it. so i ask her, where’s the avocado. and she goes, oh u wanted avocado? i give her this look and says well it comes WITH AVOCADO right? and then the manager tells me in additional 75 cents. seriously?!!!! so why freakin advertise turkey bacon WITH AVOCADO. that means it automatically comes with avocado. its not even about the 75 cents, its all about them advertising it. it should say turkey bacon, and since its avocado season, u can add avocado as an add on. stupid subway!