I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, McDonald’s needs a spicy chicken sandwich available in ALL of it’s U.S. restaurants.  I recently had to head to Texas to come across the Hot ‘N Spicy McChicken (read my review here).  It’s fun to check out test market items, so here are some more.  First it was southern California, and now Houston, TX area McDonald’s are a test market for a couple of new McChicken offerings… the Jalapeno Cheddar McChicken and the Cheddar Onion McChicken.

The details:

McDonald’s customers who love the golden, crispy McChicken sandwich can now experience a rush of flavor with two new topping options. The Jalapeño Cheddar McChicken wakes up the taste buds with spicy jalapeño peppers and white cheddar cheese. Customers can also enjoy the savory new Cheddar Onion McChicken made with caramelized onions and white cheddar cheese, all on a perfectly toasted bun.

Thank you Em for the picture submissions.  And now for some close-ups of these creations:

Jalapeno Cheddar McChicken

Cheddar Onion McChicken

25 comments on “McChicken Variety: Jalapeno Cheddar McChicken, Cheddar Onion McChicken, Hot ‘N Spicy McChicken

1. ChrisSh says:

Are these babies still only a buck?

2. Michael J says:

I was super excited to eat one of each today, which I did, but I am sad to say both were terrible. The white cheddar tasted exactly like the standard american, the grilled onions had a “bitter frying oil” taste and the jalapenos pieces were in a vinegar-y gelatin sauce that soaked the crispy McChicken breast. I’d recommend to manage expectations.

3. Adam says:

Oh man those onions look good, but even though this looks like a big imporvement over the refular McChicken, I wish we could get some of the European chicken variations. It seems like US fast food is scared to branch outside of “safe” cheeses and “hot” flavor profiles, but I’d like to see more sweet-salty combos and European flavors.

4. Graham says:

Oh man, those look great! I’m in Ventura county, do I need to head south to LA or Orange county to find a McD’s with the new sandwiches?

5. @graciHas says:

about time they tried something new with their chicken. i wonder how much these will cost

6. somesteve says:

interesting.

7. Chefprotoss or dan says:

Well, they are trying at least. Not very hard though. I guess anyones best bet for a spicy mcchicken(in my area anyway) is to bring some siracha to mcd’s and put it on yourself.

• Adam says:

But Dan, you’re suppose to eat the food as served! Silly consumer, it’s not like we know what tastes good and doesn’t anyway!

Just joshing you there :)

• Chefprotoss or dan says:

If you review these adam, you have my permission to put whatever you want on them. =P

These look just terrible. Fried chicken patty and grilled onions? Maybe the worst combo of textures I have ever seen.

8. Alex says:

Has anyone found these anywhere in the Northeast?

9. haha yeah these look lame. maybe i’m just feeling bitter from my mcdonald’s breakfast.

10. IBeAnonymous says:

I’m in Houston, the McDonald’s I was at earlier today did not have these. Where did you find these and how much did they cost?

11. Kayleigh says:

The McDonald’s in Vancouver, WA we went to yesterday had these. They were $1.39 a piece. My boyfriend tried a jalapeno-cheddar one. The “cheddar” tasted just like the American cheese and the jalapenos were in a weird sauce that tasted too much like vinegar. They were a decent try at something new, but I think the hot and spicy McChicken is much better. I wish they would make spicy McNuggets.

Also, I have been reading this site for over a year now and it rocks. Keep up the good work ;)

12. Michael says:

I’d rather have a regular McChicken with pepperjack cheese instead of the usual American that comes on it. As far as these two go, if they’re ever in my market I won’t be trying them out.

13. Charlotte says:

It looks like someone threw up on the jalapeno one.

14. Rahim says:

Oh man, I hope this comes over to Queens, NY!

15. Kevin says:

I’m sure they taste a lot better than they look. hopefully they come to the NY metro area

16. Gizzm says:

I tried em’ both and both are Horrible. The jalepeno one is very sour and vinegery and not spicy at all. Both sandwiches features wispy cheese that looked/tasted like it had been sitting around for a long while.

Yuk…just a waste of money.
    and toilet paper.

17. Steely says:

They made me fall in love with these bastards for the last few months in Central California and then the franchises in the area decided to stop carrying them. Broke my heart…

It’s amazing what 10 cents worth of onion and cheese will do for an otherwise abysmal product.

18. Shane says:

I work for the McDonald’s in Waimanalo, Hawaii. We finally got these babies! I’ve tried both of them and I have to say that both are great but the Cheddar Onion is my top choice. The grilled onions counteracts the spicy-ness of the chicken, while the Jalapeno Cheddar adds spice to the sandwich. Still two good and different takes on the already cheap priced McChicken!