My Hard-Drive Has Failed

And I have lost over 20,000 pictures (7,000 pics of food btw). Pretty smart to not back up data. I deserve my fate. So I’m updating from my phone and here to share the news.

p.s. I’ve never had Nutella

20110406-101815.jpg

26 comments on “My Hard-Drive Has Failed

1. ChrisSh says:

Eek, :( I bought a back up hard drive several years ago and try to update it every six months or so… You really never know how much you’re missing until it’s gone. :(

P.S. Nutella is good, but the hazelnut seems to just be a little bit off for our American tastes…

2. Adam says:

Wow man, that sucks. Only one way to deal with it – go eat something horrible and cheap. May I suggest a pint of one of the newBen and Jerry’s ice creams?

3. Halcyon says:

Next time, buy an external HD. Also, don’t buy a computer with a Seagate hard drive.

4. SkippyMom says:

My sympathies my friend. I understand.

As for Nutella – I bought this for the kids and thought I was doing a healthy, good thing. Then I tasted it and read the ingredients.

Um – it is basically the filling on a Ferreo Roche. Sugar in a jar.

Nice condiment, but it isn’t going on my kids’ toast in the morning – like the commercial shows.

• Scott says:

Hey, sugar (carbs, 4 calories per gram) has less calories than Hazelnut/Peanut butter (9 calories per gram). It’s basically like putting syrup and butter on your French Toast.

Darn it, now I feel like making French Toast, and smearing lots of butter and syrup on it (or Nutella).

5. Marvo says:

What? You’ve never had Nutella? That’s nuts!

6. Marvo says:

Oh, not backing up your data is also nuts.

7. Steve L says:

Me either. But I plan to try it this weekend maybe. People go nuts over it

8. Sizzle says:

Alas, as humans, we learn more from our failures than our successes. I suffered the same fate last fall, but, for a measly $100, I was able to provide myself with a 1TB external hard drive smaller than my hand.

9. Ian says:

oof! My heart goes out to you and glorious food pics…GG fan for lyfe!

ps check out my band from akron, oh! we are heavily inspired by cheeseburgers

10. Chefprotoss or dan says:

That sucks a bunch. If you haven’t thought about it, you could try an online back up service. Carbonite is great. 20 bucks a year(I think) and since its off site if there is a house fire or flood your data is safe. Plus it backs up automaticly.

Oh, and nutella is delicious. Try it between two pieces of french toast.

11. J.B. says:

Happens to the best of us, you live and you learn.
    Your files may actually still be on there, if you hook it up to another computer as a slave drive, you might be able to retrieve them.

Always back up on an external drive, burn to CDs and USB drives.

BTW, Nutella is awesome, just bought a jar last week, there was a coupon for it. On bread it is ok, but I am searching for the perfect thing to dip it in. I think pretzel sticks might be the best thing to dip in it.

12. Mike N says:

Bummer dude! But it does make me wonder what those other 13000 pics are of… hmmmm… :)

13. DHL says:

Don’t just buy an external HD as those too can fail, buy one in a Raid 1 setup. This causes the 2 drives to be exact images of each other so if one of the drives fails you can replace it without losing data and have it automatically mirror itself again. I have kids and it would be absolutely heart breaking to have all those pictures dissappear.

14. Francois says:

Homemade “Nutella” is much better.

Also, I learned the hard way with backing up my harddrive. It took a few failures, losses of things from the damn 90s, but now I have a regular save process onto an external harddrive. And they’re so cheap these days, as Sizzle stated. I picked up a 1TB for less than $100, though. Don’t make this mistake again!

15. Ryan says:

pps: Yes that’s my cupboard with an unopened jar of Nutella.

16. Scott says:

Unless you’ve already had your hard drive looked at by an experienced PC repair tech (and they’ve told you it’s unrecoverable except via a clean room), I’d be happy to try to restore your data for free (since you offer this blog as a service to us all).

17. Canadian Jill says:

Sorry to hear :( Like someone above mentioned, Carbonite is a well-known online backup service. You could even just use Dropbox for free. I’m guessing you didn’t have any of these photos on Flickr or another image hosting service? That would be another idea for future backup as well.

18. Raiders757 says:

That blows! Sorry to hear/read that. Like others have suggested, get yourself an external HD. They’re awesome for backup storage, but realize that they can also fail as well. That’s why I backup files on an external HD, as well as on DVD-R. You can never have too many backups for your files and such.

19. Kelley says:

I would suggest taking Scott up on his offer. Other than that, I would suggest trying Recuva. I don’t know if it would help in your situation, but it’s free. My SD card started mysteriously disappearing pictures, which of course did not help when I was writing a review and had already consumed the product, and Recuva was able to recover all of them. Even found pictures I’d deleted straight from the card years ago.

20. Roman says:

Nutella is the best. Try spreading a tbs or two on a soft whole wheat wrap and load it with sliced strawberries… wrap and enjoy. Dont blame me if you get hooked!