Hitting the Road: Denny’s Baconalia!

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update from GrubGrade’s latest road trip.  As part of the launch of their new Bacon Menu, dubbed “Baconalia” (a sort of festival of bacon), Denny’s flew in a few of us food bloggers to their headquarters in South Carolina for a first hand look, and taste, of their latest offerings.  For right now, I’ll just give you the basics on what this is all about and follow up with my reviews in the coming days.

As I mentioned, Baconalia, is a term the Denny’s ad wizards made up as a sort of fictional bacon holiday.  The basic idea was to create celebration centered around bacon, elevating it from everyone’s favorite breakfast side dish, to the main attraction.  In other words, rather than ordering eggs with a side of bacon, Denny’s wants you to order bacon with a side of eggs.

The menu consists of 7 new items: BBBLT Sandwich, Triple Bacon Sampler, Ultimate Bacon Breakfast, Pepper Bacon with Eggs, Bacon Flapjacks, Bacon Meatloaf, and Maple Bacon Sundae.  The BBBLT, Ultimate Bacon Breakfast, and Bacon Flapjacks can all be ordered with either the traditional Hickory Smoked Bacon, Turkey Bacon or their new Pepper Bacon at no additional cost (this isn’t really spelled out in the menu, so I thought I would let everyone know).  You can also order two slices of any of the three bacons as a side, for 99 cents (again, not spelled out on the menu, but I’ve been told the waitresses will be wearing pieces of “flair” letting you know this).

In general, if you like bacon, you’ll like this menu.  If you’ve always wanted more bacon than is socially acceptable, you’ll like this menu.  And if you’d like an inordinate amount of bacon for as good a price as you’re going to get these days (pork is at a ten year high), you’ll like this menu.  However, if you’re thinking this bacon menu is going to be full of fun, gimicky, adventuresome, bacon dishes, you’ll be a little underwhelmed.  Aside from the Maple Bacon Sundae, most of the items are pretty standard fare, just with more bacon.  This isn’t to say that the menu isn’tfull of good tastes and good value, it’s just to say that Andrew Zimmern probably isnt’ doing his next episode from the back of a Denny’s.

Again, more details to come, but I thought I should get something up as soon as I could, since this promotion is only 10 weeks long and started on Wednesday, the 22nd (you’ll have to do the math on when that has it ending).

18 comments on “Hitting the Road: Denny’s Baconalia!

1. Adam says:

This sounds great Murray. Very interested to hear your thoughts on that sundae!

2. mel says:

Had to check out what the sundae had it in it. Noticed vanilla is spelled wrong in the description of it on dennys.com. Nice.

3. skippymom says:

That bacon maple sundae made me want to throw up. Sorry.

And I misread the title – I did not see “Baconalia” I saw a [real] word that starts with “g” and ends in “alia”.

• Murray says:

Actually took me a while to come up with the word. Kind of embarassing for me. Or maybe my mind just isn’t in the same place yours is.

• Mikey says:

Help me here Murray, apparently I’m less edu-ma-cated than you…or sumthin. I’ve been sitting here trying to think what this word can possibly be. I’ve even been sounding it out “Guh…..alia”, still nothing comes to mind. WTF if this word?!

• Murray says:

Put your mind in the gutter. Then ask yourself: Are you thinking about the right GENAration? Stop chasing your TAIL and figure this out.

4. Adam Bomb says:

I’m down with the maple bacon sundae for sure. And the bacon meatloaf would probably be decent. I had bacon brownies made by a friend recently and they were actually really excellent.

5. Chefprotoss or dan says:

I love bacon as much as the next guy but from a business standpoint this promotion is just awefull. Hope you had fun though.

6. Robert says:

On a positive note I love bacon. The down side is I would have to enter a Denny’s for this and I do not see that happening.

7. Vik the Viper says:

I do love bacon, however I think this is an excellent example of people getting carried away… I’d even be all for a bacon festival, but I don’t think this is the way to go.

8. somesteve says:

you.can.not.go.wrong.with.bacon. bacon = the food of the people!

9. maxchain says:

More like Baconphilia.

Sign me up.

10. super eric says:

Bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips…

11. markinarlington says:

baconBaconBACONNNNN!!!!! New to this site, but my favorite quote you may not have heard is the model on Jay Leno who replied that not only does she NOT have to watch her diet to maintain her figure but her favorite dish would have to be “bacon-wrapped bacon-stuffed bacon with bacon sauce…” Serve THAT up, Denny’s!

For the next ten weeks, you can reach me at Denny’s; after that, call my cardiologist…

12. TomTom says:

Bacon is very easy to cook, and purchase. Why would I pay Denny’s to serve me precooked $#%@-bacon when I can make it the way I want at home.

13. TomTom says:

Bacon sundae……. PUKE………

14. [...] people with weird names like Marvo and people with weird interests like Mr. Baconpants.  I traveled all the way to Denny’s HQ in South Carolina just to try their bacon and explored foods much closer to home by asking What the [...]

15. [...] more, you guessed it, bacon and a drizzle of syrup. $2.99I really have to give Denny’s credit for bringing back Baconalia. They received quite a bit of scrutiny during the first run, but it didn’t phase them. [...]