New Burger King Chicken Tenders Take The Place Of Crown-Shaped Tenders

Thanks to GrubGrade reader Justin for submitting the picture and info. The Burger King Crown-Shaped Chicken Tenders (read my review) are no more.  They have been replaced by this:

They are called, simply, Chicken Tenders.  Described by Justin as “slightly thicker and softer like a Wendy’s nugget” (as compared to the old, dry Crown-Shaped Tenders).   Another shameless plug, read my Wendy’s Nuggets review.  So on to a little bit of research, I stumble upon some details over at the BK website (and make sure to visit Burger Business for some extra details too).

Described by Burger King like this:

Four pieces, eight pieces, twenty pieces. But don’t let that limit you. If you want 24 of the new, crispy Chicken Tenders, just order a twenty and a four. Thirty-two? Order a twenty, a four and an eight. What’s that you ask? You want an odd number of Chicken Tenders? Easy. Order any amount, take one, dip it in some BBQ, Honey Mustard, Ranch, or Sweet & Sour sauce, eat it and presto. An odd remainder. (Frankly, most of the mathematical variety here will depend on you eating a few. Mmm. Crispy, delicious mathematical variety.)

According to BK, 4-pieces will clock in at 190 calories and 11 grams of fat. So anyways, thoughts… opinions?  Have you tried the new BK Chicken Tenders?  Did you ever sample the Crown-Shaped?  What’s your favorite fast food chicken nugget or tender? Maybe the classic McDonald’s McNuggets? (read our review)  Or how about the (highly-praised by GrubGrade) simple Chick-fil-A Chicken Nuggets? (read our review) Popeye’s Louisiana Nuggets? (read our review)  Which fast food chicken nugget gets your vote?  Let’s discuss :D

54 comments on “New Burger King Chicken Tenders Take The Place Of Crown-Shaped Tenders

1. Marvo says:

McDonald’s McNuggets + McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce = WIN

2. skippymom says:

Ditto what Marvo said. I love them with the hot mustard. If my health could afford it I would eat a 20 pack. YUM. Guilty pleasure.

The crowns were always nasty to me like they were baked instead of fried and mushy.

3. Adam says:

I actually LOVED the Crown shape tenders. I like the breading; it reminds me of the breading of baked chicken nuggets you get in frozen food. But I am a nugget junkie, obviously :)

4. Andi says:

I don’t think there could be anything better than McDonald’s McNuggets in the formed chicken nugget/tender category. But nugget/tender overall… darn, it’s really tough between Chick-fil-A and Zaxby’s… Really tough…

5. Courtney says:

Chick-fil-a nugget’s all the way! Love those things.

6. aw man. i miss their OLD tenders. if they had to change it, why not just go back to that?

7. HolyFruits! says:

These kinda look like the old tenders before the crowns. Does anyone know if these taste any different?

8. Alma says:

I just ate bk n had a craving for there tenders n couldn’t believe they changed them the new ones r horrible there like Wendy’s nuggets I vote they go back to the crown shaped ones

9. J.B. says:

Well it is properly shaped now, but no one can ever take my love for McNuggets away.
    I prefer mine with Sweet & Sour sauce but I love that Mulan sauce they had for awhile too.
    The hot mustard is excellent also.

McNugget run tonight. mmm

10. JLEW99 says:

I am always a value menu buyer, and my last trip to BK, got the 4 piece tenders expecting the crown shaped usual tenders, but got these and was pleasantly surprised. These are worth the $1, similar to the taste of the old nuggets, these only differ in texture it seems, and its in a pleasant way. Although they are better, these still rank towards the bottom of my fast food nugget hierarchy.

11. Patrick says:

Nice, I’m going to have to try these next time I have money for lunc haha. I love all sorts of chicken nuggets, so I’m up for it. And I actually really liked the old crown nuggets lol

12. Marvo says:

Hmm…Not one vote for BK Chicken Fries. Although, those probably doesn’t count as chicken nuggets.

13. Tom says:

I just had the new chicken tenders at BK and they suck. I didn’t even eat all them. Bring the old ones back.

14. Mary says:

I agree with Tom. The new nuggets SUCK!!! My kids hate them too!!! Bring back the crowns!! I’m never buying those again!!! I will gladly give my business to McDonalds!!!

15. Fay says:

My kids’ favorite nuggets used to be Burger King’s. NO MORE! They hate the new nuggets and so we don’t go there anymore. It’s a bummer because BK is close and I really like their grilled chicken garden salad. I was hoping it was just that they ran out of nuggets one day and had to make a quick trip to the grocery store (because they taste like the frozen grocery store nuggets). But alas, I see that this was not a temporary thing – boo…

16. Natalie says:

Chick-fil-A will always be my fave nugget. As for ones I can get in AK, McDonald’s wins easily. I’ve never
    liked Wendy’s or BK’s nuggets. Carl’s Jr’s tenders are good, not sure if they have any type of nugget on their menu.

17. Carl says:

BK used to be my kids favorite nuggets. They HATE the new ones. Oh well, sorry BK.

18. Dude says:

Just got BK. P’O’ed they screwed up my sandwich but I ordered a four piece I could fall back on. What. Are. These???

They’re like chicken mcnickels. There is ONE reason they switched to these nuggets as opposed to the crown shapes and it has nothing to do with the crowns being too “kiddie.” These new nuggets are tiny. If they aren’t at least 30% smaller I’d be stunned.

It’s the lamest fast food trick in the universe. What’s the ONE alternative to raising prices? Shrink portions. Either I’m still growing at the age of thirty or fast food gets smaller every year.

19. John says:

I’m with all the people who hate these new nuggets. I loved the old ones, and went to Burger King semi-regularly. My three year old loved the nuggets too. We went the other day and were “treated” to these new nuggets. I personally didn’t like them–I didn’t even manage to eat more than 4 or 5 of my 8. And my two year old? He tells his mom, “These nuggets bad mommy.” Quote unquote. If the new nuggets don’t pass the adult test, that’s one thing. But if they can’t even pass the test of my three year old (who eats pretty much anything), then that’s really a problem. Guess I’ll start going to McDonald’s again…

20. maxchain says:

Thank goodness, I’d lose all my street cred if I were seen eating things that were crown-shaped. And also dry as hell. I didn’t know Popeyes HAD nuggets, though; I’ll get back to you after I try those too.

21. Kim says:

OK, let’s be real people. These are not “tenders”. They are nuggets. Don’t know why they call them tenders as chicken tenders got their name from the chicken tenderloin they were from. When something is described as a chicken tender, I expect it to be much longer in shape and made from an actual tenderloin. You don’t find those much anymore. Perhaps I’m just expecting too much. I was going to try them for lunch today, but after reading review, I think I’ll pass. But I’m getting really tired of McNuggets and after eating more than 4 Wendy’s chicken nuggets, they start to taste funny. Maybe I’ll have to splurge and spent my entire lunch break waiting in line at Chick-fil-a for their chicken nuggets.

22. [...] New Burger King  chicken tenders. [...]

23. It’s about time they did this! I hated the old crown-shaped nuggets and always opted for the chicken fries instead.

24. Raelsmar says:

The new tenders are awful. The crown-shaped tenders should be brought back. Apparently many consumers agree, at least that the new ones are terrible. These were probably the only things on the menu that did not need to be changed (their fries are a joke). I’m really crossing my fingers on this one…

25. Tony says:

Alright yeah I went to BK about the day after they started doing this new “tenders” crap. In all actuality I was hungry as hell, but after looking at them smelling them and tasting them I can say that THEY SUCK! The crowns were dry you say? Bah they were perfect whether dry or not I loved the hell out of those things. Now I dont even go to BK. If I want chicken anything I go to Wendy’s, and yes it’s b/c of the new un-tenders. The BK CEOs have mugged this one u[ rather bad.

26. Jenn says:

The new chicken tenders are disgusting. I don’t like the nuggets at McDonalds (the texture is just too far off from actual chicken) and my kids won’t eat them. In fact, my picky eaters won’t eat much of anything. It was really nice to treat them to the chicken crowns at Burger King once a week and know that they’d eat every one. When we went last week and found our crown nuggets replaced with these mushy, oily, pressed-chicken pieces, none of us could palate more than one. Boo.

27. Jenna says:

These new nuggets are gross! They are hard and very bland. Maybe if i dipped the whole thing in ketchup, But thats what i loved so much about the old tenders. They were delicious on their own.

I miss when BK just had the actually tender shaped tenders. The crowns were good to tho. I wish they would go back to those.

(But for the record, the crowns were my favorite and mcdonalds were my 2nd, but only with a ton of ketchup.)

28. Kelly says:

The new ones are disgusting. I hate them and so does my daughter. I just called BK corporate to file a complaint. I encourage more people to do this, the gentleman I spoke to said they actualy have a whole dept right now dedicated to taking reviews of the new nuggets. They recieve all the complaints that are filed. Please help bring back the crowns! I don’t want to eat those bland, greasy McD’s nuggets but they’re better then the grossness BK just put out.

29. Dude says:

I agree on the old, old tenders. When they were closer to strips? Those were the best.

I’d also like to comment that I tried one again after the intital taste test. These things give you the grossest tasting burps lol. Smaller, terrible taste and gross burps. No more BK!

30. Jennie M. says:

I just tried these today…what a massive disappointment. They reminded me of the dry, rubbery wafers they called chicken nuggets in my my old high school cafeteria.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to pay for these because I got a flyer in the mail for a free four-piece with no purchase required. The picture on the flyer looked just like the nuggets from McDonald’s and I love those, so I figured they would be worth a try.

Oh well, I still love their double cheeseburger and their fries. I just hope these nuggets aren’t an indication of a last ditch effort to save themselves if they are struggling.

31. Nicole says:

I unexpectedly got these when I went to Burger King recently. Just looking at them I could tell they weren’t going to be as good as the crown shaped nuggets. They were small and bland. They were just absolutely awful. I went back again to see if they were any better and they were just worse. Burger King’s chicken nuggets were my favorite, but now I doubt I’ll go back there if they still have the new chicken nuggets.

32. april says:

I have a 5 year old that I thought would eat anything I seriously caught her eating an old cheeto from under the couch she trie these new nuggets and gaged she spit it out on the floor and refused to take another bite and asked me to promise not to buy those ever again

33. john says:

the new nuggets suck!!! bring back the crowns, now i have no reason to go back to burger king. i am bouycoting untill they bring them back!!!!

34. Erin says:

I’m at Bk right now and just tried the new nuggets. I HAD to get online to see if I was the only crazy person who didn’t like them the way I loved the crowns. My sons eating them but they are way boring. The crowns had such a distinct flavor. These are average and common flavor. BRING THE CROWNS BACK.

35. James says:

The crown nuggets were my favorite, easily above McDonalds and Wendys…and wendys is literally right down my block. I didnt care if BK was a little bit longer of a ride the crown nuggets made the trip worth it. Now I have go to sub-par wendys nuggets.

36. Brad says:

I just tried the new BK chicken tenders, and am disappointed. Their flavor is significantly weaker than their previous tenders, and otherwise they seem unchanged. I used to eat them without any ketchup, but now I cannot because of the weak taste

37. Jscratch38 says:

These things suck for real. They taste like that frozen bullcrap we got in high school. I remember seeing the commercial and I’m like those look pretty boring and they were plus nasty. Back to McDonalds for me

38. Miranda says:

The new nuggets SUCK!! I miss the crowns! I even miss when they were always different shapes. Also the mozzarella sticks they used to sell for $1 me n my friends would always get fries(back when they first changed them when they actually tasted good) the shaped tenders and mozz. Sticks all for under $5. I boycott BK til they change back which im sure they will.

39. BK says:

THESE NEW “TENDERS” ARE TERRIBLE. NO TASTE WHATSOEVER. HORRIBLE BLAND CHUNKS OF GARBAGE. THE SPICY TASTE OF THE OLD TENDERS IS LONG GONE. YOU TOOK AWAY MY FAVORITE MENU ITEM, GOODBYE BK.

40. Zim says:

I first tried these by surprise. I am probably the only person who has ever actually worked at a fast food place and still loved their food. I ate the old nuggets like a nut case.

That was easily the only time I hated BK outside of work.

After ordering and starting my walk home, I decided to look into the bag to see that they got my order right. I opened the bag and found that the put cheese on the burgers, which I asked for no cheese, mayo on the spicy chicken sandwiches, I asked for no mayo, I was infuriated. I knew my 4 piece nuggets must have been ok. There is no way to ruin a nugget short of leaving them frozen. I was of course wrong. I found my nuggets to taste like PERDUE chicken. If I wanted frozen Acme chicken, I would go to wendy’s. fail to the new stuff! Down with BK and all of it’s past goodness! The cake is a lie! (for those who get that portal reference)

41. Paul says:

I used to drive 60+ miles on weekends for chicken crowns. Now I wouldn’t drive 60 yards for this new chicken. Horrible taste!

42. someone says:

I hate them!!!!!! I want my f***ing crowns back!!!!!! NOW!!!!!! I WILL SUE BURGER KING, I USED TO EAT THERE ALL THE TIME!!

43. Natasha says:

My mother and I stopped and got a 4 piece chicken tenders from Burger King on the way to my midwife appointment and I have to agree with the majority of commenters here. These things are horribly disgusting compared to the old ones! My mom tried one as well and she could not even eat the whole thing. What a waste of $1! They are bland and tasteless. Also these are not tenders, they are nuggets. And just to let everyone know, I had an idea after eating these excuses for tenders why whoever thought of this garbage made them so bland. I believe that they were formulated this way because the freaking genious who thought of these things intended them to be slathered in sauce before eating. Newsflash BK! You know that people could eat the old ones just fine without sauce. What a way to ruin people’s health by promoting these “new” horrible, bland, unappatizing, disgusting things. Truly good chicken tenders do not have to be slathered in sauce at all. Now that my rant is over, does anyone have the number to the complaints board?

44. Anon says:

I loved the old chicken tenders. I got the new ones and thought it was a bad batch, so we got another meal from a different BK. Same thing. They’re disgusting. The old ones had such a unique flavor. Some days I’d want McD’s, sometimes BK. Now that BK’s has changed, I guess it will always be McD’s.

45. why god... says:

this isnt burgerking… this is crap i miss the old nuggets these have no flavor they make you HAVE to have a sauce with it FML

46. Natasha says:

Hmmm… I thought it was very late pregnancy talking when I ate those chicken tenders because my taste buds really did not have a taste for too much meat. That was 19 days before my daughter was born. Anyway, I tried them again just last month and I still have the same thing to say about them. EEEEwwwww, never again!

47. Mike says:

I’ve stopped eating at Burger King. These things suck. They taste exactly like Mcdonald’s nuggets. I hate those too, and don’t eat there either. I now eat at Arby’s and not for the nuggets, but the seasoned fries are good, and have kept me coming back. Until they return to the tenders of old (which I doubt will ever happen) I just won’t eat at Burger King. I’m sure they lost a few customers.