Compliments To The Chef: Twice Grilled BBQ Chimi at Fajita Grande

I remember when I started GrubGrade I really just wanted to focus on the little unknown hole-in-the-wall spots that aren’t recognized much.  My odd fascination with the quick-serve industry has made GrubGrade better known as a “fast food blog”.  Well, I figure there is always room for anything grub related, so from time to time there might be a post about something that less than 1% of my readers will relate to.  That brings me to one of my new favorites that I’d like to share, which can be found in a little Mexican joint in my hometown.  The Twice Grilled BBQ Chimi from Fajita Grande in Frederick, MD.

Steak & Chicken fajita, with cheese, onion, pepper, pasted with baja BBQ sauce & grilled, served with rice, refried beans, lettuce, pico, cilantro & sour cream

I subbed out the refried beans for black beans and enjoyed some of the best grub I’ve had in a while.  What you’re seeing here is basically a chicken and steak stuffed burrito topped with BBQ sauce (yeah I’m pretty much obsessed with BBQ sauce) and served on a sizzling fajita skillet.  BBQ sauce on a burrito?  Yes, oh yes.  Amazing.  This isn’t a review, just a shout-out to whoever concocted this beauty.  I applaud you.
Fajita Grande on Urbanspoon

12 comments on “Compliments To The Chef: Twice Grilled BBQ Chimi at Fajita Grande

1. skippymom says:

I love when you post stuff from Frederick, since we are so close and can enjoy them too. Thank you. [Sorry, not trying to make anyone else jealous, but.....yay for us. :)]

That looks AMAZING. I think a road trip is in our future. :D

2. Colin says:

I still have dreams sometimes about ChiChi’s twice-grilled BBQ burrito. I’m quite jealous of you, sir.

• Ryan says:

I never knew ChiChi’s had that… Haha, that makes a lot of sense actually, figuring that all ChiChi’s in the U.S. shutdown after that Hep A debacle and there used to be a ChiChi’s restaurant within a half mile of this Fajita Grande location. Surely some borrowed inspiration. :)

3. Chefprotoss or dan says:

Kudos to them for presentation. That looks awesome. If there is one thing that drives me insane its the standard mexican joint white oval plate with beans and rice on the side. I feel like I’m eating in a caffatieria. I agree with skippymom too. People in the rest of the country should be forced to learn how good the food in the DMV is. Its so underratted.

4. Keith says:

Ryan, I was just in Frederick this past weekend at Brewer’s Alley – good times! Next time I’m in town I’ll have to check out Fajita Grande….

And Colin’s got it right – ChiChi’s was famous for it’s twice-grilled BBQ burrito. It used to be my favorite place as a kid until it got shut down for rat feces and what have you.

Anyway, back to Frederick, so many great places to eat (and drink) there. Love the suggestions – I’ll be there again as soon as the weather turns.

• Helldog says:

Got food poisoning from Chi Chi’s in Kalamazoo for my 21st birthday. Actually got paid $300 from their lawyers for my inconvenience of eating an enteric virus. *gags* There were maybe 100+ people who got sick.

5. Keith says:

1992 ChiChi’s Twice Grilled BBQ Burrito Commercial:

Now with free fried ice cream!

6. Mattitude says:

Looks delicious!!!! But it does look like I will need Mylanta close by not long afterwords! But oh well, it would be so worth it!

7. Amy says:

You just made me hungry.

8. Natasha says:

Its actually a Twice Grilled BBQ Chimichanga! And it is theee best!! LOVED IT!! and MOST OF ALL i love this place!! Everyone must come out and try it!!

9. jesi says:

if you dig that, Qdoba has a bbq pork burrito thats pretty darn good.