Why I Love Walmart…

…Because any self-respecting American with an once of personal financial savvy knows that you can just go buy a tub of artery-clogging frosting and packaged shortbread cookies and be set for life. But only Walmart fulfills my nearly decade long quest to rediscover the single most awesome elementary school lunch box treat ever conceived on this blue orb: Dunkaroos

It’s been far too long, my Australian friend. Your unit price may be ridiculously high, but you thanks to Walmart, you’re no longer just a memory. All that’s left is for me is to dig that old Star Wars lunchbox out of the basement and trade away that turkey sandwich for a bag of UTZ chips and the perfect 4th grade lunch experience is recreated.

20 comments on “Why I Love Walmart…

1. Ali says:

I am going TODAY to see if I can find them. For a short while in 2004-2005, I was able to find Shrek-themed boxes at Target, but then they disappeared completely. Please come back to me, little darlings.

2. Tyler M says:

I REMEMBER THESE!!! I barley remember them, but remember them enough to know that used I love these!

3. Nathan says:

Dollar General has Dunkaroos as well. I think the cinnamon with the white frosting are the only ones available now.

• j says:

My sister found the vanilla cookies with chocolate frosting. Yummy.

• Maggie says:

I buy these at Dollar General too! My roommate a few years back and I spazzed out before asking where she got them. I’m so glad that was one of the maybe three conversations I had with her.

4. Francois says:

I’m trying to figure out why the filename for the Dunkaroos picture was named “Nova-and-Lox-011.jpg”. Don’t get me wrong, though. I’m a big fan of Nova lox, but thinking of combining the two with some Dunkaroos made me feel slightly ill.

• Adam says:

We can’t sneak anything past you, can we Francois? :)

Lets just say when I uploaded these they were part of a set for a review to come. Although, now that you think of it, maybe I should start topping bagels with frosting and smked salmon? Mmmm

5. Steve says:

Dunkaroos! Oh my, I forgot all about these. Must find.

6. Chuck says:

I found these at Costco a few years back and… well how could I not buy them! So good. Which do you like better, the chocolate icing with chocolate chips dunkaroos, or the confetti vanill icing with the graham dunkers?

• Adam says:

I like the Confetti iceing ones. Or at least I think I like them better :) I seriously used to live off these things. They made the lunchbox EVERY day. When they went out of style, that’s when mom starting putting crap like those Peaches and Cream Special K Bars in there.

• Chuck says:

Oh man, Special K bars are the worst! Do you remember String Things? It like like gummy fruit snack string on white wax cardboard and it was in different shapes (like a car) and you peeled it off and ate. Man, I loved that stuff. Those, and Golden Grahams smore’s bars- they’ve kind of brought those back, but they’re not the same.

• Chuck says:

Damn Special K bars! I used to love String Things- remember those? The gummy fruit string wound in a shape on rectangular wax cardboard? I loved those- those and Golden Grahams smores bars. They’ve kind of brought those back, but they’re not the same.

7. somesteve says:

dunkaroos. wow, that takes me back. good stuff

8. Mikey says:

Looks like I’m going to Wal-Mart tomorrow!

9. jesika says:

omfg yeah!! grats to you for finding these. does anyone remember Koala Yummies as well? they were little cookie koalas filled with chocolate or peanut butter, and they came in a cool octogonal container. i used to eat them all the time around 1994 or so.

10. mitchery says:

I was just talking about these the other day. Now I know where to find them. Thanks Adam, awesome discovery!

11. Mikey says:

I went to Wal-Mart today and scoured the aisles for nearly 20 minutes. They didn’t have them! (Ohio) So I guess I’m gonna have to sneak into Dollar General and take a look…

12. aw man blast from the past. throw a crappy lunchables pizza in the mix and i’m set.

i wish you could find ecto cooler at wal-mart, too.

13. Michigan says:

has anyone had luck in Michigan?