Food News: Sonic Launches New Pure Beef Hot Dogs

Sonic touts itself as America’s Drive-in, and has been pushing their “new” hamburgers for the first part of 2010, but this March they’re devoting some attention to the humble hot dog by adding four new, 100% pure beef dogs to the menu. Here’s a look at the new products.
The Chicago Dog

Got love for the Windy City? Then try SONIC’s Premium Beef Chicago Dog. A 100% pure beef hot dog topped with pickle, relish, tomato, sport peppers, celery salt and mustard all served up in a soft, warm poppy seed bun (440 calories, 20 g fat, 7 g sat fat, 17 g sugar, 14 g protein)

The Chili Cheese Coney

Want something filling that’s also a great deal? Try SONIC’s Premium Beef Chili Cheese Coney. It’s a grilled 100% pure beef hot dog topped with warm chili and melty cheddar cheese served in a soft, warm bakery bun. (420 calories, 25 g fat, 11 g sat fat, 4 g sugar, 19 g protein)

The New York Dog

Get a taste of the Big Apple with SONIC’s Premium Beef New York Dog. A 100% pure beef hot dog grilled to perfection and topped with spicy brown mustard, grilled onions and crunchy sauerkraut in a soft, warm bakery bun. (350 calories, 19 g fat, 7 g sat fat, 4 g sugar, 14 g protein)

The All American Dog

Take a bite out of Americana with SONIC’s Premium Beef All-American Dog. It’s a 100% pure beef hot dog that’s grilled to perfection and topped with ketchup, yellow mustard, relish and chopped onions and served in a soft, warm bakery bun. (390 calories, 18 g fat, 7 g sat fat, 15 g sugar, 17 g protein)

These all look really good if you ask me, and innovative as well. I love the concept of a poppy seed bun for the Chicago Dog, as well as the grilled onions for the New York Dog. I just wish they could have included a chargrilled ‘Buffalo Dog’ in honor of my favorite hot dog chain, Ted’s. If you could have a fast food chain coin style of hot dog after your hometown, what would it be?

29 comments on “Food News: Sonic Launches New Pure Beef Hot Dogs

1. maxchain says:

After my hometown? It would be completely unexciting, and also frozen three months of the year.

2. J.B. says:

Jesus, did everyone wake up this month and decide they were going to sell Chicago hot dogs?
    There must have been some sort of food trade show or something that promoted these.
    I went to Ann Arbor 2 weeks ago and Amer’s deli was selling them and we have a local pizza chain called Happy’s Pizza and they now started selling them also in addition to that New York style one.

The Amer’s was high quality and seemed 100% authentic while the Happy’s one was cheapened out and not 100% authentic.

Who is going to be next to sell them, McDonalds, Subway?

3. James says:

These could be tasty if done well. I wish we had some Arctic Circles down here. Utah has some interesting regional chains. I could use a Blake’s too. Chiles + burger = good.

4. skippymom says:

I wouldn’t eat the Chicago Dog because it is just too busy – but give me the poppyseed bun on the American Dog and I will happily eat that all day long.

And why is everyone so cranky that others are selling the Chicago Dog outside of Chicago. Jeesh, not everyone can get to Chicago, so it is nice they are other places.

My Mom was from Brooklyn and lamented that she could never find a good Coney Island in the South. We made our own.

• J.B. says:

The problem with everyone doing it is that not everyone does it right, as evidenced by the one that I had today.
      That is how something good gets ruined and has a bad name.

If I had had the one that I had today instead of the other one I had two weeks ago first, I may not have been inclined to try another Chicago dog again.
      I thought that was self explanatory in my first comment.

• Adam says:

Everyone does it? I don’t know. Sonic is really the only national chain to break into hot dogs like this. When you say the “one” you had today, you mean the Sonic dog, right?

• Chris says:

Steak n’ Shake has hot dogs like these, has for a while too.

• Laura says:

Do they sell them for $2.00? A true Chicago dawg doesn’t need to sell for more than $2.50. Street vendors, walk up hot dog stands and “food trucks” sell some of the best ones, and they do it very reasonably. I love Chicago-style hot dogs (born & raised there and lived in northeastern IL for 47 years) so I’ve had more than a few. If anyone charges more than $2.50 apiece for them, you are getting ripped off.

• J.B. says:

I am confused, I have no idea which comment of mine you are replying to or referring to.

If you are referring to my first comment I clearly stated that I went to Amer’s Deli 2 weeks ago, therefore I could not be talking about that hot dog, thus defaulting to Happy’s. In addition even if I did not mention that, you should have been able to infer that I meant Happy’s as I stated that I was satisfied and happy with the one from Amer’s and that I thought the Happy’s one was cheapened and not as good.

Back to your question. My state went from having no Chicago style hot dogs to at least 3 different ones in a matter of a couple of weeks. That strikes me as strange and not coincidental. Clearly some vendor is pushing them, which is fine as long as they are done properly.

I think my asking if McDonald’s or Subway will be carrying them next is a valid question. As a matter of fact one of the Subway’s here in town was actually selling Nathan’s hot dogs for a little while.

5. J.B. says:

Ok, I just had the Sonic Chicago Dog and it was mostly ok.
    It was almost right but of course they had to cheapen it out by not putting the right kind of relish on it.
    They put the regular one on it that you use on your hot dogs at a backyard BBQ, not the proper electric green relish.
    Also not enough or not a good enough quality celery salt and mustard.

However, it is only $2 so it is good for the price that it is.
    The sausage they use is very good and the bun is almost as good as an authentic Chicago dog.
    These should sell well.

• Francois says:

Add a few drops of green food coloring to your relish then. I’m surprised that people hold that relish to a high standard. It really doesn’t taste that much different than other store-bought relishes. I’ve lived in Chicago and I’ve met a lot of “enthusiasts” that claim it’s one of the most important components (even more than the actual dog and bun in some cases!), which makes sense, because the hot dog really is overloaded with flavors. It needs to be “special” with the food coloring.

• Mike says:

I was thinking the same thing about the celery salt and mustard lack, which essentially equals flavor lack. The dogs seemed ok but just not the same.

6. Roger C. says:

J.B. is right, I’m starting to see a lot of places offer Chicago dogs. I had the Sonic one today. I’ve never had a real one. I’m sure it’s really good, but I’m starting to get bored of them. The Sonic one was pretty good though, but I am in no position to judge Chicago hot dogs.

7. Chris says:

my hometown? called the ‘southern illinoisian’, a pure 100% beef hot dog topped with religious bigotry and bad drivers, on a bun sprinkled with methamphetamine. DELICIOUS.

8. Chefprotoss or dan says:

Nothing beats a half smoke with chili onions and chees from bens chilly bowl here in dc. The rest of the country would be jealous if the knew what it was lol.

9. Natalie says:

Hmm, I don’t think there is an Anchorage style hot dog…well, we have reindeer dogs, but I don’t see reindeer meat going national.

There is one street vendor that I stop by a few times in the summer, I get a beef hot dog topped with onions…he cooks the onions in coca cola which gives them a unique (and good) taste. I add some brown mustard and I’m good to go.

10. Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

Mine would be a Wisconsin Dog… aka a Brat.

Seriously though, a Wisconsin Dog, as I’ve defined it, is a 100% beef frankfurter on a white bun, topped with cheese, chili, ketchup, mustard, and onion.

11. Chicagoan says:

keep it simple, keep it Hot Dougs.

12. IBeAnonymous says:

I love all beef hot dogs so I was real psyched about these. Today, I had the Chicago Dog, it was $2 and I made it a combo with medium tots and a medium drink for $2. It was really good! I’ve never been to Chicago so I don’t really have a frame of reference with other Chicago style hot dogs, but it was definitely one of the better hot dogs I’ve ever had!

Probably going to try the NY Dog next week.

13. the chicago dog looks pretty damn good. i should give this a try.

14. BeefertWeinerstein says:

Sooo…im NC bred n weve had the hotdogs for about a week. Had the Chicago style, and although ive never had the pleasure of visiting the Chi, Im happy to say it was definitely the best dog ive had my whole 25 yrs of living!! Umm..although the poppy seed bun must have opted to skip the party, and substituted with a sesame seed bun..I still enjoyed it. It was full of flavor, ensuring that every taste bud tickled, and most importantly; reasonably priced. Sonic, you most definitely got yourselves a winner weiner. XD hahahaha

15. Kaye Miller says:

Define 100% Beef…..Have THEY eliminated the by-products…..?

16. Jim says:

I am from Chicago, born and raised. I have eaten thousands of Chicago style hotdogs (I’m 52 years old) and Sonic’s are one of the best to an actual Chicago style hotdog that I’ve had outside of Chicago. Hotdog Heaven in Orlando, FL is the best outside Chicago. I do not know what company they are using, but it did not taste like Vienna. My guess is it’s Oscar Meyer which is still not bad, however, Vienna is the best.

17. Ginny says:

You did not put the sodium content on these dogs – that is one thing we need

18. rebecca says:

OMG!!! WOO HOO…I can try a Chicago dog in WV now…that’s awesome! My favorite dog from my favorite city. The last time I actually had one was while visiting Sarasota Fl. A family “from Chicago”…have a little grill (just by luck happened across it) and was able to enjoy Chicago dogs two days in a row. There’s a Sonic close to my home…curious to try theirs…not getting my hopes up until I try it considering it is Sonic and it is a chain.

19. rebecca says:

BTW…Next to Chicago dogs, the next best hotdogs can be found in Fairmont WV…home of the pepperoni roll. If ever passing through, try a Yan’s dog or a dog from Woody’s. They’re addicting!!

20. Mr Chomps says:

Be sure to eat that chili dog FAST! The bun does not hold up long enough for you to drive thru and get all the way home. And I’ve had the NY dog where they have piled on the kraut, and where they barely covered the dog. As usual, it’s left up to the sleight of hand of the employee of the minute. And the location in Rt 17 north in Hasbrouck Heights NJ is trying to break some World Slow Service Record. I probably should have bolted after a recent 15 minute wait – no kidding, I have a thing about casual generalizations of time, I clock watched! That’s a long time to spend in a drive thru AFTER ordering! And they are famous for coming out and trying to get your money before you reach the window. If you are at the window, even if you don’t have a big order, don’t be surprised to see a car or two BEHIND you get served their food while you’re still waiting. I got home and you guessed it, I was missing my onion rings.