Food News: Quad Steak Burrito from Taco Bell

Coming Thursday, January 27th to Taco Bell… the Quad Steak Burrito.  Featuring Taco Bell’s less rubbery/chewy new steak.  I sampled the new steak on a simple steak soft taco last month so I can vouch for the less rubbery/chewy claim… although I can’t confirm if it’s 100% steak… (wink wink).  The new Quad Steak Burrito clocks in at 690 calories, 26 grams of fat, 12 grams of saturated fat + 2210 mg sodium, 72 g carbs, 100 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 41g protein.

Four portions of Taco Bell’s new thick and tender steak, all wrapped in a warm flour tortilla filled with seasoned rice, fire-roasted salsa, reduced-fat sour cream and cheddar cheese.

31 comments on “Food News: Quad Steak Burrito from Taco Bell

1. Kevster says:

I was unaware TB had changed their steak. I actually preferred the “chewy” steak to their chicken or beef product fillings.

This burrito looks to be the perfect item to sample their “new and improved” steak.

2. Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

According to their website, they also have a Quad Steak Quesadilla as well as Double Steak versions of each for the wimps.

3. Gottfried says:

Wink, wink indeed. The whole “100% Beef” thing at McDonald’s is actually the name of the supplier. There is a lot of filler in their patties.

• James says:

Do you really believe that? If that were so, either the FDA or Dept of Commerce would have big honking lawsuits against them. The former for mislabeling filler beef as 100% beef, the latter for false advertising. Political hacks at regulatory agencies love lawsuit opportunities like that, it “proves” we need them.

4. skippymom says:

So if a “serving” [by healthy eating standards] is a deck of card size/4 oz – is this thing filled with 16 oz of steak.

I don’t understand the name or concept.

[Hope you know what I am talking about with the deck of card analogy]

• Scott says:

Yeah, but I don’t think they said “serving”, they said “portion”.

I think one serving (4-6 oz) is all the meat a person needs to fulfill their protein requirements for the day, although the chart says most men need around 2.5 servings of, let’s say, steak (two and a half deck of cards, which is about what I eat every day…..times 10).

Either way, I might have to go get my quad steak on this week.

• Shannon says:

I think a portion is an amount of steak that is predetermined by Taco Bell’s company standards to be used in their dishes. The commercial, I believe, is targeted at their existing customers who already have some knowledge as to what a portion of steak is as well as people who like steak and generous portions.

• David says:

I worked at taco bell. One scoop (portion) of meat is 1.5 ounces whether it is beef chicken or steak. so this item will have 6 ounces of steak.

5. Ryan says:

so whatever that might be :)

6. mitchell says:

OOOOMMGGGG!!!!!! NEW BURRITO AT TBELL THIS IS CRAZZZYYY IM SOO EXCITED I EAT THERE ALLLLLL THE TIME I LOVE 5LAYER I ALMOST LIVE THERE YEA U PROLLY THINK IM FAT NOPPEEE IM SKINNY AND PRO BMX FOR LIVEING SO YEA TBELLL CANIT WAIT TILL 2MARRO THATS 2LONG

7. Justin ST says:

I’m done with Taco Bell. I hope this sends a message to greedy fast food companies to stop messing with their food.

• Robert says:

Yep, Justin. You alone are going to stop every restaurant on the planet from putting out new products. WTF are you even complaining about? Do new products confuse you? Are you that scared of trying something new that the mere presence of a different combination of ingredients sends you into a tailspin?

8. John Hoy says:

i do not get where the quad fits in. are there four types of steak? four times the steak? taco bell makes up the strangest names for things.

• Mary says:

I’m totally with you. I heard this commercial 75 times and still can’t tell if its four times or four types. (Until I read this)

9. mattitude says:

mmmmmm…mattitude like!!!

10. Bobby C says:

I’m glad to see Taco Bell is putting something new out,
    really didn’t like the Beefy Crunch Burrito,

and I’m sad that they yanked the Cheesy Double Beef Burrito from the menu.

11. Michael says:

Does anybody know how much they are charging for this?

12. Michael says:

For the burrito alone or is that a combo? I’d really like to try this but I can’t justify spending that much on one item at Taco Bell. I could get four 5-Layer Burritos for $5.16!

• Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

You can get the “Double Steak Burrito” for about half the price of the Quad. Think of it like BK’s “Stacker” lineup.

• Ryan says:

The Double was $4.19 and the Quad $5.19 in my area… odd. I’ve always found Taco Bell prices to be wacky… especially when you stack up 4 or 5 value menu items to one premium priced item.

13. Kevster says:

The burrito is $4.99 and $5.99 for the combo here in the SF Bay Area

14. Scott says:

What? Really? $5.19? Hmmmmm….

I’m very sorry, Taco Bell, I think I’m with Michael here.

Although, to be honest, I’ll probably try one anyways.

15. Michael says:

That’s an interesting price setup. It’s only $1 more for twice as much steak. Assuming that the first two portions of steak were the same cost as the extra, that would leave just the sour cream, rice, salsa and cheese to cost $3.19 (based on The cost Ryan posted). Even if we were to state the steak in the double cost $2, that would still leave the cost of four “filler” ingredients at $2.19. Seems to me that Taco Bell is going to make a lot of money on this product on an inflated cost, or that they are hoping that they can sell a lot of the double steak burritos for 80% of the price even though there is only 50% of the expensive ingredient, steak.

16. maxchain says:

The burrito isn’t bad! The distribution could use a little work, though–when I started approaching the end of mine, the steak was getting scarce and the sour cream was nowhere to be found.

17. Justin ST says:

They should rename the restaurant Taco Fail. What are the odds of this place going belly-up soon?

• Scott says:

No! I grew up (late teens/early twenties) on this type of food. Now, I never hardly eat there anymore, but it’s not Taco Bell’s fault.

Unless something else better that’s also of Mexican persuasion replaces it (del Taco, Red Burrito?), I hope that Taco Bell remains financially strong into the future.

18. Why has it been so difficult for Del Taco to make significant expansion? Is this the fault of the company, or is it intentional as a way to assure their significantly higher quality of food?

I live in Michigan, and we’re just starting to get them in the area, but obviously nowhere near the prominence of the vastly inferior Taco Bell.

The funny (in a depressing way) thing about Del Taco is that while their ingredients are clearly higher quality (veggies are fresh, beef is actually beef, FISH tacos!, etc) their prices are competitive or a lot of times LOWER then Taco Bell.

It seems like the formula would be pretty simple, better food for less money! Del Taco > Taco Bell.

I’m crossing my fingers for more Del Taco!

Sidenote: Is it just me, perhaps my view is skewed from living in the midwest, but why does it seem like West Coast Fast Food chains are consistently way better?

While the midwest has the standard McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s, etc the West Coast gets In-N-Out! Even the same company screws us, for instance Carl’s JR is vastly superior to Hardee’s (at least from my personal experience) and of course the aforementioned discrepancy in the Taco industry.

It just seems to me, sadly, that west coast chains are more focused on producing a quality meal, am I wrong?

19. BrittanyR says:

Well, I just had my experience with the Quad Steak Burrito from Taco Bell. I don’t know if it was just horrible assembly at my local TB or if it is really as nasty as mine was everywhere. Does quad steak also mean quad rice and quad sauce? I couldn’t even get to the meat, and gagged on what I did eat. I like there other steak products, but this was awful!