Food News: Wendy’s Testing New Asiago Ranch Chicken Club Sandwich

Looks like select Wendy’s markets – including my own Salt Lake City market – are getting a sneak peak at a future Wendy’s menu item in the Asiago Ranch Chicken Club Sandwich. I’ve yet to have the sandwich (which retails at $4.89) but I did manage to snag a promo shot the other morning.

You can get the Asiago Ranch Chicken Club in your choice of three chicken fillets (Spicy, Homestyle or Grilled). All three versions come on a premium bun with ranch sauce, iceberg lettuce, tomato, asiago cheese, and applewood smoked bacon. The Spicy and Homestyle version clock in at 650 and 630 calories, respectively, while the Grilled comes in at 550 calories. For more nutrition information, see this Wendy’s website. $4.89 seems like a lot to ask for a chicken sandwich, but if the ingredients mold together, I can see this one working. What do you think? Has anyone out there tried it?

19 comments on “Food News: Wendy’s Testing New Asiago Ranch Chicken Club Sandwich

1. Justin says:

Wendy’s needs to move away from these ultra-expensive sandwiches. $4.89? Seriously, I can go to Chili’s or Fridays with those prices.

Oh yeah, Arby’s isn’t doing well? What a surprise. That happens when your chicken patties decrease in size and your fries…aren’t quite the same or fresh anymore.

I go to fast food restaurants because they are cheap and fast. If I wanted anything else, I’d go to Applebee’s or wherever. No combo meal should cost over 4 or 5 bucks.

2. Eric says:

Ah, if only it had Monterey Jack cheese instead…

3. IBeAnonymous says:

Could be good without the bacon (IMO) but in any case, I don’t think people like paying for all these fancy sandwiches. We go for quick and cheap!

4. Shannon says:

I think everyone is forgetting about the Angus third pounders at McDonalds. Where I live, those combos are 5.99 before tax. They appear to be doing fine. Frankly, I have never known what Angus beef is, what the deal is with all the Angus beef at these restaurants, and why it is so coveted. I do know that when I walk in a grocery store chicken breasts when not on sale cost a lot more than regular ground beef.

• Adam says:

Good point. This seems comparable in price to CFA’s Chargrill Chicken Club (actually, I think it’s cheaper.) Frankly, I think it would work better without ranch and bacon. If you introduce a cheese like asiago, pair it with something more Med. in flavor profile.

• Justin says:

In my neck of the woods, it’s 6 bucks this week for a pack of 10 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I know Wendy’s gets this for a lot cheaper. They’re making this for 50 cents a sandwich, tops.

• Todd says:

Justin – you are delusional. A sandwich with that much stuff on it costs way more than $0.50 even with Wendy’s buying power.

• nando says:

Angus is just a breed of cattle that is known for being tender, juicy (i.e. fatty), and inexpensive (though most don’t tout that last part).

5. rob says:

“Asiago” has been very trendy, I’m surprised they didn’t offer it on “Artisan bread” and bump the price up another 50 cents.

Okay I have been to a SuperTarget and I know what Asiago cheese is, but I will bet you $1 to $100 that when you bite into that cheeseburger, the slice of Asiago cheese tastes just like … fast food cheese.

Does Asiago cheese even come in slices?

I’m not too crazy about the “Applewood smoked bacon” either, I don’t care WHAT kind of wood they used to smoke the bacon, they could have used Orangewood, Pearwood, Peachwood, Avocadowood … it doesn’t matter, I don’t care if the bacon was smoked at all, so long as before it goes on my burger it gets fried … just get me some crispy bacon on top of my cheeseburger.

6. Justin says:

Yep, good call, rob. I tried the sandwich today (I’ll be writing up the review for tomorrow) and I could not taste any difference in the cheese, even trying it by itself. The bacon was excellent, though.

7. Julie says:

This sandwich sounds a lot like one they used to have as a ‘limited time special’. I think it was called the Monterey Chicken Sandwich. It’s been a LONG while since they had it but if my memory is correct it had monterey jack cheese, ranch with bacon pieces in it, lettuce & tomato. It was REALLY good. I haven’t been able to try this recent creation but I saw the signs for it in Nashville so I will have to at least try it once. I like that they are going to give a choice in regular, spicy & grilled!

• Justin says:

Whatever happened to that sandwich? Wendy’s is too corporate and ashamed to leave it on the menu? I remember that San Diego restaurants seemed to have it on the menu permanently, but I don’t know if that has changed.

• Aimee says:

I’ve been trying to get them to bring back the Monterey Ranch Chicken for a few years now. I guess I could make my own now that Hidden Valley makes Bacon Ranch, but Wendy’s had chopped tomatoes in their ranch sauce on those.

Instead of Asiago Ranch WHY NOT bring back Monterey Ranch? Isn’t that the one with the commercials where they guy had a Ranch tooth instead of a sweet tooth?

They had this one back in 92 or 93 that was a Patty Melt, I’ve never seen that one back on the menu either.

8. nando says:

This does not come on a premium bun. I ordered this the other day and it was the same bun as was used on my wife’s Single burger combo. I swear that Wendy’s only has one bun.

BTW, I would give it a 5, and I won’t order it again. The cheese wasn’t even noticeable (might as well not have been there) and I would much rather just have their spicy chicken sandwich.

9. Mikey F Baby says:

My local Wendy’s is serving this now, but at that price I refuse to even try it. it can’t be good enough to make me not regret that price.

Not to mention my Wendy’s refuses to use a $.99 menu, so EVERYTHING is overpriced. We miss you Dave Thomas.

10. Joel says:

i’d say the fact they use only center-cut chicken breast for their sandwiches is probably the reason for the higher price in comparison with other restaurants, like McDonalds or BurgerKing. If nothing else, it tastes better to me.. but I suspect there is also a significant difference in how good (or bad) it is for you…

worth investigating.

11. Shanon says:

BRING BACK THE MONTEREY RANCH CHICKEN SANDWICH, MUCH BETTER, BETTER FLAVER, BETTER LOOK, BETTER REPUTATION, SAME PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. John says:

Had their bkfst specials with Asiago cheese. Rate it a 2. Burger meat patty they use for bkfst is TINY. It’s only 3 times thicker than the slice of cheese. We noticed the smell coming off of the bkfst items with Asiago and it smells like vomit. Couldn’t believe it. Taste wise, Asiago is like swiss, only softer with a very strong distinct tangy flavor with that vomit smell. I will not order anything with Asiago cheese again. Bring back the Moneterey Jack cheese.