My 99 at Wendy’s = Value Menu Fail

I’m tired of the My 99 commercials from Wendy’s.  A 99 cent value menu featuring nuggets and the Double Stack among others.  Why is there no consistency with your restaurants Wendy’s? Just did a little test and found that 0 of 3 Wendy’s I visited showed no sign of “My 99″.  I see your commercials during prime time ESPN college football games so I’m just assuming the rest of the nation is as well.  Stop the tease!  A 5-piece nuggets at $1.39 and a Double Stack for $1.59 doesn’t really look like My 99 to me.  Wendy’s, you owe me 99¢. P.S. Your medium sized Frosty is seriously not medium.  Like all of your “Value” menu items that have shrunk over the years, the medium sized Frosty has suffered as well.  Anyone else lacking the My 99?

27 comments on “My 99 at Wendy’s = Value Menu Fail

1. Josh says:

Yeah…get on that soap box…here in VA nothing I want is 99 cents…if I go back home to NY chicken nuggets may be 99 cents but I haven’t checked in ages

• Raiders757 says:

I’m in Va. as well, but my nearest Wendy’s does have their value menu set at 99 cents. Same with the one near our military base. Go in the other direction though, you have the one by the interstate and the mall. It’s value menu is set a tad bit higher.

I’ve noticed that the value chicken sandwich has gotten smaller, but when I go to Wendy’s, I normally go for their main menu items. Despite it not being nearly as good as it was in the past, I do enjoy the spicy chicken sandwich. Lately though, I’ve been chowing on their burgers. My local Wendy’s is promoting a new thicker burger, and I must say, it’s really good. They’re still the same weight. They just shrunk the width in favor of the thickness. It really is an improvement, because over the past decade or so, their burgers have been lacking unless you ordered a double. Now you can order a single and still taste the meat. I have to give Wendy’s a big thumbs up for this. It’s about time they realized that their burgers had been lacking. In a day and age where every major chain has turned into a former shell of what they used to be, it’s nice to see one of them try and turn things around.

2. icy says:

the wendy’s around the metro detroit area don’t follow suit. it really grinds my gears when i go to wendy’s and expect a jr. double bacon cheeseburger for 99 cents instead everything is a dollar-nine menu. =\ it’s horrible.

3. drpep says:

I kind of stopped going to Wendy’s after not finding advertised .99c Double Stacks months ago. Several days ago I had a craving for Wendy’s fries so I hit the drive thru. Was shocked to find the previously non-existant .99c Nuggets so I got some to go with my fries.

The shrinking sizes of the Value Menu items is another reason I cut back on Wendy’s. McDonalds does it right.

4. RTGoodman says:

At my local Wendy’s (in Greenville, NC) the SPICY nuggets are only 99 cents, but the regular 5-piece nuggets are like $1.39. I think the Double Stack and some kind of chicken sandwich are 99 cents, though.

5. Adam says:

We have the value menu here in Utah. I really only get the 99 cent frosty off of it. I’m not a big fan of cheap hamburgers other than the Whopper jr. Too much bun for too little meat, like Raider said.

6. maxchain says:

5-Piece nuggets have never been ninety-nine cents at either Wendy’s in my town. EVER. Everything else that used to be a buck, like my sacred sour cream & chive baked potato, has slowly had its price jacked up and hasn’t looked back. They’ve seen the last of me.

7. Charlotte says:

Very funny, I went to Wendy’s yesterday and noticed their side garden salad went down from $1.50 to $.99, not sure why. They are way inconsistent but I was happy.

8. Seeker says:

Prices for the 99 cent menu have been the same here for the last…year? The only change was nuggets to $1.39 (spicy ones are better sometimes anyway) and Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers which they advertised with that pitiful commercial. Though Jr. Bacon’s were my only go-to item really, so that put a damper on things. Although their “normal items” are priced retardedly. A normal hamburger is $.99, but so is a double-stack? Also, for a normal cheeseburger it’s $1.09, but again, a double-stack is $.99?? I’ll save money by throwing out a patty! That makes perfect sense.

9. Bill says:

Read the fine print on the commercial. It says “Prices and participation may vary.”.

10. Aimee says:

I hate that a baked potato is $1.39 now. In a smaller container.

11. Moku says:

They lost me when they kept playing a merry go round with the cost of their value sandwiches when they introduced the Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger and the Deluxe Crispy Chicken Sandwich 2.99 value combo meals. The price of a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, Crispy Chicken sandwich, Deluxe Cheeseburger would always cost more when you wanted one. I really got pissed when they advertise a DELUXE Crispy Chicken value combo and at the store they just give you the Crispy Chicken sandwich. I now expect to pay 1.39-1.49+ if you want anything that you think is or was on their value menu so I just don’t go anymore. I can count on my dollars at MCD, BK, and Taco Bell. I also hated when they changed their combo sizes, but that’s another rant.

12. Nick says:

Only the junior cheeseburger and hamburger are 99 cents at my Wendy’s. Pretty disappointing I would agree.

13. Stephanie says:

Hey, at least no one lives in Alaska. I was there visiting my mom last summer and instead of dollar menus at these fast food places, it’s a $1.79 menu. I figure I don’t eat fast food often enough to be offended by a 9 cent price raise, we are already paying pennies for dog food.

14. IBeAnonymous says:

Went to a Jack in the Box recently, after seeing a commercial for their new Steak Bourbon Sandwich. They had jacked the price up, and the drive through was single lane so I couldn’t even drive away after seeing the menu! A lot of times people will just bite the bullet and get the sandwich even though it’s more expensive. Instead I sped up and just drove through when the person in front of me pulled away. I ended up going to McDonalds.

/cool story bro

15. gino says:

I feel like Wendy’s has always been inconsistent with pricing… Even weirder, I went to one local Wendy’s that had Pepsi products rather than the normal Coke ones… I assumed the whole chain had changed but, lo and behold, went to another Wendy’s a week later and saw none of my precious Mt. Dew.

16. Hassan says:

The Wendy’s by me is the worst when it comes to their prices. I can’t remember the last time they’ve ever took part of any 99 cent promotion. Everything on their value menu is at least 1.50 and above. Even when the 99 cent spicy nuggets were advertised, the Wendy’s here was selling them for 1.39. Not to mention the fact that their doublestack seems tiny for the 1.50 they sell it for. It’s a shame too, because Wendy’s burgers are really good, but they are seriously lagging in the price department when compared to BK and McDonalds.

17. I live in the Chicagoland area and the Wendy’s by me is also inconsistent in terms of pricing but the Double Stack, spicy chicken nuggets and the crispy chicken sandwich are 99 cents. I don’t understand why the regular chicken nuggets are $1.29 when the same size spicy nuggets are 99 cents. They’ve raised the price on the chili, the side salads and the baked potato, though. It’s disappointing, but I still go for the spicy nuggets and an occasional double stack.

18. rightclue says:

This is business.

It depends where you go in the nation. If you go somewhere that has a high cost of living (or simply has a stingy owner), then you won’t find what you want at the price you want (or even the quality you want)

So how about less whining, and more going elseswhere to eat and forcing this particular Wendy’s franchise to lower prices?

19. […] I see that, it means nothing because I’d figure the DC Metro area is a big enough market. My rant is all about consistency… Burger King and McDonald’s have consistent value menu prices, […]

20. Shannon says:

While I understand that this is business and the commercial does state that prices and participation may vary, no other major restaurant chain seems to vary so widely. I live in metro Atlanta and have noticed that Burger King and McDs manage to be much more consistent. Why is Wendy’s so special? I find it ridiculous that their recent commercial advertises “My 99″ when someone can’t go to one of their restaurants and expect to see those prices. I think that their consistency would sit better with their customers.

21. jfrit says:

Wendy’s current mgmt is right in tune with most other dirtbag int’l companies. their my 99cents ad is a phony come’on. they probably hope to undermine mcD because McD also gives the “participating” disclaimer. HOWEVER, you will never find a McD that is NOT participating in a current promo. don’t know how they figure they can fool most patrons. maybe were heartened by/after the last presidential election, indicating most young patrons are ignorant, gullible dopes, suckers for a “free lunch” bait.
    anyway, the tv ad campaign will eventually backfire in lost revenue.

22. JustMom says:

The “Everyday Value Menu” consists of just 8 small items. The Doublestack Burger has even been replaced by the significantly smaller Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe. Yet time and again, I have left Wendy’s empty-handed in utter disgust because several of the items on that list were significantly more expensive than the advertised price of 99 cents.
    Their tagline states, “Real Choices, Real Value, Everyday”. The statement “Prices & participation may vary” is noted in MINISCULE print at the bottom of the menu. While this fulfills their obligation to admit that they reserve the right to worm their way out of offering these items at the advertised price, it still feels like cheating.
    Do they really expect customers to call around to every local Wendy’s until they find one that will honor advertised prices? That would first assume that all such phone calls will be answered during peak hours of operation. That is very hard to believe, because it would take up a great amount of their staff’s time and slow down counter service. Asking in person at the restaurant for the prices of each specific item would lengthen the amount of time spent waiting in line for one’s turn to “check market prices” as it were. Neither option is very appealing. Better to do business elsewhere.
    My family used to LOVE Wendy’s for its unique menu. Now we don’t even bother to include them in our fast food options. I believe Dave would be disappointed by how far they have strayed from the family-friendly values he cherished.

23. Dayna says:

yes. my local Wendy’s has no 99¢ menu, either. it is on 1st and broadway, San Diego, California 92101. how do I complain. I’m getting angry at Wendy’s. like why play the commercial?

24. Trevor says:

The same thing happened to me. A cheesy cheddar burger is 1.49 in columbia maryland and there is almost nothing for a dollar. Almost everthing ranges from 1.29 to 1.89 on the “value” menue. I also tried a wendys on rt 40 maryland. There were two thinga on the menue for 99¢, apple slices and juicy juice.

25. Diane Pinkos says:

Just paid $1.39 for chicken nuggets listed on the drive-thru menu as 99 cents.
    Thought I was mistaken, so I went online to check menu….sure enough I wasn’t the only one complaining.

I can see where national advertising may be “available at participating locations,” but if it is listed on a location’s menu at 99 cents, that should be the price!!!!

26. JoeJoe says:

The 99 cent value meal at Wendy’s near NC State University in Raleigh on Western Blvd is no longer 99 cents, it changed recently to $1.119, $1.49, and $1.59. I guess I’ll be taking my dollars next door to MickeyD’s.