What Is Your Road Trip Snack Of Choice?

I’m “Hitting The Road” for the weekend and I wanted some opinions from the readers.  I always like to hear your suggestions, so fire away on this one. A 3-hour road trip requires some snacks right?  Heading to the store for a pre-trip snack run… What is your road trip snack of choice?

36 comments on “What Is Your Road Trip Snack Of Choice?

1. Bobby says:

My wife and I like the nut bars because the sweet and salt in is good proportions. They also don’t melt.

2. Em says:

Jelly sticks!

3. Eric says:

Munchos, hands down.

4. livlaugheat says:

trader joe’s gummy penguins (with the fruit bellies), junior mints, and something crunchy/salty.

5. Adam says:

Combos! The best road snack. Though it gets the steering wheel greasy. But thats ok.

6. Drea says:

Twizzlers! Bags and bags of twizzlers!

7. Shannon says:

Golden flake cheese puffs or curls, honey roasted cashews, and planters nut bars

8. Natalie says:

Beef jerky somehow became a necessary road trip snack for me in the past couple years, I never eat it when I’m at home, but put me in a car for more than an hour and I need it.

Yoo-hoo is another road-trip only indulgence of mine.

9. wibia says:

I am with Adam. Combos… Nacho or pep pizza.

10. Snookie want smoosh smoosh says:

gummie worms, slim jims, bag of chips and a monster/amp energy drink are a must.

11. Trung says:

For me it’s primarily drinks like coffee, tea, or a Red Bull that I rely on. But once I reach a rest station, I usually do pick up some Lance peanut butter sandwich crackers.

12. Mike N says:

Now a days, with the proliferation of Wal-Marts and convenience stores, it kind of seems like a non-issue (if you’re talking about planning before hand for some road snacks) but my classic road snack of choice is (are?) Necco Wafers, which kind of seem like the MREs of the hardcore road tripper.

13. Kristin says:

I LOVE smartfood popcorn. Also, combos are amazing (the cracker kind are preferred)

14. Al says:

Living in the Pacific Northwest, I’ve got access to the best potato chips ever, Tim’s Cascade Style Chips. Those are amazing to bring on a road trip.

15. J.B. says:

Cheez Um Pringles or Sour Cream and Onion, Combos, Peanut M&Ms, Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips and Snickers.

If that does not make you happy on a trip, I don’t know what will.

16. Tony jaguar says:

Corn nuts.

17. Mary says:

Pringles and gummy bears. And Pepsi

18. Raiders757 says:

Beer! …and directions to out of the way BBQ pits and diners. Obviously the beer is for those who have finished driving for the day. When it comes to munchies, I prefer something light and salty. If it’s something sweet, I still want something a little savory. That’s for long road trips though.

Personally, a three hour road trip isn’t all that bad, so I wouldn’t feel the need to stock up on anything at all. If it begins in the morning, a breakfast biscuit at McD’s will do, and maybe a couple of waters. I’m not big on coffee and such when stuck in a car for any duration. I drink it more as a treat, so I would bounce off the walls on a trip more than an hour. If I had to much on anything extra, it would be plain ol’ salty chips or beef jerky.

19. j says:

Boiled peanuts. Pretty much impossible to eat whilst driving, but so good when you’re just along for the ride.

20. Vanessa says:

I’d say mine is anything with peanut butter: Resee pieces, peanut butter m&m’s, peanut butter crackers, or a peanut butter sandwich. Guess you can tell I’m p.b obsessed!

21. skippymom says:

We are cheap and always pack our own cooler – so usually crunchy vegetables with ranch, grapes, cheese, crackers, beef jerky and cookies. Maybe a sandwich to eat at a rest stop a long the way.

22. Shannon says:

I forgot fresh fruit.

23. GiGi says:

I stock up on Whole Foods prepared food!!! So expensive, but oh so worth it! It gets me EXCITED for the long drive! ha ha.

24. sophia says:

Carrot sticks and apple juice.

Just kidding. I think there should be a mix of “junk” and “healthy” snacks though. You need some vitamin C to keep you awake, some protein to keep you strong, and good carbs to sustain you.

Thus I propose Warheads (citric acid, yo!). And Baby Ruth (whooping 4 grams of protein per bar!!). And them two combined should give you a healthy dose of carbs. :-)

25. wordisbond says:

gatorades and lots of other drinks. i usually don’t like to eat in a car ride unless i need to. in that case, usually stop for fast food burgers.

26. Chris says:

Swedish Fish!

27. Helldog says:

Jack Link’s Beef Steak Nuggets. So good. They helped me help my bro move to Syracuse one time, and they came through in the clutch. If you are near MI, Meijer makes their own that sometimes can be found on sale.

28. Crusader says:

Arugula salad and lean chicken breasts all in vacuum sealed containers. A half-sized bottle of merlot to complete the snack.

29. Jessica Leigh says:

Homemade zucchini bread and sweet tea in jars

30. JP says:

Combos (Cheese and cracker kind) and a Coca Cola! Nice site by the way! Get your grub on!

31. Deanna says:

Cheetos – take handiwipes.

32. bpj says:

Caramel Bugles, nuff said.