Do You Follow the 5 Second Rule?

From today’s Woot Shirt selection:

16 comments on “Do You Follow the 5 Second Rule?

1. maxchain says:

I think Mythbusters busted it, but eff that! I’ll still follow it if it’s my own floor and I paid enough for the thing!

2. Emily says:

TOTALLY! i once picked up a marinos italian ice off the floor within 2 seconds :)

3. Francois says:

It depends on the type of food and the general cleanliness of the floor.

4. Tracy says:

I do 98% of the time, especially at home. I know the floor is clean. After eating the skeevy thing your precious kid just handed to you while learning to share, you get over the germaphobe thing fast. If it lands on a city sidewalk, fast food restaurant, or most places outside my house most likely it hits the trash.

5. rob says:

I will eat anything, even if it has been sitting on hot pavement for a week and a half.

Buzzards have nothing on me.

6. Tony jaguar says:

Depends on the type of food and condition of the surface it falls on. But time matters not. I’m only concerned if I lose a visual. Overall not really concerned with germs, more so with fur and insect filth.

7. Jessica Leigh says:

On some surfaces, yes, but on others, no. I’ve also been known to eat the top off – the part that didn’t touch the floor. I did this once with a brand new rainbow flavored ice I had just bought from the ice cream truck when I was 8. I dropped it on the sidewalk, freaked for a second, then realized I could eat the top. Mom found me sitting on the sidewalk eating the top with a spoon. There’s even a picture somewhere.

8. Marvo says:

Five Second Rule? I thought it was the Ten Second Rule.

9. Gillian says:

I don’t care whose floor it is. If it even falls off my PLATE it’s going in the bin. We have a cat. The cat sits on the floor. What part of the cat is on (or very close to) the floor? His bottom. A dot of cat bottom. Cats sit down a lot. And don’t get me started about what is on your shoes.

10. Adam Bomb says:

Like others have said, it all depends on where I am, and what the food is. In public or unfamiliar places, I won’t eat anything that’s been on the floor!

11. Rachel says:

At home, maybe. Anywhere else? No way.

12. Vlad says:

No. I’m not gullible enough.

13. John says:

If you spend your entire life exposing yourself to normal amounts of bacteria, and not hiding in a bubble of anti-bacterial soaps and paranoia, your immune system is much more resilient. I keep a very clean home yes, but I’ll be honest. I pretty much will eat my food off the friggin dirt if I drop it. At this point, it’ll require Ebola to take me out. Although KFC did prove that wrong once.

14. Hi Folks-

I’m the author of The Five-Second Rule and Other Myths about Germs. You all have given good thought to the confusing issue of germs. Regarding the Rule, germs don’t care if you wait 5 secs, 20 secs, or a half-second. If enough disease-causing germs (pathogens) are on a surface AND if the surface contains any moisture, your food, if dropped, will pick up a small amount of germs. The good news is that pathogens exist in nature in very small proportion compared with other germs. In addition, each pathogen requires a minimum infective dose before it can make you sick. In most non-public, reasonably “clean-looking” places, you may follow the 5-Sec Rule without fear! Please search my book at Amazon.com. Good luck, and happy germs !!