Food News: Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets Are Back

Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets have made a return.  Only 99 cents for 5 seems like a promo deal too good to pass up.  We did a “First Impressions” post on these Spicy Nuggets back in December 2009 while they were in limited markets.  I can definitely see myself grabbing a couple orders of nuggets and a small Frosty for lunch today.

Nutrition Info for a 5-piece: 230 calories, 15g fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 14g carbs, 1g dietary fiber, 0g sugar, 10g protien.

14 comments on “Food News: Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets Are Back

1. skippymom says:

What do you dip yours in? I only like hot mustard – do you suppose that would be good? I am thinking ranch too. hmmmmm – and you said Frosty. I want one :)

2. Jessica Leigh says:

I love Wendy’s regular chicken nuggets, and I love the spicy chicken sandwich, but I don’t like the spicy chicken nuggets. I’m not really sure why. This is normally something I would like, but I think the spicy flavor is sort-of strange with these. Is anyone else with me on this?

3. 4X4, Animal Style says:

Yay! I’m glad these are back. Unfortunately, it’s only for a limited time. Why can’t these be a full-time item? I’m going to guess they go the way of the original Spicy Chicken. If you remember, it too was a promotional item that was so popular that it became a fixture on the menu.

As for my opinion: At least locally, these are hit or miss, because of the freshness of the breading. If it’s around a peak lunch or dinner hour, these are great. Think around 5-6PM or 11:30AM-12:30PM, when there is the most demand. If you get them well after hours, you may not be “eating great, even late,” because the breading is only comparable to stale bread, not to mention dry chicken. However, this will save me some money; I usually order the Spicy Chicken Sandwich w/ 2 Spicy Go Wraps, Large Drink. With the Nuggets coming back, this saves me around $1.50 each time through the drive-thru. When the nuggets are fresh, this is arguably the best item, taste and price wise, on Wendy’s Value Menu.

As for a suggested sauce? I love my sauce and spice, maybe too much. If you like both of those things, I highly suggest this sauce combo for any of Wendy’s Spicy Item (Chicken Sandwich, Nuggets, Go Wraps, Baconators, etc.): 1 BBQ Sauce, for each sandwich nugget order/Go Wrap, 1 Hot Chili Seasoning, for each sandwich nugget order/Go Wrap, and 1 Total Red Jalapeno Dressing, from the Baja Salad.

Is it messy? You bet! Is it spicy and delicious? Yes! My body has shivered from this sauce, as well as a large drink often proving to be not enough to tackle this sauce. I’d like to see what you think of all that.

• Raiders757 says:

Freshness of their breading? I seriously doubt they bread these things fresh. I am pretty positive they come pre-breaded in a frozen state, and are fried frozen.

• 4X4, Animal Style says:

This is true, I’m sure they come breaded frozen. Otherwise, we’d see just as many as for “Fresh, Never Frozen Chicken” as we do for Wendy’s burgers.

However, in this case, I meant freshness in regards to how long the product has been sitting out (or if it was just cooked/nuked) or if it’s an old shipment of nuggets, near expiring, rather than “freshness” (or frozenness) of the actual product.

4. Reviewscout says:

These things are a genius addition to the menu, a simple pleasure, but honestly they should mainstream this thing.

5. Justin says:

NO LIKE. Yuck.

6. J.B. says:

These just look and sound terrible and my brother had them the other night and was not impressed.

7. Q says:

Honestly, I never knew these were gone until they announced they were back O_o I guess I don’t eat that many chicken nuggets at Wendy’s.

8. Adam Bomb says:

I am SO glad that these are back! They had them at the local Wendy’s a while back, but they disappeared right after I first tried them. I was happy to hear that they had made a return, and I’ve already been back to have them again. I think that they’re a great deal :)

9. Mikey says:

Well I’ve ordered these on 3 separate occasions and never have I tasted a hint of spice. If anything it’s good to get 5 nuggets for $.99 again, but don’t expect much difference.

10. Raiders757 says:

I never knew they were gone. I tried them once, and they were rather “meh” at best. Wendy’s nuggets are a mere shadow of their former selves. I remember when they first came out. They were THE bomb. Then they had the great Wendy’s chicken switch out back in the late 90’s. The chicken sandwiches, although still good, suffered quite a bit, but the nuggets took it on the chin like a glass jawed boxer.

11. Kaitis says:

I swear that these things have never left in Florida.

12. Marcus says:

These are amazing, the give to a stomach ache after words though, maybe because I have 4 servings of them lol