Hitting the Road: GrubGrade in Michigan

Hey everyone, I’m in Ann Arbor, Michigan for a Domino’s Pizza blogger event going on tomorrow.  So maybe I’ll let them know about my idea of a pizza topped with Buffalo Chicken Kickers?  We’ll see…  So Domino’s has had a big year with an overhaul to their pizzas with changes to their sauce, cheese and crust.  So putting the BIG 3 against one another, which one is your favorite?

27 comments on “Hitting the Road: GrubGrade in Michigan

1. Justin says:

Big 3? Who is number 3? Papa John’s? I like Papa John’s, then Pizza Hut next.

I presume you’ll be trying out Zingerman’s there too? Watch out for the high prices!

• Ryan says:

Yeah Domino’s, Papa John’s and Pizza Hut are the Big 3. I had a poll to go up but for some reason it’s not embedding correctly.

As for Zingerman’s… I’m currently about 3miles from it so I might go if I get some free time.

2. RTGoodman says:

I don’t usually eat from any of the “Big 3″ since we’ve got a lot of nice local or small-chain pizza places here, but OH MY GOD I would love a Chicken Kickers Pizza. I would definitely try one of those if they started selling them.

3. skippymom says:

I think they did a great job with sauce change up – to me it is less sweet and I hate sweet sauce. Not everything needs sugar folks. :)

• Rachel says:

Ah ha … that’s what I always hated about Domino’s … it’s been so long since I’ve had it that I couldn’t remember, but I knew there was something that just turned me off about it … it was how darn sweet the sauce was. I like my pizza sauce “herb-y” with a lot of garlic and basil.

4. KC says:

1. Domino’s
    2. Papa John’s
    3. Pizza Hut
    Had one of them every Friday for the past few weeks to test that question for myself. I hadn’t had any of them in the past few years before this month. I actually used to like them in the opposite order, but Domino’s has greatly improved and Pizza Hut is on the decline.

5. GrubGradeFan says:

Dominos sucks, but I constantly order it because its the only place that delivers til 12am during the week and 3am on weekends. Im a night owl when schools in session.

Are the chicken kickers good? Ive always seen them, but considering thier pizza, ive always passed.

Local places are the way to go. Pizza Hut is my choice out of the Big 3.

• Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

Pizza Hut’s new commercials claim they “deliver ’til midnight or later”, so you might want to check that out. I think it’s a fairly new thing for them. I know ours used to close at 10pm, but now it’s open to 12am weekdays and later on weekends.

6. Mary says:

I love Pizza Hut beyond all others. I’ve never even had Dominos.

7. Nick t says:

I live in the New Haven,CT area, so I’m already inundated with world class pizza options. That said, I think Pizza Hut is the best of the big three. You didn’t list them here, but Little Caesars–probably part of the big five if such existed–has the worst pizza I’ve ever had.

8. Scott says:

Well, we should be talking which crust. Pizza Hut thin crust is the only option for me, I dislike the other crusts. Haven’t tried the new Domino’s yet and Papa John’s seems to be kind of overpriced here in Iowa. So what crusts are you picking at these locations? Also, did Domino’s only updated their standard crust, is their thin crust the same as it always was? Thanks.

9. Robert says:

If I have to get it from one of the big chains then it has to be Papa Johns. Then Pizza Hut. And if desperate Dominoes.

10. Dan L. says:

Dominos- 7.5/10 based on ok taste and great value
    Papa John’s- 7.0/10 based on good taste but poor value
    Pizza Hut- 3.0/10 based on god awful taste and so-so value
    Little Caesar’s- 8.0/10 based on good taste and excellant value

11. David says:

Locally Papa Ginos, Big three pick Papa Johns

12. maxchain says:

The big three, huh? Honestly, I’m not sure I like any of them more than the others–it just depends on what I’m in the mood for. If thin crust was the tiebreaker, it’d be Papa John’s. I used to swear by Domino’s thin crust, but apparently they felt compelled to run that through the Redo Machine too, and I’m just not as happy with the result as I am with their hand-tossed business.

13. Stephen says:

Well if we are only talking about the Big 3 it would be:

1) Dominos
    2) Pizza Hut
    3) Papa Johns

If I am ordering Stuffed Crust from Pizza hut it would take the number one spot.

If I am really looking for good pizza I go to one of the many Pizza places scattered around Saint Louis if you are ever in the area and want advice on places hit me up and I will tell you where to go?

14. DerangedHermit says:

I’m from New York, land of good pizza. Dominos is okay when it’s really cheap, but if it’s not cheap, then why bother getting it? There’s no shortage of GOOD pizza places in the NYC metro.

15. tom h says:

in my area, Donatos is the way to go for a chain… but the value isn’t so great. I used to loathe Dominos – but the revised recipe puts it near the top of the big chains. I dig the new crust, but it gets a bit greasy for my liking w/ the spice/butter topping they apply.

16. Raiders757 says:

Lucky for me, where I live in Virginia, we have a lot of family owned New York Style pizza parlors, so I avoid eating any of the fast food chain pizza whenever possible. If I have to pick from one of them, it always comes down to their specials, as their regular prices are a joke when compared the quality you get for only a dollar or two more from the mom & pop shops.

Papa John’s: Overall, they are the better of the big three. Better toppings and better pizza overall. They’ve been slacking on the specials as of late, and they’re pizza, as with all the other chains, isn’t worth full/regular price.

Pizza Hut: Second best of the big three, but not by much. Pizza Hut just isn’t the same anymore. Something happened between the mid 80’s and now, that has ruined their pan pizza. What was once a tasty treat, is now a pile of fluffy nasty bland grease. I have to agree with Scott though, Pizza Hut has the best thin crust pizza of the big three, but the rest of their options have gone down the crapper. If made right, their bread sticks are good, but that’s only if there is a lot of seasoning sprinkled on them. They’re made from the pan pizza dough, so they have suffered a little right along with it.

Domino’s: They shouldn’t even be in the big three. Despite the change in their standard pizza, it still taste boring and bland. Even Little Caesar’s makes a better pizza. The new sauce is boring, and where is all this tasty goodness that’s supposed to be on the edge of the crust. All I taste is a weak flavored garlic butter. It’s like they showed the garlic the butter, but forgot to add them together. I’ve tried the new pizza from a few locations now, and the results are the same across the board. Not enough sauce, so the pizza is dry, and not enough of the tasty garlic goodness I am promised in their commercials. Domino’s has been in epic failure mode for over two decades running.

17. Jessica Leigh says:

I was excited when I heard about Domino’s new pizza, but I tried it and it is not good at all. I liked the old one much better!
    I’d say Pizza hut is the best out of the “big three” with Domino’s and Papa Johns way, way, way behind.
    If I really want pizza though, I go to my local italian place. Mellow Mushroom also has amazing pizza.

18. Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

Is this where I come in and act like a pizza snob and say the BIG 3 pizza places you are referring to must be:

1. Polito’s – http://www.politospizza.com
    2. Glass Nickel – http://www.glassnickelpizza.com
    3. Cranky Pat’s – http://www.crankypats.com

No? I keed, I keed. Papa John’s, Domino’s and Pizza Hut in that order.

19. Canadian Jill says:

Too bad I didn’t see this post earlier! If you’re still in AA, try Cottage Inn pizza.

• Rachel says:

I’ve had Cottage Inn pizza and some of their other food like the cheesy bread, wings and salads. My brother worked at one in Toledo while he was in college so we’d get free food when I visited him. It was really good! Way better than typical delivery pizza I was used to. I wish we’d get some CI stores around here.

20. Chicken little says:

I tried the new Dominos w/white sauce chichen & bacon, & was hookd! I usd to hate them but now theyre @ the top of the list followed by an I cant quite put my finger on it but somethings changed pizza hut &i nevr got the hype & wud nevr buy if othr options were available papa j’s.

21. DHL says:

Pizza Hut for the Pan Pizza
    Dominos for fast and cheap
    Papa John’s for when I am in Florida and the In Laws order it…

22. Rachel says:

I don’t give much business to the big 3 since there are local places that blow them out of the water. And to be fair, I haven’t tried the “New” Domino’s pizza yet. But based on what I’ve had, Pizza Hut is #1 for me because I kinda like the deep dish crust. Papa John’s and Domino’s are equals in my book … I don’t care for either but if I’m starving and it’s there, I’ll eat it. Both have bland dry crusts. I guess PJ’s would get the slight edge since they give you garlic butter dipping sauce.