Food News: Pizza Burger from Burger King

This “Pizza Burger” story has been making the rounds for the past week or so.  So some genius at Burger King came up with Pizza Burger creation and, to me, it seems like an interesting shareable meal.  People might be baffled at the fact that this thing clocks in at 2,520 calories and 144 grams of fat, but seriously… it’s a meal for 4 right?  This Pizza Burger features mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce, pepperoni and pesto.  It debuts next month at the Whopper Bar in New York city for $12.99.  Thoughts?

23 comments on “Food News: Pizza Burger from Burger King

1. Manavee says:

Pizza burgers always disappoint me for some reason.

You would think that the combination of two awesome things, a pizza and a burger, would be an explosion of awesomeness. Unfortunately, it never seems to work out that way.

• Ryan says:

I agree. I’m actually not at all crazy about the ingredients of this “Pizza Burger”… I’m more into the size and slices like a pizza. I’d rather just have whatever kind of burger I want, but done in the size seen above. It would also make for a legit eating challenge.

• Nick says:

It does if you use two square pizza slices for the bun and leave the burger itself alone!

2. Jessica Leigh says:

I agree with the above comment – this never really works. It sounds good in theory, but the combination of the burger patty with everything else and the bun is just wrong. It might work better if it was on a different bread, or with chicken instead of beef.
    Also, I think the price is too high for this to ever work in the traditional fast food market.

• Raiders757 says:

When you add chicken, it then becomes a Chicken Parmesan sandwich, or that’s what they tend to be called, even if you can’t taste the “Parm” in it. I truly believe that some places never even add the Parmesan cheese, yet they still call them as such.

3. Caroline says:

Like you said, portion control is key…but really this sounds kind of gimmicky.

4. skippymom says:

BURGER King. Enough said. [except I want to add this is SO STUPID]

5. J.B. says:

I am seriously disgusted yet intrigued at the same time.

6. chris says:

I have always found if I want to combine a burger and a pizza, something along the lines of a bacon cheeseburger pizza does the trick a lot better than a burger that tries to incorporate pizza.

7. Raiders757 says:

I have to agree with others.

A) It’s Burger King, so it WILL suck. BK blows, and it is THE worst fast food chain over the past 20 years, and still going strong.

B) If you want pizza, get a friggin’ pizza!!!!! Not a burger, and damn sure not a burger from BK.

That being said, I have had a pizza influenced burger that was great. Sadly I can no longer get it, and it didn’t sell itself as a “pizza burger”. This burger was at a place called Bennigan’s, and it was called the “Fried Cheese Burger”.

If anyone recalls, Bennigan’s are the ones’ who took fried cheese nation wide. Not only that, no chain has ever done it better, PERIOD! their fried cheese and marinara dipping sauce were THE BOMB!!! Fast forward many years when fried cheese became the norm at every single place in the U.S., Bennigan’s had to do something different, despite still serving a superior version of the newly trendy appetizer. They introduced the Fried Cheeese Cheeseburger. A tasty ground beef patty served with a giant round burger sized patty of their tasty fried cheese, covered in their super tasty marinara sauce.

Messy it was indeed, but it tasted awesome!!! …and that’s the closest thing I’ve ever had to a “Pizza Burger”. This was years ago, and obviously due to Bennigan’s massive corporate reduction, I’ll never have on again. What a shame. I remember when Bennigan’s was unique to me. Only because they opened so many years before all the other copy-cat chains did in my area. They were in Hampton, Va. over a decade before the first Applebee’s opened. I celebrated my 12th birthday at a Bennigan’s in June of 1982. Fried Cheese was, at that time, an experience one could only have within their walls, and it was such an experience, I celebrated many a birthday there because of it. It’s one treat that didn’t become a household name, or a standard on every menu for a good decade afterward. I kid you not.

8. Tim says:

This really isn’t a breakthrough. I’ve known local diners that have been selling pizza burgers for years.

9. Tony jaguar says:

Tell us how you really feel @raiders

10. Yum Yucky says:

holy sh!T. it’s genius-stupid. Both.

11. Mike says:

Burger King tries to do many things, unfortunately it doesn’t do any of them well.

12. Justin says:

Burger King is a company that is going down in flames. Their fries are terrible, their menu stinks and is getting dated, and their chicken products are terrible. The decor of the restaurants is pretty awful too. McDonald’s isn’t that much better, but I prefer the interior. Having a TV is great too.

Burger King needs new management.

13. Nick says:

I like Burger King over Wendy’s. But they do have nasty fries. If they’d change the fries, shaped the chicken tenders back to the old way and re-introduce the Big King, I’d be a happy man.

14. Kayla says:

Am I the only one who thinks it’s strange that a burger-pizza cut into 6 pieces is a meal meant for 4?

15. [...] or really, a sandwich as a topping for a burger, should strike me as bizarre. But I’ve seen some things lately that have apparently dulled my sense of the absurd, because the Philly Cheesesteak [...]

16. xencat says:

Burger King is making a foolish error by trying to abruptly introduce new and over priced items to it’s menu. They had basically OK half ribs that were just building momentum amongst it’s customers, despite the ridiculous prices being asked, and then suddenly they quit selling them. At the time the ribs were discontinued, their availability had generated new customers who only recently began coming there just for the ribs. They have lost direction and are now grasping at straws to try and save themselves from financial ruin.
    The latest idea is to sell the entire franchise to a South American businessman while retaining the top two bumblers, the CEO and the Chairman, who are most likely the principle reasons for it’s current slow downhill slide towards inevitable failure.

17. robin says:

They introduced it into Japan too, but its got some tasty
    competition there