In My Pantry: Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes by Tastykake

You know what?  Sometimes I don’t really feel like reviewing anything.  Sometimes I just want to talk about what I like and maybe you’ll find it an OK read and enjoy some tasty pics.  Maybe this will become a semi-regular segment on GrubGrade, but who knows.  What I’m getting at here is snacks that I already love and have loved for many years.  So why should I review it?  All I’d be doing is gushing over how special the snack is and I guess that’s fine.  I’m just going to skip the review scores and all that nonsense and just color outside of the lines for this new GrubGrade category.  I’m going to call it… In My Pantry.  I’ll just write about my go-to snack choices that always have a special spot in my pantry.  Let’s start this piece with one of my absolute favorite snack items.  Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes from the Tastykake company.

Regional snacks are an aggravating bunch aren’t they?  I mean seriously, I’ve got to be infuriating some of you out there without access to Tastykake products in your local markets.  I’m sorry but please stay with me and leave a comment making me jealous of something out of my reach… I deserve it.

The Peanut Butter Kandy Kake is sorta like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup as a snack cake. A sponge-cakey type center, topped with peanut butter and coated with chocolate.  Have a beverage on hand as these tend to sap any moisture from your mouth.  Sweet combo of peanut butter and chocolate is a can’t-miss.  They come in packs of two and are only 90 calories per cake.  It doesn’t matter much that they are only 90 calories per cake when you’re stuffing your face with 4 of them but oh well. The family pack of 12 will set you back around $3.99 in my hood in Maryland.  You can also come across individual packs in convenient stores and gas station marts for less than a buck  .

OK, time to make me jealous.  What’s in your pantry?

20 comments on “In My Pantry: Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes by Tastykake

1. Colin says:

Nom nom nom…

Now I have to make a Giant Eagle run at midnight for those — thanks a lot, jerk.

2. Robby says:

Moonpies. Hahaha.

3. Colleen says:

I cannot tell you how much pb kakes mean to me. I live in SoFla now and my mom sends me them every month. I ate a packet a day for an obscene amount of years and it’s pure comfort to me. I put them in the fridge as soon as I get them and it tastes like a wonderful Philly summer afternoon. They compliment a Wawa soft pretzel like a fine chianti compliments an italian dish.

4. Mike says:

Wheat thins : (

5. J.B. says:

Dammit those look good.

6. Adam says:

Frosted Mini Wheats Little Bites. Only the chocolate kind. My family goes through a box a day snacking on those. No joke. Awsome writeup Ryan!

7. Charlotte says:

Oh my God, those look like the perfect snack I’ve been dreaming of all my life. Why do I have to live in Michigan!?

We used to be able to get this pop called “Choc-ola” in Indiana. It was like Yoohoo but made with unicorn tears and rainbow juice and just owned Yoohoo on every level of deliciousness. Plus it was fizzy. Maybe to some it sounds gross but it was the best.They’ve stopped making it though I hear some guy in Indianapolis has the rights to produce it out of his restaurant. I miss it.

8. Sharon says:

Actually, you can buy TastyKake online if you are really desperate. Pretty pricey at the website but Amazon also has them.

9. Raiders757 says:

We’re fortunate enough to get TastyKake products where I live. Sadly the Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes are a bit hard to find. I love those things though, and will go on a hunt for them in the coming week.

10. oscar says:

doh, those look nice…wish i lived in america…uk sucks, all i got are bite size oreos, and some cereal ginger bake bars.

11. they really need to start making those here, we have something similar but it has caramel not peanut butter :(

12. Auzzie says:

That reminds me: why is it so difficult to find StarCrunch in the Baltimore area?

13. Dubba says:

Try going 15 years without tastykakes… it was torture (we have them now, but they arent as fresh)

dont have anything local to torment you with, but I do have the new Reeses peanut butter cup Chips Ahoy.

14. Joe says:

Anybody been to Ted’s hot dogs in Buffalo NY? They also have a location in Tempe Arizona. This place is incredible, charcoal grilled hot dogs and burgers, best fries I’ve ever had, hand battered onion rings, and hand mixed shakes. Sorry, I sound like a commercial, but you talking about regional fare made me think of Ted’s. Plus, I wanted to make you guys jealous :)

15. Mike N says:

Oh man Ryan, having been born and raised on the east coast you ARE making me jealous! I’ve been scratching my head, and I think here in the ‘Lou (that’s St. Louis, MO :) ) we don’t have any local/regional snack cakes… We do have an Entenmenn’s fighter [HAAS Bakery] but they’re actually so similar that it’s pretty much a non-issue.

16. Yum Taskykakes are awesome! In my pantry is Nutrigrain Bars! I love Apple, Blueberry and Strawberry! MMMMM.

17. Jessica Leigh says:

I don’t really like snack cakes too much, but these don’t look too bad. I know my boyfriend would love them – he’s a snack cake fiend, especially Little Debbie.

18. Thomas says:

Right now, nothing. But a sometimes I have my mother send me Tastykakes to Georgia. I just finished some peach Koffeekakes, Alex’s Lemonade Stand Krimpets, and Chocolate Kupkakes.
    On a drive to Greensburg, SC, I recently found some Coconut Juniors and creme filled KoffeeKakes. But I have to agree with you on the PB KandyKakes. They are the first I buy when I can find them on rare occasions here in the Savannah, Georgia metro area. The regional snacks here can’t come anywhere near Tastykakes.