Food News: New Cuban Pulled Pork Sub from Subway?

So a few days ago I was in the car and heard a commercial for Subway restaurants. You know, one of those conversation style commercials where you’re really not sure what the voices are talking about until halfway through. Anyways, I could have sworn it ended up being an advertisement for a Cuban-style sub from Subway. Totally intrigued, I Googled it frantically when I got home, but to no avail. Further drive-bys of local Subways revealed nothing as far as ads went, so much so that I dismissed the phantom “limited time offering” to the status of a dream. That is, until I saw this:

This picture was of a Subway storefront in Dupont Circle in Washington DC. I was having lunch at a nearby restaurant with a friend, so I didn’t get to check it out further, but apparently I’m not crazy. I love Cuban sandwiches (my favorite is from Victoria Gastro Pub in Columbia, Maryland) and will definitely be searching this out in the future. Has anyone else run across the new New Cuban Pulled Pork Sub? If so, let us know your thoughts!

58 comments on “Food News: New Cuban Pulled Pork Sub from Subway?

1. Natalie says:

That just sounds terrible.

2. Greg B. says:

I’m waiting for the review, too scared to try it on my own yet lol They can’t possibly do this correctly, can they?

• mike says:

I like Subway sandwiches. Can’t beat a $5. Spicy Italian with all the trimmings.

But I just tried the pulled pork sandwich. Not good. The meat has the consistency of tuna fish and if it weren’t for the BBQ sauce to cover up the taste, it would inedible.

Ordered a 12″ and threw out the other half.

I think they just tried to go one step too far and need to stick to what they’re good at.

3. Adam says:

@Greg,

Yea, we’ll see. I think they’re black forest ham can stand up to a “real” places, but pulled pork? And don’t even get me started with the cheese at subway? Plus, a real cuban needs to be pressed panini style, not thrown in a toaster…

4. SkippyMom says:

They may sell it but I can’t imagine it “happening” at Subway if you know what I mean.

5. AK says:

That sounds better than the rest of their offerings.

6. J.B. says:

I think it sounds great.
    Why not.

7. Jessica Leigh says:

I can’t imagine this would be good at all. The only thing I can stomach at Subway is their breakfast: egg white with cheese on an english muffin with peppers & tomato.

8. Justin says:

Earl of Sandwich and Pret a Manger blow Subway away.

9. Justin says:

That sandwich is actually just pulled pork, ham, pickles, mustard and bread. In my area, we have BBQ pulled pork sandwiches at our Subway, so I imagine it won’t be hard to make it here.

I’d rather have jerk sandwiches, and perhaps even the Peri-Peri, Tikka Masala sandwiches I saw in London.

10. Jason says:

Delicious. Tried one for luch and had to have one for dinner. Trust me its their best yet. I got jalapenos instead of pickles though

• Ryan says:

What location? I know Adam mentioned Dupont Circle in DC, but I’m curious to any other possible locations.

• Ryan says:

I actually have a little hole in the wall Cuban sandwich shop in my town so if I get the craving for a Cuban sandwich, I might just go there.

• Jason says:

I actually got it in Wisconsin on a business trip! So I think it
          WAS nationally. However, just yesterday I was told that
          it is no longeravailable.

• James says:

I just had one this evening in Minnesota. I have never had a real one for comparison purposes, but it was a decent sandwich. I’d have it again.

• Valerie says:

I am not too sure what to expect from a Subway Cuban sandwich, but I also have a local place to get my fix! It’s called Cuban Revolution and I swear by their pressed sandwiches. The fresh backed Cuban style bread is delicious!!!

11. Keith says:

Can’t wait to hear your review, Adam!

12. Adam says:

Here is my hypothesis: This is a regional, DC item/NOVA item (or maybe in the south) being run as a test. I heard the commercial on DC 101 FYI. I likely won’t be reviewing it, because it’s out of my usual area. But I think Baltimore has another test item: The Steak and Bacon Melt. Anyone heard of this?

• Ryan says:

I work at a subway in PA. We ran the steak and bacon a while back when flatbreads were introduced here (and sadly wraps were removed.)

It’s the same shaved steak as the Philly (but in half-portions of the Philly) with bacon. Pretty good sub. I get it with lettuce, pickles, cucumbers, ranch.

• Jessica Leigh says:

I live in northwest North Carolina, and we have the Steak and Bacon melt! It’s pretty much a philly plus bacon, as Ryan says below.

• Sarah says:

It’s not just a regional/south item. They have them here in Wisconsin. Just tried one and thought it was pretty good. At least it’s a little different from the normal Subway offerings.

13. Evan says:

My local Subways have guacamole now (for an extra $1).

14. James says:

Subway divides its calendar year up into what it likes to call “windows”.

These windows are used to promote anything from L.T.O. (Limited Time Offerings), new services, specialized advertising, or sales. For example, the last window closed about a week ago and was used to feature a national roll-out of the limited time offering Orchard Chicken Salad sandwich. This current window however, is decided by region and is not a “national window”. Meaning certain areas in the country can pick and choose what they feature for their windows whether it’s another L.T.O., sale, service, or etc.

For example, I live outside of Cleveland, Ohio and our region brought in “Footlong Flatbreads”, the Washigton D.C. region, as shown in your post, is featuring the “Cuban Pulled Pork” sandwich. When “regional windows” are deployed, just as now, the company will try to use certain regions as test markets for potential new subs. For instance, the Orchard Chicken Salad was featured as a regional L.T.O. about a year ago and sold well enough to be rolled out nationally. If the Pulled Cuban Sandwich sells well in its test region, which I’m crossing my fingers that it does, then it is very possible a few months down the road to see it nationally rolled out.

15. jackieee says:

We have the Cuban here and it is delicious. I don’t go to Subway often but this sandwich pulled me in. The pulled pork was very tender. The only extra I added was onions. I wish it was not a limited time only thing, because this is the one sandwich that would bring me back to Subway on a regular basis.

16. Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

We have this Cuban sub at Subway in Wisconsin right now, so I can confirm it isn’t a D.C. regional thing.

I haven’t tried it yet though.

• Justin says:

Again, if your Subway has the pulled pork, it shouldn’t be hard to make if they’re offering something else. I’m thinking the Pulled Pork is a new product, but different restaurants are offering different L.T.O sandwiches…for some reason.

17. Mikey says:

I just had one for lunch today. (Dayton, Ohio) I can confirm that yes, it does taste like actual pulled pork. Despite the BBQ sauce, which was nothing to write home about, and the southwest sauce on my sandwich the pork was still on the dry side.

I’m not a Subway fan, but for what it’s worth it is better than most of their sandwiches. At $5 for a 6 inch and $8.00 for a footlong, I won’t be going back though.

18. Stan says:

I work at subway, and tonight while working I received an automated phone call which ordered any subway selling some sort of hickory smoked pulled pork (not the cuban one, i think this is a different type…) to immediately stop serving, discard, and destroy (i kid you not, they said destroy) the pulled pork, as customers were complaining that it contained bones… which is just plain disgusting.

Anyway, my subway is selling a “hickory smoked barbeque chicken” sandwich… which is basically the chicken strips with some mediocre barbeque sauce.

• Lilly says:

Our pulled pork subs use “hickory smoked pork” with added BBQ sauce. We were told to pull it immediately also.

19. ChrisLad says:

I had one these a couple weeks ago in Tysons Corner mall in NoVA. What surprised me was the pulled pork actually tasted like smoked pulled pork. Not fake or gross tasting. The pork really dominated the sandwich. On the 6 inch you only get two thin slices of ham. They add a little bit of sweetness but often you forget it’s on there. I got mustard and pickles on my to imitate a “real” cuban sandwich. The employee instinctively started spreading lettuce on before I stopped him. Subway’s weak pickles hurt the sandwich. The ones I’ve had in Miami had really flavorful large cut pickles. The wimpy things Subway has didn’t really have enough of a crunch or sour taste to counter the salty meats.

Overall I enjoyed the flavor of it. The pork, melted cheese, and mustard all went well together. Unfortunately it really needed more ham to make you aware that you’re eating a Cuban sandwich. A higher quality pickle unique for this promotion would have done wonders too. Mine was 4.50 for a 6-inch (not sure it is that price everywhere). That price really left me wanting more. It was not filling at all and with chips and drink it was 7+ dollars. Decent but overpriced sandwich.

20. Steve says:

Well, it is not a Cuban done right, but it is good. Get it with the recommended ingredients. Swiss cheese, ham, pulled pork, pickles and mustard. It’s simple and pretty tasty.

21. J.B. says:

I don’t know about this.
    I just had the Subway Pulled Pork sandwich and is was utterly disgusting.
    The meat was beyond terrible and looked like I don’t know what.
    Uggh.
    I feel really sick.

22. Justin says:

OMG, I just had the Pulled Pork BBQ sandwich at Subway, and it was awful. I think I’ve had better sandwiches in school cafeterias.

23. […] Cuban Pulled Pork sub being offered at […]

24. G says:

Yea I work @ Subway n we were also told to discontinue the sandwich. Lol but they also told us not to go into detail as to why, which 2 blabbermouths on here did! Y’all should be fired! But anyways yea I’ve never had a real cuban sandwich but I didn’t like the sandwich at subway. The meat tasted like it would be better on a tortilla with lots of salt and other mexican toppings but NOT on a sub. Also we here in MN r also promoting the footlong flatbreads n buffalo chicken. I like the flatbread but only with the chicken breast (lots of mayo) and the breakfest subs! Their breakfast menu is grubbin! :)

• Neli says:

Mexican cuisine doesn’t really have a lot in common with Cuban, though. The flavor profiles are radically disparate, so your suggestion would make it something utterly different than Cuban pulled pork.
      BTW – I tried it today (MN) and found it to be OK. I expected a bit more jazz to the flavor.

25. David says:

I contacted Subway to ask what stage of testing was this sandwich in and got “subwayfreshbuzz

@Davincivirus It’s currently only a regional offering.”

26. Jessica says:

I work at Subway and first off this sandwich is DISGUSTING!!! Second, it has been pulled for the shelves because there have been complaints of bones being found in the meat. If you are still interested in eating it will be back within a week (hopefully boneless)

27. Mary says:

It is one of there best sandwiches. Great on flat bread with pickles, shredded monteray chedder and barbeque sauce. It would be good with sauerkraut also. Then toast it great first time and leftover.

28. rob says:

The pulled pork was good at subway. They recently pulled it from subways in my area due to bones being found in it.

29. T says:

I had the cuban pulled pork on about the 15th in MKE. It was one of the better Subway sandwiches I have had. Today (the 18th) could not get it and the subway people claimed they didn’t know why. I am sure the bone thing was correct. I generally prefer about anywhere to Subway but I thought it was ok. The roast beef I had today was disappointing.

30. ChrisLad says:

It is important to make the distinction between good “real pulled-pork” and good “pho-que pork”. I’m an avid BBQ fan from VA. This pulled pork isn’t that great compared to a BBQ joint. For fast food I think it is pretty much the best one could hope for. Yeah it is salty. So what? Throw some extra pickles on it to balance it out.

31. Nat-a-tat says:

I live in NOVA and they have this sandwich everywhere. It’s pretty good on flatbread. Not as amazing as your favorite local deli, but for a fairly healthy version (around 400 calories I estimate), what do you expect? I bet the awesome cuban sandwiches we love at other places have 1,000+ calories…

32. Mary C says:

I just tried it today. OH MY GOSH it is wonderful! Very tasty pulled pork, especially if they do not put too much sauce on it. FANTASTIC – $5 in NJ for a 6 inch.

33. jared says:

complete garbage. the pork is flavorless and dry. even extra cheese didnt help this sandwich and i tried it twice!

34. I just ate a FOOTLONG CUBAN PULLED PORK SUB…..and it was the BEST sub I have ever eaten at Subway!!! It was absolutely delicious!!!!!

35. Martinas says:

It was great! If your a pork fan I would recommend it! It’s chewy juicy and flavorful and it has that nice shredded luau pork taste! There best sandwich yet, great on flatbread!

36. Dave B says:

I lived in the Tampa area for over 10 years. As just a plain old pulled pork and ham sandwich from Subway I would give it a 7 out of 10. When they put the name CUBAN in front of it I give it a 0 out of 10. Not even close to a real Cuban. Any one else ever have a real Cuban from south Florida or Cuba itself?

• Chef Carlos says:

To make a good Cuban sandwich you must be either Cuban, Cuban chef, good ordinary Cuban cook. Subway will not spend 24 hrs marinating and slow roasting a piece of meat.

37. JimmieC says:

I love how people assume that because it was available in Washington DC and WI, it must have been a national roll out. Don’t you people ever travel anywhere????? It was not a national roll out. It was available in WI when I was there visiting family last month, and yet back in Chicago, where I live, no one has even heard of it, and it was never on the menu. James had it right earlier in the discussion, different markets can choose what they want to feature.

38. Don says:

I work at a subway in upstate NY and theres a package sitting in the store named “August Windows” or something and I saw that the August $5 footlong of the month is a BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich. So, hopefully its better than what I’m reading here. :P

39. The Mediator says:

Who cares, it is not that serious!
    Why do people come on forums and complain, hate, and say the
    stupidest things?
    Get a damn life!
    While I am here, I am going to say that Subway ought to be ashamed of themselves with a “pork” sub that in no way is a healthy meat based on the amount of fat and salt in it!
    Subway + Pork = Disgusting
    Enjoy your mud rolling piggies in a blanket folks!

40. Alice says:

I love the Subway Cuban pulled pork on flatbread with pickles & yellow mustard Love real Cuban sandwiches from FlL but it’s the closest I
    Can get in the Midwest. Just having a hard time finding them since not all SUBWays have them!

41. youralldumb says:

You are all lying. This isn’t happening at Subway at all. That’s a quiznos poster.