Food News: Burger King New and Improved Tendergrill Chicken Sandwich

The BK Tendergrill Chicken Sandwich has received a slight makeover by switching up the sesame seed bun for ciabatta.  Price: $3.99.  Here’s our review of the old version.

You want chicken? You got it. You want a juicy grilled chicken filet on ciabatta bread, topped with crisp lettuce and tomato? You got that, too. It’s called the TENDERGRILL® Chicken Sandwich.

As part of BKC’s HAVE IT YOUR WAY(R) brand promise, the new ciabatta bun offers a menu option for guests that can help them meet individual diet and lifestyle preferences. BKC’s new ciabatta bun is made with whole wheat flour, providing eight grams of whole grains, as well as fewer calories, less fat and sodium.

The TENDERGRILL(R) Chicken Sandwich has 470 calories and is the latest addition to the more than 350 BURGER KING(R) meal combinations that provide 650 calories or less — approximately one-third of a daily 2,000 calorie diet.

13 comments on “Food News: Burger King New and Improved Tendergrill Chicken Sandwich

1. Adam says:

Love me some real Italian ciabatta. Firm, dense, chewy. that’s some carby goodness right there. Wegmans makes a nice whole wheat ciabatta type roll that I always HAVE to buy when I’m there. I like this move. I wonder if you can get any premium sandwich on in?

2. Heather says:

I actually had this today. I didn’t really pay attention to the fact that the bun is now ciabatta. It was pretty good, although I was busy picking the lettuce off of my sandwich. I guess some things never change.

3. maxchain says:

Eh, I’m not that big on ciabatta–maybe I’ve just never had any good ones. Something tells me BK might not be the best place to start.

4. Jessica J says:

The bread change is a good thing, because the sandwich is really messy, and the more sturdy bread will hold it together. Even with the change though, I don’t think I’ll be ordering it. The chicken, although it doesn’t have gristle or fatty parts, feels weird to me, like it is almost processed. Maybe I got a bad one, but I haven’t ordered it since then.

5. Greg says:

You know people always say if you want something healthy than eat the Grilled Chicken if you are at fast food restaurant.The only problem with this at Burger King is it has Partially Hydrogenated Oils in the chicken.I believe it’s cooked on liquid margarine.And if you didn’t know Margarine is made from vegetable oil, is low in saturated fat and has no dietary cholesterol. But because the liquid vegetable oil in stick margarine is hardened through a process called hydrogenation, it is high in trans-fatty acids. Trans fatty acids, or trans fats, are thought not only to raise levels of bad cholesterol, but also to lower levels of good cholesterol, the kind that offers a defense against artery-clogging fats. This makes trans fats worse than saturated fat.The buns also have Partially Hydrogenated Oils in them too.So you wanna stay away from those as well.People really need to be aware of this stuff.And it’s sad because either they don’t know or just have that attitude when you tell them,Aghh you only live once.

6. Adam says:

@Greg,
    Eating a dietary insignificant amount of trans fat once in a blue moon is not going to harden your arteries anymore than stepping outside for 5 minutes on a spring day is going to give you skin cancer. If you let yourself live in fear of anything that has a PHO on the ingredient list, all I can say is I feel sorry you’ve allowed fear run your life.

7. Robby says:

It’s food, and I’m going to try it regardless. Going to BK at all anyway should give away I don’t care too much about what’s exactly in the food. I just had the Steakhouse XT with A1 the other day. That thing is massive. A lot going on. Ate every bite.

8. Toby says:

I was very disappointed when I got my BK tendergrill today & saw the new bun.
    For one, it’s too small for the sandwich.

I also substitute low fat honey mustard for the mayo, & the bread completely fell apart!

I had to use a bunch of napkins, & really couldn’t enjoy my sandwich as it was a huge mess.
    Unhappy.

9. Turry says:

I ate one today but that will be it now that I know it has transfat. It’s banned in the europe and should be here too. Hey BK!!! Quit using that garbage. If you use healthy oil you’ll have more customers because they’ll live longer……….Turry

10. Adena says:

I enjoyed it i feel fuller and it didn’t alter the taste

11. Barbara says:

I’ve had the sandwich twice and just had to put my 2 cents in. First, Greg in incorrect in saying that BK cook the chicken in margarine. I worked at BK for 8 years through high school and college, and they grill these chicken filets just like the burgers. They are put on a chain over an open flame, nothing has ever been added while cooking. That said, I initally hated the new bread. It was too small for the chicken and made a horrible mess. It tasted OK, but I was so busy trying to keep it from falling apart I was angry by the time I was done. I had another one today and it was better, I didn’t get mayo so it wasn’t as messy. It had a good taste and I appreciated that the bread is whole grain. I think that maybe the chicken is smaller now, it just seemed a lot smaller than I remember. Over all, I may get it once in a while and know that it’s pretty healthy.

12. HolyFruits says:

I went to BK on 10/16, and somehow, they served me the sandwich with the old bun on it. Although, when I came back a week later, they served me the current bun. What does that mean?

13. sadamsmo3 says:

I went to BK last week and ordered this sandwich and it came on the ciabatta bread, today it was on the hearth style bun…when I asked them about it, they said they weren’t going to use ciabatta bread anymore :( I really liked it better and felt like I was eating a healthier product….the hearth style bun is thicker and really kind of sticky and chewy.