Food News: New Chipotle Restaurant Design

W. 45th Street in NYC pictured below via ChipotleMedia on Twitter.  I think I’ve actually eaten at Chipotle about 2 times and it’s always crazy packed.  As for “to-go” orders, I have made hundreds :) .  Let’s hope this new design helps.

17 comments on “Food News: New Chipotle Restaurant Design

1. Well I can say one thing, it definitely looks very modern.

2. Kat says:

Wow! Looks swanky. I hope that new design gets implemented here in Chicago.

3. rob says:

Not just modern but “post-modern,” I don’t know if I am cool enough to eat in that place …. looks like a museum.

The dude digging into his burrito (what’s up with the jacket and cap, do they have the air turned down to 62 degrees?) is perched on a stool-like thing with no back … I would prefer a chair.

To the left they have other stool-things that are angled so that you are leaning into your food, they are probably concerned that your burrito might be so mind-staggeringly good that you fall off your stool backwards.

In the middle they have some actual chairs, but if you are eating with another person one of you has to sit on a banquette type deal … so who gets the chair and who has to sit on the banquette? I guess whoever is paying gets the chair. Could get awkward if you are eating with a really fat person.

The lighting thingies remind me of Light Sabers from Star Wars so that is cool.

4. john says:

i gotta try chipolte

5. Raiders757 says:

A Chipotle opened near me a year or so ago, and I have yet to try them. I need to make a point to do so, as I’ve heard great things about them. Thing is, there are so many other really good locally owned Mexican style food options between my home and their location, that it doesn’t make any sense to drive out of my way to do so.

The last time I was near the place, I had already ate. I did take a look at the inside, as it’s at our local mall, so it was easy to to do. I thought the place looked terrible. Looked like the inside of a beer keg. Not very appealing at all. The pic above doesn’t look like much of an improvement either. Lucky for me, our has a patio, os there is an option to eat outside.

• Jim says:

I really like Chipotle… I lived in So-Cal for a couple years and had the same situation. I found that the Chipotle food is a bit different than the traditional mexican joints around town.

6. Charlotte says:

Only eaten at Chipotle once and it was horribly uncomfortable. The stools were too small or something. The new design is pretty fug in my opinion, it’s at odds with the type of food they serve.

7. Rachel says:

I love Chipotle. I always get 3 soft chicken tacos with mild salsa, lettuce, cheese and sour cream on the side.

I never eat in, so I don’t really care what the decor is.

8. Amy says:

I am embarrassed to say I have yet to have Chipotle, in or out. I am surrounded by an aura of shame. I will rectify that soon enough I hope.

9. Hm… I like some of the touches like the Mayan-like wall and the ceiling, but I’m not a fan of the seating… it doesn’t look very communal or comfortable for that matter.

The lighting is a bit too bright and fluorescent. I’d prefer a warmer light.

10. Katie Ann says:

I’m a huge fan of Chipotle, and I’ve got to say that I don’t like this new design at all from a practical standpoint. I’m not a fan of long rows of tables and chairs where you have to squeeze in next to some other couple or group, and that big L-shaped table the guy is at would be even more uncomfortable when there are a few separate people at it and the restaurant starts filling up. But, I don’t usually dine in, so I guess it won’t be a problem. :)

11. Jessica J says:

I’ve never eaten at a Chipotle. I assume it is a burrito/tex-mex place? I ate at Qdoba for the first time last week, and it was so delicious! You see, all these places are at a town that is 30 minutes away, and I only go there about once a month. When I go, I tend to frequent locally owned restaurants, thai food, or 5 Guys. Is Chipotle worth it?

• Heather says:

If you like quick serve Mexican food, then Chipotle is definitely worth it. I have only eaten there a few times, but it has always been excellent. You must give it a try! :)

• Caitlin says:

Chipotle is completely worth every penny. If you want a meal where you dont have to worry about whats been added into it, its definately the way to go. “Food with integrity” isn’t just a statement there…it’s a way of life. The food there is amazing…100% naturally raised. And for being such good food, it hasn’t lost any of its great taste. And may I recommend the steak if you like spicy, carnitas if you dont, and the medium roasted corn salsa. Everything is delicious. Sometimes it depends on which chipotle you go to and who is working…if your anywhere in the area I HIGHLY recommend the La Canada Chipotle. They have some great workers and you really are getting what you paid for.

12. Caitlin says:

I worked for Chipotle for about 4-5 months. It’s a really great company. One of the few actually fluerishing despite the resession. It is a little pricey but for getting food that you don’t have to worry about whats in it…it’s completely worth it. Also, the barstools are there because the original store purchased by Steve Ells was an old ice cream parlor and he kept the bar stools and bar and has had them at every chipotle since then. I hope this post was of help.

13. jesse says:

What’s wrong with museums? Food is art.