You’ve by no doubt heard that this Friday (June 4th for those of you who don’t belive in calenders)¬†marks one of the great celebrations¬†in our country’s culinary history. That’s right, I’m talking National Donut Day. And what better way to say “God Bless America” then with a free donut? Both Dunkin’ Donuts and Krispy Kreme are offering deals for the day, with Dunkin’ offering a free donut to any customer who also purchases a beverage. Not a coffee drinker? Krispy Kreme might be your destination, since all retail locations will be offering a free donut to anyone who comes into the store on Friday.

Personally, I’m headed to Dunkin’. Kirpsy Kreme doesn’t have too many locations in my area, and I make a point to stop by Dunkin’ for coffee and a donut at least once a week as it is. Problem is, I never seem to have the audacity to order anything else besides a Bavarian Kreme donut. My lifelong favorite, the Bavarian Kreme presents a real opportunity cost conundrum for me, so much so that I worry that any other donut purchase I make will fail to live up to the awesomeness of powdered sugar, sweet Bavarian Kreme, and fried dough. But since this week my donut will be on the house, I’m opening up to forum to you, GrubGraders. Which Dunkin Donut should I purchase? Which is your favorite? Don’t be shy, I need ideas here people!

14 comments on “Food News: Free Doughnut This Friday, June 4th at Dunkin’ Donuts and Krispy Kreme

1. Hannes says:

Jerry Duppa says there’s only one choice – Bear Claw.

2. Robby says:

Triple Chocolate.

3. julia says:

When I was younger, and i still ate doughnuts, i always got pink iced with rainbow sprinkles.
    That’s probably not the quality you made me were looking for, but it always brought a smile to my face. maybe a bit girly for you, so maybe go for chocolate + chocolate. :)

Barring that, boston creme. Yum.

4. SkippyMom says:

You probably don’t want mine since your fav’ is a Bavarian Cream [sounds so decandent/delicious] – but I just love their Sugar donuts [the ones with regular sugar on them] simple and plain.

If I am going fancy I would get an apple filled cinnamon donut – amazing – and always fought over in our home!

5. Jessica J says:

I personally prefer Krispy Kreme, but their donuts are so light that I could eat an ungodly amount and still want more. Dunkin’ donuts fill me up better, but I still prefer the taste of Krispy Kreme. Plus, Krispy Kreme was founded in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, which is only about 30 minutes away from me. My dad used to work for Krispy Kreme when I was a little girl, and I fondly remember getting to go with him on a tour of the facilities, and the best part was eating a really fresh donut, straight off the line. It literally MELTS in your mouth! Oh my goodness…. I want one right now!
    There is no longer a Krispy Kreme in my town, but Dunkin’ Donuts recently opened 2 mini-stores in local gas stations. I wonder if they will have the free donuts? I like the Boston Creme donut!

6. Chelsea says:

It’s hard to resist stopping at a DD when I see one, having grown up in MA and then moving down to DC where there are hardly ANY. Rarely do I deviate from an iced coffee and strawberry frosted with sprinkles. If they’re out of strawberry frosted, vanilla frosted will pinch hit.

I’ve been on a quest to either find or compile a list/map of DD locations that still make their own donuts in-house. They’re just so much tastier.

7. Adam says:

Great suggestions by all. The Chocolate Glaze sounds good, and I’m a sucker for powdered sugar and regular glazed as well. One thing — I don’t know a huge deal about donuts, but is there any difference between a ‘regular’ donut and a cake donut? Also, I gotta wonder if this deal covers chocolate ecclairs? Nothing says good morning like a chocolate induced sugar rush!

Chelsea,
    When I was in college in DC I went to school with a number of kids from the MA area and was always fascinated by their love of DD. I had one friend who would always make me stop at a DD in Northeast. It’s actually when I first started drinking their coffee. Up here in Howard County we have a number of them, so I usually go once a week or so (actually, if you fill out the ‘Tell Dunkin’ survey online from your reciepts, you can get a free donut with each additional coffee purchase!)

8. Nick t says:

Dunkin’s Chocolate Coconut is unbeatable. I usually go in for one and end up with a half-dozen.

9. Cassaendra says:

French crueller is my favorite and probably the worst despite it’s deceivingly small size so I wouldn’t suggest it (that’s just what I would get :). Love, love, love Bavarian cream. If that’s unavailable then Boston cream is good too.

10. Amy says:

emmmmmm…….dooonuts (in my best homer simpson voice) ;)

11. Adam says:

Does anyone know if you can sub an ecclair or a “fancy” for the regular donut?

12. Nick says:

Boston Creme for the win

13. Brett says:

You can’t even get Krispy Kreme in my state. Whenever I’m over east I always make sure to bring back some Original Glazed Krispy Kremes! 6 seconds in the microwave and those babies are as good as new, ready to melt in your mouth.

14. Michael says:

What can one free donut do… they should do a 50% off everything for donuts day.