Food News: Popeyes Wicked Chicken

Coming Monday, May 31st to PopeyesNew Wicked Chicken.  Served in a snack box along with Cajun Fries, a buttermilk biscuit, ranch dipping sauce and a mini bottle of TABASCO Pepper Sauce.  Priced at $3.99.  Also coming the same day to complement the Wicked Chicken, new Cane Sweeeet Iced Tea.  UPDATE: Read our FULL REVIEW.

Popeyes new Wicked Chicken is wickedly good, thin strips of tender, juicy, all white meat chicken marinated with authentic Louisiana seasonings, hand-battered and breaded in the restaurants, served up crispy, twisty, curly and wicked!

23 comments on “Food News: Popeyes Wicked Chicken

1. Katie Ann says:

It’s the teeny bottle of Tabasco that comes in MREs!

I never eat at Popeyes because even the first (and last) time I ate it as a child I thought their chicken was too spicy, but I’m sure my husband would like something called “Wicked Chicken.”

2. maxchain says:

BRING IT.

3. alf says:

Our only Popeyes closed shop after only a year so I won’t be trying it here. Too bad. Sounds wicked good. I’ll be in Cleveland next weekend, maybe they have Popeyes. Speaking of which….

anyone have suggestions on what to try in Cleveland? Would love to hear from anyone with the Cleveland scoop.

• Jim Harbaugh Scramble says:

Yes there are Popeyes in Cleveland – but they aren’t in the best neighborhoods.

If you like Wings go to Quaker Steak and Lube.

• Cassaendra says:

The best place to go for Popeye’s is probably the one on Carnegie Ave, near Downtown a couple of minutes past E 55th St. It’s not as intimidating.

I can suggest places, but it depends on what you’re after — types of food and price range.

If you want burgers, Brown Bag Burgers in N Olmsted (west side) is solid. If you want burgers and beer, Michael Symon’s burger/brat/beer joint, B Spot, is great in Woodmere (east side) but expect to wait 45-90 min.

Melt is now in the east and west sides. We went in last Wednesday night at 9:00 p.m. and there was a 2 hour wait, so we walked out. If you walk in after the lunch rush and prior to dinner rush, this is a really fun and solid place to eat.

Let me know if you want to branch out to other stuff… :)

4. Bryan says:

Looks good. A tiny Tobasco sauce…how adorable. lol

5. Nikki says:

Ooh, that looks so tasty, can’t wait to try it! And that little bottle of Tabasco is too cute!

6. I hope we get these here, Popeyes spicy is such a let down, nowhere near the heat i’m looking for, but this looks worth a try.

7. Bob Smith says:

If anything Popeyes chicken isn’t spicy enough. To me, wicked means hotter. Tabasco does not qualify.

8. Shana says:

Mmmm the whole package sounds amazing

9. Kat says:

It should come with “Loisiana Hot sauce” brand hot sauce, shouldn’t it? That’s all I use.

10. Cassaendra says:

While I can’t eat whole habanero, I am a spicy food addict and have always enjoyed Popeye’s spicy chicken. I’ll definitely have to check this out!

11. Michael says:

Can’t wait to try this out, if they put a lot of Cajun Fries in there, I will definitely come back everyday and eat this stuff for lunch until I get tired of eating popeyes, which would probably be never.

12. Jessica J says:

I’ve never eaten at a Popeye’s, but I’ve always wanted to! I didn’t think there was one in my state, but I just looked on their website and there is one in Raleigh, NC, and I may be going there sometime this summer, so I hope I will be able to go. This sounds really good….especially with the cane sweet iced tea!

• Dee says:

Where in Raleigh did you find one? I’m from the west coast and this is what I grew up on. Now located in Raleigh and the closest one is in the airport.

• Jessica J says:

Oh no, it is IN the airport?!?!?!? I thought it was just near the airport. That’s bad news :( Looks like Charlotte is my best bet, and I’m not going there anytime soon. They need to expand in North Carolina. People here would LOVE Popeye’s!

13. Anon says:

Yummy! Great packaging, Popeyes. KFC should be taking note.

14. Raiders757 says:

Popeyes has some damn good chicken. Sadly every store in my area is so friggin’ slow, I hardly go there anymore. They really need to work on the service at the stores in my area. It’s beyond pathetic.

• Jim Harbaugh Scramble says:

I couldn’t agree more with more post.

I love their chicken strips but they never have any ready, which by itself is alright as fresh chicken is better than chicken under the lights.

However, after waiting a few minutes to be waited on, waiting for them to throw the strips in the fryer, watching my food sit in a box and no one will give it to me, it takes about 30 minutes to get out the door.

Great food, terrible service.

That said I will be trying this wicked chicken. Looks like I’ll be taking an hour lunch sometime this week.

15. TheWarden says:

Very small strips though… I will await some reviews; will it be overcooked / dry?

Teensy small bottle of hot sauce almost wins me over. Maybe buy w/o reviews…

16. Phil says:

Good stuff

17. jeff deal says:

i’m eating the wicked chicken dinner right now, got it at the popeyes here in Statesboro, GA aka Collegeboro since we have Georgia Southern University. after a long ride to and from the racetrack and tearing up some twisties i’m wracking my brain trying to figure out what to get for dinner. i see the sign outside of popeyes and swing by. wait time was about 3 minutes, not bad at all.

the dinner itself is a bit of a let down though. a few bites of chcken with almost as much breading as meat. one chicken breast probably makes two of these ‘dinners’. fries could be better. 7/10