White Castle Scented Candle and Other Food Smell Oddities

How many of you out there have heard about the White Castle scented candle? Yeah, you read that right…a candle that smells like the fast food sliders from White Castle.  Since it’s National Hamburger Month, White Castle decided to celebrate by selling these candles for $10 each.  I’m not sure how I feel about smelling up the joint with the scent of burger and onions, but proceeds are going to charity so that makes it OK.

Currently, my car smells like gyros from a recent Greek food pick-up order.  When I was in 7th grade, I used to get bullied to the point that my friend and I avoided taking the school bus.  My friend’s older sister worked for Domino’s and she’d drive us to school most mornings.  Her car was used to deliver pizzas all the time so it always smelled like pizza.  When you’re 12yrs old this is a treat, but as an adult, it’s just gross.  So this White Castle scented candle inspired me to do a little research into the world of other “food smell oddities” and it turns out there are so-called “air fresheners” out there that smell like foods such as pizza, corn dogs, bacon and ice cream.  Do people really buy these food scents and hang them up in their cars? I can understand brownie scented candles or something…but a corn dog air freshener?  Take a look.

10 comments on “White Castle Scented Candle and Other Food Smell Oddities

1. skippymom says:

Rest his soul – I wish my first husband was still alive as he would SO hang the corndog one in his car. I am not kidding.

And I have to thank you because I am buying the White Castle candle for my mother for Christmas – she loves them and since she already is so hard to buy for I know she will get a kick out it. Thanks.

[I personally hate any kind of air freshner in our cars - they are so strong at the start and gag me. Even evergreen.]

2. wibia says:

Ask yourself this question, would you rather smell bacon or “Ocean Breeze?” Not as easy of a decision as you thought, right?!

3. Scott says:

NERD!!!!

4. AK says:

There’s Entenmann’s candles (I think raspberry danish, pumpkin pie and chocolate chip cookies, coffee cake and more) and they’re absolutely great.

5. Amy says:

Maybe it’s a novelty that wears off with age. I haven’t been caught with my face in a cheeseburger or popcorn scratch-and-sniff sticker in awhile. As an adult (I think I’m one), when I smell good food it damn well better come with the right to eat it. I can’t be stingy to my senses.

6. Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

Don’t forget to pick up some Mitch Hedberg (RIP) cinnamon roll incense!

“I wish they made a cinnamon roll incense because I don’t always have time to make a pan. Perhaps I’d rather light a stick and then have my roommates wake up with false hopes.”

7. Oddly enough, I heard the White Castle’s candles are selling pretty well.

@wibia: While the smell of bacon is super great, I’d rather not turn into a drooling idiot in my car from it…

8. Mimi says:

Ryan,

This post is most definitely one of my favorites. I love the personal story that you inputted. I really do!

As for the smell of food? I love it. I wouldn’t mind if my boyfriend smelled like pizza all the time. Then again, I’m just a fat girl at heart.

9. Gigi says:

I suddenly feel a very Herold and Kumar-like urge to get one of these…

Ok, not really but should there ever be a Double-Double version I AM THERE!