Sandwich Sunday: The SCLT

I’m a BLT fanatic. Whether it’s your standard oscar mayer bacon on white bread with cheap tomatoes and lettuce taken from my dining hall or a more ‘upscale’ and healthy version of the classic consisting of turkey bacon, sprouted wheat bread, and fresh mozzarella, I just can’t seem to get enough of the combination of sweet and salty, soft and crispy. But what happens if you don’t have bacon on hand and you’re looking to get that signature crunch?

The answer? I set out this week to find one, testing out a new homemade variation: The Sun Chip, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich.

Description: This was my first custom creation in the series, and I decided to go with the new Wonder Smart White Bread as my base. I know processed white bread seems to be the devil for most people, but frankly I love it, and although it’s still pumped up with fake fiber and other fake ‘healthy’ stuff, I like the new Wonder Bread for its pillowy texture and mild sweetness. That being said, I toasted it on my panini press, mostly because I was worried that the weight of the veggies involved would weight it down. I spread one side of the bread with Kraft BBQ sauce, and left the other side plain. On the side with the BBQ sauce I layered sun chips, followed by grilled red onions, banana peppers, lettuce, two thick tomatoes, more lettuce, more sun chips, two more thick tomatoes, and more sun chips. For good measure I toasted the whole thing on the panini press for about 30 seconds.

The Verdict: Not bad, but not great. This sandwich derived almost all of its flavor from the veggies and BBQ sauce, and the sun chips contributed only minimally any sense of crunch that I was looking for. I liked the thick layer of veggies, and overall I feel like you can’t go wrong with banana peppers and grilled onions on anything. The tomatoes were decent, and did help to compliment the toasted bread and the slightly nutty sun chips, which were more pronounced when I ate the sandwich with the BBQ sauce side facing down. But there was a lack of saltiness that the I missed from the bacon, as well as the brown sugar sweetness and smokiness which works so well in the classic application. This wasn’t mind-blowing by any means, but I have a soft spot for sweet veggie sandwiches, and although it wasn’t as crunchy or salty or smokey as a BLT, it was a decent first attempt into the world of sandwiches on chips.

GrubGrade: 7.00/10.00 (Decent)

Your Turn: Potato chips on a sandwich? Yea or neigh? Also, do you think a change in flavor of sun chips would have made this better? What about cheese? Chime in and let me know your thoughts!

13 comments on “Sandwich Sunday: The SCLT

1. Evan says:

It requires more sunchips. Looks like you only put 2 sunchips on there.

2. Becky says:

I’ve been a fan of your blog for awhile now, just haven’t commented yet. :)

But the concept of chips on sandwiches is near and dear to my heart.

Since I was about 12 years old, I have ordered the same thing at Subway: Italian Herb bread, turkey breast, honey mustard, and green peppers. I get the combo with a bag of Lay’s original.

At the table, the green peppers come OFF, the Lay’s original chips go ON, and the whole sweet/salty/creamy/crunchy mess is unfreakingbelievable. (I sometimes eat the green peppers separately…mostly, I just ordered them to make my mom happy that I got something green in my diet.)

I am also a huge fan of BBQ chips on sandwiches, though not so much by themselves. To be honest, if it’s a chip, I’ll sandwich it.

I wonder if the cheddar or french onion sun chips might have contributed more of that sort of smokey flavor you were looking for? Or, perhaps, these lovelies: http://baconpotatochips.com/

~ B.

3. ChrisSh says:

I love chips on sandwiches! I usually just throw some on non-toasted sandwiches since the toasted ones already have some crunch, but maybe I’ll give the double crunch combo a try in the future. :)

4. Swampfox says:

I’ve been wanting to make a scrapple lettuce and tomato for awhile now. The trick will be to cut the scrapple very thin so its crisp and not mushy inside. I’m thinking let the scrapple get to room temperature and then slice it longways using a hot, sharp knife to make bacon shaped pieces. Mayo on the bottom slice of rye and mustard on the other. SLT.

5. rightclue says:

interesting sandwich!

However, I wonder the choice of ingredients. (Not a complaint of your creation)

After all, the onion is meant to complement the taste of whatever lunch meat you put on there.

Then again, you did mention you enjoy the taste of sweet veggie sandwiches. The tomato certainly helps.

There is not enough meat for me in that sandwich, but if I were going for a veggie only sandwich, this probably would be the first thing that comes to mind

Btw, was that Garden Salsa sun chips?

6. Effington says:

Let me just chime in here and say that I couldn’t agree more when it comes to potato chips on sandwiches. I’ve never tried sunchips and I’m definitely going to now… I’m not sure about chips as being the replacement for a meat product on a sandwich, but in a pinch you do what you gotta do.

And I definitely don’t stop at potato chips – or sandwiches. I’ll use tortillas chips quite often, including Doritos. And I’ll often crunch up chips in wraps and tacos.

“Crunchy” is the magic ingredient often missing from a great sandwich – and pickles or cucumber just don’t fill the void.

My favorite chips for this are the “kettle cooked” style that are extra thick and crunchy. I used to use Martins but they’re loaded with lard and trans fat so I’ve moved onto Lay’s Kettle chips which are fantastic.

@Swampfox – I’ve lived in Pennsylvania for about 10 years now and I’ll never get used to scrapple. I just don’t trust meat products that had to be a liquid at some point (including most balogna’s and Subway cold cuts).

7. Raiders757 says:

Your right, you can never go wrong with banana peppers and grilled onions on a sandwich.

I’ve never been a big fan of Sun Chips, but I’ve always enjoyed jamming Frito’s in between my grilled cheese sandwiches. I’m just wondering, instead of BBQ sauce, why not try an Italian Dressing with a dash of kosher salt and few shakes of pepper? Italian dressing is the best condiment for any sandwich, and can be a healthier alternative to nasty mayo and other dressings. Not only that, it tastes ten times better and goes with onions and banana peppers better than anything else.

8. Amy says:

If those were original Sunchips, I’d definitely say flavor it up a bit with one of the others; not the Cinnamon though…if they even still have them. Anything worth doing is worth doing twice. Just put in earplugs when you grab that noisy bag off the shelf.

9. Adam says:

Yes, they were the original. This was an ad hoc creation made from just a bunch of stuff I had laying around in my fridge, so hence the lack of forthought to the flavor profile. Next time I do plan on a different chip. Thanks for the suggestions, and stay tuned for next Sunday’s sandwich!

10. sophia says:

Neat idea and concept…but needs at least 3 times more sunchips, and preferably with a bold flavor. I would include ingredients that go with the sunchips flavor, too.

11. air says:

I love a chip sandwich. I like that they add that nice crunchiness that sometimes lettuce can’t deliver. I might actually try this sun chip sandwich one day.

12. Shannon says:

When I was a child, I would make sandwiches with bologna, mayo, and cheetos. I preferred the crunchiness of the cheetos to the softness of sliced cheese.