A Taste Of The Sonic Experience

Going to Sonic is sort of a religious experience for me. Located in Peabody, Massachusetts it is right on the way to or from my university. I decided to stop one morning to stretch, use the restroom, and buy some delicious food. For those that are not from Massachusetts you won’t understand this but there is one Sonic in our whole state yet we see the ads on TV for them constantly.  So last year when Sonic opened, it was big!

The first time I went was when the place just opened at least a couple days after the grand opening.  Even at 10 AM in the morning my roommate and I were stuck in a line of at least 30 cars. The issue with the location is that the parking lot gets jammed easily during busy times and spills out to Route 1 in Peabody.

This time, however, it had been a couple months since attempting the 10 AM opening again.. I stopped and parked in the regular lot and walked over to the patio to search the menu for my picks today. I have learned not to go to the car ports as you can’t even see the menu really from them. I finally decided that based on Sonic’s image as the best drink stop around I fixated on a Sonic Chiller. The chiller I chose was the Cranberry Limeade blended with soft serve and topped with a lime and whipped cream. This drink was very memorable a nice tart drink that has the ice cream smooths over the lime and cranberry, very refreshing and I recommend it. The other thing I ordered was a Super Sonic Cheeseburger with light mayo that at my location came with a free medium tator tots. The tots were nicely seasoned and crisp; the burger was a decent burger much better than the time I came when it first opened. I do wish that the burger was hotter temperature wise. Overall a great soul satisfying meal and I even overheard that a second location is planned in Marlborough, Massachusetts. Exciting stuff! I hope to see more fast food restaurants coming to the Northeast in the very near future.

22 comments on “A Taste Of The Sonic Experience

1. In my humble opinion, there is no one that can even come close to Sonic’s breakfast sandwiches. And who wouldn’t drive a few extra miles for tots?

• Raiders757 says:

I don’t have to drive a few extra miles for tots, because they sell them in every single grocery store in the area. Now i might consider driving a little further for a bacon,egg, and cheese toaster sandwich.

2. Katie Ann says:

Can you still tell that the Chillers have soda in them? I love the cherry limeade flavor, but I don’t like carbonation. Does blending them with ice cream tone it down significantly?

I feel so lucky that you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a Sonic around here in Arlington, Texas. A quick Google Maps search shows at least a dozen within about a 5-mile radius.

3. Tara says:

Quincy, IL (pop. 40,000) had three Sonics at one time in the late 90′s. They all went up within a year or two of each other in brand new buildings and one by one they would close down. The last one closed in the mid-2000′s and was torn down and replaced with a new Burger King building in the exact same spot. The other Sonics were recycled into a Subway and a Credit Union. For some reason they just didn’t go over well here. The closest Sonic is in Hannibal, MO which seems to do a steady business. I really like Sonic’s Texas toast for grilled cheese and BLT sandwiches.

4. Yum Yucky says:

I will take ANYTHING from Sonic. But isn’t it ironic that I’ve NEVER tasted it before? They show the commercials on TV, so I want the food. But there are no Sonics ’round here. Dammit!

5. Mikey F Baby says:

Everything you get at Sonic is ALWAYS luke warm. Guaranteed.

6. Ross says:

I too live nearby Arlington, Texas. Sonics are about as common as McDonalds here. I wouldn’t recommend either though. Sonic used to be awesome some years ago. Now it seems their give a damn is busted. Burgers are always cold, and the tots are usually just ok. Chili cheese coney doesn’t really excite me anymore either.
    I’d trade ten sonics for one Carl’s Jr. Only one of those in North Texas.

• David says:

Yeah, I have had some cold food from Sonic’s, but I still love their drinks there. Its nice on route 1 to grab a cold drink and a snack to mow on the way to New Hampshire.

7. Francois says:

A freshly-made SuperSonic cheeseburger rivals even an In-N-Out double-double animal-style, in my opinion, although they’re slightly different.

It’s just so difficult to get a fresh burger from Sonic.

• Raiders757 says:

I can’t wait to one day try an In-N-Out burger, but that Animal style burger sounds just outright nasty. A great burger shouldn’t have so many toppings on it.

8. Aimee says:

My friends are telling me the food is better at the Sonics in the South. We finally got one after 10 years of torturous commercials. LOVE the Ocean Water. Love it!

• Travis says:

I agree, the Sonic we have in our town is o.k. It seems like the one’s that I ate at in Texas had better limeades and the burgers are hotter. I don’t get it. How hard is it to serve a hot burger these days?

9. Sara says:

Oklahoma — Home of Sonic. Been a customer since I was born. The original slogan of the company was Sonic: Service with the speed of sound.
    Menus vary at locations; so don’t always expect the exact same items.
    But you can always expect Sonic ice. It’s famous & is part of what makes the drinks so great.

10. Keith says:

They just started construction of a Sonic in my town – you’d think the Pope was coming!

11. fangedangel32 says:

I agree about Sonic’s ice, it is so awesome. When I was pregnant last summer I got so addicted to the cherry limeades, and then eventually the ice. My baby is now 8 months old and I still go through 2 bags of Sonic Ice a week, thankfully it is so cheap, though I do feel weird when going through the drive through and coming out with nothing but a bag of ice lol.

12. Raiders757 says:

I remember when we didn’t have any Sonic’s where I lived and discovered them on a trip to St. Louise and Rola. I love their breakfast sandwiches, and think it’s awesome that they serve them all day long. Still, I’ll trade all our Sonic’s in for a Steak & Shake.

13. Mary Keyser says:

wow…..only one Sonic in the whole state?! What would we do without Sonic??

14. dsweed says:

WASN’T THERE A SONIC IN WILLMINGTON BEFORE PEABODY? I KNOW , ITS STILL THERE…