Hitting the Road: Towne Deli in Staten Island, New York… Featuring The Mess

When there is an opportunity to go 45 minutes out of my way for a killer sandwich, I might not even think twice about it.  I was in beautiful, flooded New Jersey this past weekend and on the way back down south to Maryland, decided to head north first.  The lunch destination was Towne Deli in Staten Island, New York.  Towne Deli is home to a sandwich called “The Mess”.  The Mess consists of salami, cappicola, mortadella, turkey, roast beef, peppered ham, provolone, lettuce, tomato, oil, vinegar & spices. This massive sandwich seemed to be over a foot long and completely stuffed with the Boar’s Head Brand.  The bread was fantastic too.  Yeah it’s called The Mess but the bread contained this beast easily.  Quality stuff.

The price tag was a mere $8.25 and for a sandwich that had this much weight to it, a major bargain.  You could take this sandwich apart and make about 4 decent sized sandwiches.  Paying under 10 bucks for The Mess was a steal.  Pictures and words don’t do the sandwich justice but feast your eyes and check out Towne Deli if you’re ever in the area.

Oh I almost forgot… The Mess humbled me.  It took lunch and dinner to finish.  I have failed you all.

5373 Arthur Kill Road

Staten Island, NY

(718) 227.1985

(718) 948.9813
Towne Deli & Pizza on Urbanspoon

13 comments on “Hitting the Road: Towne Deli in Staten Island, New York… Featuring The Mess

1. Josh says:

Yeah…that is the one thing I miss about living in NY a real deli…a NY hard roll is a glorious thing

2. Raiders757 says:

That sandwich sounds awesome!!! I have got to try one of those.

3. Patrick says:

Wow that looks great! I’m not into pickles though, so I’d probably take them out…

Don’t forget to visit the restaraunt I suggested (Jeremy’s Cafe) while you’re in NY

4. DHL says:

That sandwich didn’t look intimidating at all. I am a champ when it comes to eating and easily woof down overstuffed foot long italian hoagies at lunch time. Even before reading this article I looked at the pictures and asked where is the meat?

• Robby says:

In between the bread, you blind bat.

• DHL says:

I’m still looking and I just quite don’t see it. I have this issue at one of the delis I go to. If I get the lone female employee to make my sandwich it looks like that one, very little meat, however if I get one of the guys working behind the counter that sucker is stuffed.

• Ryan says:

I’m going to agree with you. When I saw the pictures, I felt the same way. The pics don’t do it justice. Granted it’s not an absurd amount of meat stacked between thin rye bread, but it is definitely hefty…and worth 8 bucks.

5. rob says:

I would hit that sandwich like the U.S. troops hit Normandy …

6. Jillian says:

Sick. You should see my face right now. I didn’t believe it til I saw it. I’ll stick to spoonfuls of habanero chili sauce, straight up.

7. Jerry says:

I’ve had “The Mess” and it’s definitely a good buy. Towne Deli makes some quality grub and its also a pizzeria.

8. Nick C says:

I want that!!!

9. Nicky says:

Awesome, I live right here in SI nearby. Thanks for covering something in my area!

10. Nicky says:

Tried it yesterday. It was great, just too vinegar-y lol.