Food News: McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish 99 cents?

Seriously, how is the McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish not already a “Dollar Menu” item?  Either the Filet-O-Fish has shrunken down to an almost laughable size or my hands have become monstrous.  So we are in the season of Lent and fish on Friday’s is a common tradition.  Last year we featured a seafood product on every Friday during Lent (check out our Fish Fridays Review Wrap-Up).  Of course one of those products was the McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish.  Here in the DC Metro area, the McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish is promo priced at 99 cents for a limited time. Add in a medium fries and drink for $3.99.  The 99 cents for the sandwich alone is a nice deal but an extra $3.00 for fries/drink?  Really?  So do you have this deal running in your town? Let us know.

28 comments on “Food News: McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish 99 cents?

1. ChrisSh says:

McDonalds fish sandwiches are 2/$3.33 where I live. So $1.625 for that tiny looking sandwich. I haven’t even bothered getting one this year because I remembered how small they are. On a recent trip to Burger King however, one of my buddies got their fish sandwich (2/$4, so $2 a piece) and it was huge! It honestly looked like it was twice the size of the McDonalds one. Someone needs to do a head to head comparison! He reported that it was really good, and the lack of cheese (as McDonalds has) wasn’t even noticeable.

• Pam says:

You are correct about the small size of McD’s fish sandwich but no other restaurant comes close to the taste of it. I’d take a smaller fish over a larger, less tastier fish any day! and, yes, the cheese does make a difference! I go for taste over size in this one, sorry!!

2. Rodzilla says:

Last I checked they were 2/$4 around me. Not worth it

3. boyer66 says:

2 /$4 here in Pittsburgh as well

4. Tracy says:

Is that cheese on the sandwich? I’ve never had a Filet o Fish but can’t imagine a fied fish sandwich with cheese. Yuck!

5. Evan says:

Has anyone tried the new cilantro lime fish sandwich from BK? I tried the sauce, and It’s excellent.

6. Nicole says:

The Filet of Fish in Utah is $2.59. I used to eat those daily when I was pregnant with my daughter (10 years ago) and can barely swallow one down. I am interested in trying the BK Cilantro Lime Fish Sandwich.

7. rob says:

Cheese on a fried fish sandwich is in fact so delicious that they made it illegal to serve them in three states.

8. ChuckR says:

Yep, the BK Big Fish is pretty good. I like it almost as much as the Filet-O-Fish. The Filet has nostalgia, plus its a great sandwich. Buy two for Lent.

9. sophia says:

What?! I did not know it’s not in the dollar menu yet…what the freak? I guess because it’s got “fish” in there…
    I just checked, and the fish-o-filet is $1.29 here in LA.

10. Adam Bomb says:

I’m another fan of the BK fish sandwich. It beats out the filet-o-fish any day, IMO.

11. Scott says:

On the other hand, the Burger King sandwich at 640 calories is not quite double the Filet-o-Fish’s 380. So no wonder you like it better.

12. Bunny says:

Where I live the filet-o-fish is $1.29 only on Fridays during Lent. It should be on the dollar Menu. It is pretty small and only has half a slice of cheese.

13. Ray says:

I love the filet o fish but it is expensive in Canada. We are hard pressed to find any deals like that here.

14. SkippyMom says:

I actually think your pic makes the filet look large [bun looks small tho'] and if you are this disappointed that it has “shrunk” – while I agree it has gotten a bit smaller, but not to the extent that you claim – why don’t you just not bother with it?

I love these darn things – and the cheese makes it. I live by you so I too can get it for .99 cents – but their STUPID commercial drives me so nuts [Givemebackthatfiletfishgivemethatfish] argh I won’t bother to purchase it. I have my standards. LOL

And I agree with everyone else – the BK fish is amazing and worth the money.

• Ryan says:

@ SkippyMom … You’re right! I’d have to say the bun is the main culprit of the shrinkage. I actually don’t bother with it and it was purchased for the review…(last year). I think it’s worth a buck but not really worth the regular price purchase for me. Arby’s has a great fish sandwich if you can track it down.

15. ratbuddy says:

I’d rather have the quality and size stay the same, and the price go up. Unfortunately, too many cheapskates just buy based on price, so something has to give – in this case, size. That makes the cheapskates even angrier, as if they have some god given right to $1 sandwiches..

16. Aimee says:

They are not $1 here, and you have to ask for extra cheese & onions to make it palatable.

Wendy’s fish sandwich is a-may-zing.

17. Crusader says:

This and any other sandwich from McDonald’s is a heart-attack waiting to happen!

18. Susan says:

Perhaps the pricing of the McDonald’s Filet O’ Fish (with fries and a drink) is in direct competition to the Arby’s fish sandwich combo for $3.99.

I love the McD’s sandwich because I have been eating them since I was old enough to remember. But that Arby’s fish sandwich is indeed better quality and a better value.

19. ngames1 says:

Whoever made the “give me that filet-o-fish” radio commercial should be shot.

20. Delphi says:

I live in arizona and am addicted to the damn things from childhood… Sadly they sell them for 3.69 here where I live and I cant find a good deal. Last time I whent i spent $11 on 3 and a medium fries and was hardly fully… very dissapointed at the gouging and have decided I cant afford one of my few vices anymore :( hell 1.50 I’d buy em but 3.69 is too much.

21. Isaac says:

Where I live they sell the Filet-O-Fish for the regular price but it’s much larger than that! lol wow they must have made it smaller just to make it $1. I’ll pass on that watered down version of my Tasty Filet-of-Fish any day! Plus we have better promotions like the $1.99 10 Pc McNuggets there’s a 50 Pc which super cheap and they also carry a Double Filet-O-FIsh which I am in love with! It is so GOOOD. Ha Ha When your McDonalds offers all that, Who needs a $1 Piece of Small Fish? XD

22. Jeff says:

The Filet o Fish meal was $5.40 here in Rochester NY. I think that is higher than normal and I think my McDonald’s may be price gouging due to it being lent.

23. Jane says:

I saw the ad on tv but none of the restaurants I have checked in York or Lancaster PA have the 99 cent sandwich. They do have the combo for $3.99, but I don’t want that!

24. DCRADAR202 says:

.99 cents here in DC. No doubt a Lent promotion.

25. Al says:

Is the filet of fish on sale in canada