Food News: McDonald’s Shamrock Shake

St. Patty’s Day is right around the corner and it’s time for the Shamrock Shake to make a return.  This limited-time only green treat should be springing up at select McDonald’s locations around this time of year.  Is it at your local McD’s? Last year, the McDonald’s Shamrock Shake lost out in a head to head battle with Dairy Queen Mint Oreo Blizzard.  Which one will you grab this time?

7 comments on “Food News: McDonald’s Shamrock Shake

1. Tracy says:

I’ve had 3 this year so far and they aren’t as good this year. For some reason it tastes like toothpaste. I don’t know if it is the restaurant’s syrup ratio that makes the difference but not liking, what I look so forward to all year, this year.

2. Raiders757 says:

That’s twice I’ve read that this years version isn’t very good. Looks like I’ll just stick with the version that came in my ‘Top Secrete Recipes’ book. Comes out perfect every single time.

3. SkippyMom says:

Raiders are you going to share your Top Secret Recipe with the class? I’ll be your best friend. lol.

I think after the reviews I might have to try DQs or make our own. Thanks for yet another great idea for the kids for the holidays. :)

4. Robby says:

DQ’s is so much better.

5. Peter Aleman says:

Shamrock Shake!

6. Raiders757 says:

@SkippyMom

Makes two servings

2 cups vanilla ice cream
    1-1/4 cup of milk
    1/4 teaspoon of mint extract(not peppermint)
    8 drops of green food coloring.

Blend until desired consistency

This is from the book “Top Secrete Recipes: Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits and Shakes”

7. Aimee says:

I tried to get one with breakfast (my throat hurt & it was St Patrick’s Day!!!) and they said it was too early in the day for Shamrock shakes. There is never a wrong time for Shamrock shakes! They’re right off the freeway and open 24/7 so you’d think they’d prepare for their 3rd shift customers who are just getting off work at that time? Nope. So I didn’t get to try one, I think we’ll make em at home today. Thanks for the recipe, Raiders, I’m gonna add dark chocolate chips to that.