Homemade: Dark Chocolate Oatmeal with Cinnamon, Bacon and Chili Powder

Our good friends at the blog Would I Buy it Again (a must read, by the way) recently asked “How do you take your oatmeal?” It’s a great question, but one which seems all too predictable for the multitude of ‘health’ bloggers out and about the interwebs today. And while I too am guilty of buying into the common standbys of apples and cinnamon and peaches and cream low fat milk, truth be told I like to try to be a little bolder in my oatmeal creations these days.  After all, what more is oatmeal than a grain, and what more is a grain than a vehicle of flavors both sweet and savory?

Case in point, one of my latest oatmeal creations: Dark Chocolate Oatmeal with Cinnamon, Bacon and Chili Powder.

Looks good, don’t it?  Not to pat myself on the back too much , but this homemade concoction was really quite good, although I did run into some problems that I hope to fix the next time I make it. Interested in recreating this soon-to-be classic on your own? Well then, let’s start with the ingredients. They were:

• 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
  • 1 Cup Water (or milk)
  • 3 Slices Cooked Bacon, preferably of the smoked variety
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 piece dark chocolate, chopped

As far as making the actual oatmeal goes, it’s relatively simple. Combine the oatmeal with the water, cinnamon, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce and cook in a microwave  according to the oatmeal’s directions. Typically I like to do this in a super big bowl, and to start off on a lower power level before bringing the microwave up to full blast. After cooking the oatmeal almost to the point of where you’d want it to be cooked to if you were to eat it straight-up, remove the bowl and let cool. Then, microwave your cooked bacon to warm it up and render some of the surface fat. Chop it up and drop into the bowl of oatmeal, and give the bowl some more seasoning to taste. Finally, cut up your dark chocolate into small pieces (or shavings) and drop into the bowl. Nuke it all up again for thirty seconds or so and remove, cool, and swirl. What you have is a chic representation of one of the most classic salty-sweet combos ever devised, and a damn good Sunday brunch if you ask me.

As for those problems I mentioned, there are a few things that made the oatmeal taste somewhat “off.” One deficiency I found was the ratio of Worcestershire sauce to sugar. Basically, unless you go with a very sweet bacon, you may be better off dropping a tablespoon of brown sugar and/or splenda in your bowl to balance things out. Secondly, realize that your oatmeal is only going to be as strong as the quality of ingredients that you put in it goes. I admit that as a money-strapped college student who “procured” half these ingredients from my dining hall (and the others from a Wal-Mart) I wasn’t exactly dealing with the height of freshness here, and likely would have benefited from fresher spices. Still, I consider the results of this little foray into the world of savory-sweet oatmeal a success, and look forward to coming up with more outside the box renditions of the breakfast staple in the future.

Previous Crazy Creations via Adam:

Grilled Bison Liver Kabob Tacos

Teriyaki-marinated Mako Shark and Pineapple

10 comments on “Homemade: Dark Chocolate Oatmeal with Cinnamon, Bacon and Chili Powder

1. rob says:

I used chocolate whey protein in my oatmeal, chocolate makes everything better.

2. Geoff says:

What a strange combination…but I’m strangely curious. :)

3. Yum Yucky says:

oh my gosh. I’m having trouble breathing from the shocker sight of that pic. Can I get some?

4. First, thanks for the shoutout on the blog/post. Much appreciated.

Secondly, you were not joking when you said last week that you had some crazy concoction. I can understand the bacon, cinnamon and the chocolate, but the chili powder and Worcestershire sauce? That’s absolutely insane. I am sort of horrified by it, but also oddly curious about what the combination may bring. I may have to make a SMALL batch just to try it out to see if like it/can tolerate it.

By the way, there must be a big oatmeal push on all the food blogs recently. Serious Eats (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/french-toast-oatmeal-and-banana-nut-breakfast-recipe.html) had a post about it a couple of days ago and even posted a recipe for “French Toast Oatmeal.” I gave it a shot last night and I will definitely give the recipe a thumbs up. It’s definitely a more traditional recipe, especially when compared to yours.

5. Adam says:

Rob,
    Used to do the same, but found that the oatmeal got to “tough” without milk, and needed to much sweetner to sustain any kind of taste. Not bad with a banana though.

YumYucky,
    Of course. Please, feel free to break away from all that ‘diet’ food for a day and indulge lol! :)

IE,
    What can I say, it must be that time of the year. But really, the idea of Worcestershire hit me a couple weeks ago when I made oatmeal with diced ham, mustard, and a variety of spices. I just felt like it needed an extra kick of “meatiness,” and what better product to promote it? I eat savory oatmeal almost everyday; tonight I am throwing some pasta sauce and fresh mozzerella in a bowl. I think of oatmeal like southerners think of grits or Italians think of Polenta, I guess. But truth be told I still start most of my mornings with apple cinnamon oatmeal made with skim milk haha.

6. SkippyMom says:

You know, some things just aren’t meant to be – or I am closer to a purist than I think, but worsteshire sauce? There is savory/sweet and then there is….well, you I guess. LOL

Glad you enjoy it. Can you actually get anyone to sit with you when you eat that? or the ham concoction?

And livng in an Italian family – we would never defile polenta in such a manner. heehee

7. Adam Bomb says:

I’m generally a VERY open-minded foodie, but worcestershire and chocolate…..I don’t know.

8. Bob says:

I’m down with the chocolate and the chili. Not sure about Worcestershire sauce, or the bacon. I’d probably use a little brown sugar and salt instead and eatt he bacon on the side :)

9. sophia says:

Oh, come on. What the heck is wrong with Worcestershire sauce? It’s like intensified balsamic vinegar…and it has that tangy, rich, intense umami taste. I would totally dig into this! And not just one bowl, too!

p.s. oats with butter and marmite. What about that, eh?

10. [...] fact, I was totally blown away by his recent oatmeal creation: Dark Chocolate Oatmeal with Cinnamon, Bacon, and Chili Powder. Um, what the freak? How freaking genius and creative and fabulous and cool is that? Definitely not [...]