Best. Sandwich. Ever.

Ok, an honest call to all you GrubGrade readers out there. August might be the official “National Sandwich Month,” but I want to know what’s the best sandwich you ever had. Yea, as in like EVER. Why do I ask?  Because I think I just finished eating the best sandwich I ever had. Have a gander:

I give you the Sugar Spiced Pork Baguette from Elements Restaurant in Logan, Utah. After raving about their woodfired pizzas, I just knew I had to get back to this contemporary American eatery ASAP. I did, and this time made it around for lunch, where their exotic and innovative selection of sandwiches made picking just one almost an impossible task. I ended up splurging on the $8.00 sandwich above, which featured generous portions of perfectly brined and roasted pork loin, crispy tobacco onions, and a savory-sweet combo of barbecue sauce matched with a whole grain ‘creole’ mustard. All jammed inside a crispy french baguette. If this wasn’t perfection between two slices of bread, I don’t know what would be!

So I’m asking you GrubGrade readers…What is the best sandwich you’ve ever had? It can be as simple as your first Burger King Whopper, or something as complex and sophisticated as an Italian panini. I’m not here to judge, I’m just hungry!

Elements Restaurant on Urbanspoon

28 comments on “Best. Sandwich. Ever.

1. Justin says:

Looks good!

2. geenanana says:

Best sandwich I have ever had was a montreal smoked meat sandwich from a Montreal deli by the name of Schwartz.

medium fat – montreal smoked meat so tender and flavourful with a perfect amount of regular mustard in between 2 slices of rye.

Best sandwich ever.

true story.

3. Adam says:

Mmmm sounds good. I’m a big fan of Rye bread also. Anything from a deli and you’re set!

4. Michael says:

I have to say A Burger King Whopper from the late 1970’s. Maybe how it was prepared then? Maybe being 14 and devouring the whole thing ! Damn it tasted good.

5. SkippyMom says:

Well, I would name one of my homemade ones [French Dip] but that isn’t in the spirit of the game….

So, I can say, without a doubt the best sandwich I have ever had was made by our Sous Chef at “C.J. Nickel’s Restaurant” in Springfield VA – it was a rueben on perfectly toasted rye, hot sauerkraut, lean corned beef, swiss – grilled to holiness and with a side of dressing for dipping [my preference] and a crunchy pickle.

Alas – although I had my wedding reception at this particular restaurant [they had the most awesome Prime Rib] they are now defunct.

Still – the chef, Chip, taught me and my Mom to make them and we enjoy them [almost as much] to this day.

His were SO good.

Can i have a second place? Please? I love Roy Rogers cheeseburgers with the fixins bar – oh – the toasted bun, the real patty [I think] anything you pick to put on it. YES! That is my chain pick – and RR’s fries are the absolute best. IMO

6. Roger H says:

I hate to be the one who posts a chain pick, but I’m gonna go with the Breakfast Dagwood from Denny’s. It was heavenly. I wish they’d bring it back, they did away with them about 5 years ago, but never again have I had a breakfast sandwich so good.

There’s also a local place called Hank’s Deli. I go in there and get roast beef and turkey with swiss cheese on homemade white with homemade creamy italian spread. Great sandwich.

7. Adam says:

Hey, I have no problems with chains! After all, one of the best chicken sandwiches I’ve ever had is the always reliable CFA Chargrilled Chicken w/ bacon. Also have to mention Beef on Weck from Anderson’s (A Buffalo chain)!

8. Ryan says:

Best sandwich I ever had? The Super Mario from Ike’s Place is a worthy candidate.

9. Adam Bomb says:

I don’t know about the best sandwich ever, but I’ll tell you the worst sandwich I’ve ever had. It was today, and it was from the Wal-Mart deli. I was in a hurry, and I grabbed an “Italian Combo” sandwich on ciabatta. Salami, hot ham, bologna and provolone. It was the driest, most flavorful turd of a sandwich I’ve ever laid taste buds upon.

That sangwich in the picture looks amazing, btw.

10. sophia says:

Um, wow. Onions. A simple roasted pork. Good mustard. Crusty bread. That’s the definition of heaven, right there!

Favorite sandwich…ah, it really depends on the mood, but what I can think of now is smoked turkey, cranberry sauce, brie, arugula in a good, crusty baguette that crisps and crackles when you bite into it!

Oh, and the Umami Burger was freaking good, too.

But sometimes, I just like a simple ham and cheese sandwich with mayo and tomatoes.

11. Raiders757 says:

I’m not sure I can say what the all time best sandwich I’ve ever had is. I’ve had some great sandwiches over the years. I can say that my favorite sandwich is a Hot Holly from Pauls Deli in Williamsburg, Va. (Right across the street from Zable Stadium. home of William & Mary Tribe football.)

Roast Beef, Turkey, Bacon, and American Cheese on a sub roll toasted in the oven, then topped with lettuce and onions. Normally comes with pickles and tomatoes as well, but I always pass on that. Add a little Italian Dressing to kick things up a notch, and I am in sandwich heaven.

The New York Deli in Williamsburg also makes a really good version as well.

Now my stomach is growling at me.

12. Clevegal42 says:

The best sandwich(es) I’ve ever had were the ham and cheese sandwiches when I was in France, and I’m not even a fan of ham and cheese. It was a crusty baguette, some heavenly butter like spread (it could have just been butter), some kind of white cheese and some ham. I had never had anything like it before and I haven’t had anything like it since – I crave it. I had a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch every day on that trip and it was delicious in Paris, Mont St. Michel and some little bar in some little town that I don’t remember the name – but I remember the sandwich. Yum.

13. rob says:

The grouper sandwich is the claim to fame in the Tampa Bay area, for my money the Grouper Reuben is the best sandwich ever, it’s a Reuben sandwich with a fried grouper fillet for the meat.

Grouper is a white flakey fish fillet but they are big flakes which gives it a meatier texture. Also since the fillet is thick it isn’t as dry as most fish sandwiches.

To me one kind of fish is pretty much like the other, but I will go out of my way for a good grouper sandwich.

14. graciecat says:

I’m just going to apologize up front because I have (at least) two.

Best nostalgia sammich – Italian Beef from any Portillo’s in the Chicago suburbs. The picture is not complete without cheese fries. Oh man, I dream about that stuff.

Best local sammich – Avocado Sunshine from Delicious Temptations right here in Lil Rock, AR… turkey, spinach, avocado, sprouts, tomato, sunflower seeds, swiss cheese, & homemade ranch (they make it with yogurt!), I get it on whole wheat bread, just plain old soft bread. hehehe… *drool*

Are burgers a sandwich? My favorite local dive bar makes a burger that’s awesome even if it’s not 2 am. The ingredients aren’t anything special but the way they come together.. oh man. Midtown Billiards. Gotta give props.

15. jess says:

I will never forget the first time I had a fresh gyro. It was like my deliciousness exploding in my mouth.

16. Adam says:

Oh man all of these sound great!

@Sophia, as far as I’m concerned, brie is the best cheese to get with a “sweet” condiment like cranberry sauce. Remember my “Granny” haha (FYI for all others, it’s in Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis — it’s a grilled chicken breast with grilled apples and melted brie!)
    @BrandEating, Love the site dude, and that sugar-cured pastrami sounds amazing. That’s what I liked about the Elements pork — you could tell it was well brined and not just ‘rubbed.
    @Graciecat — Wow that sounds awsome!

Love these comments guys (and gals). Keep ‘em coming!

17. Leah says:

Either just a simple burger from Urban Burger Co. or a portabella-mozzarella panini from Panera, which is sadly not made anymore. I’m a simple girl.

18. wibia says:

Plenty of locals I can brag on, but chain/casual…#13 from Jersey Mikes.

19. amy says:

The sliced steak sandwich (lunch only) at pastis in NYC ($17) is worth every freaking penny. #1 sandich EVER. #2 sandwich goes to the Porchetta sandwich served on Thursdays and Saturdays only at the Roli Roti stand at the San Francisco Ferry building. RUN for either.

20. Cuban sandwiches in Miami or Tampa. Pork, ham, pickles, mustard and swiss in a press. Throw on some hot & sweet sauce that the Cuban places keep on the table…mmmm.

21. mel says:

Need to try Elements burger! (i swear i don’t work for them)…

22. Zach says:

White House Subs in Atlantic City, no doubt!
    Made on handsome Italian loaves just hours from the oven, White House subs are definitive: hot or cold, eaten there or to go, this is the ultimate Delaware Valley sub-sandwich eating experience. Overstuffed, full of flavor and enough for two people, easy.

23. Rufus says:

Arby’s Market fresh Sandwich The turkey one is amazing! The bread that they use is absolutely the best bread I’ve ever eaten. I still have one almost everyday. The bacon is crisp perfectly cooked if you’ve never had one try it NOW you won’t regret it.

24. Courtney says:

The best sandwich I have ever had is the Monti Christo! Its a sandwich usually made with thick cut bread, turkey, ham, cheddar, swiss, then battered deep fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with a side of raspberry preserves to dip. It is heaven on a plate!

25. mary chamblee says:

I’d say the Pear cheeseburger at a local cafe called the ”busy bee cafe” it has onions,pears,Havarti cheese,krispy bun, and a special honey sauce… i love them you’d think the pears would be nasty but it makes it sooo delicious

26. Mason says:

Lasagne sandwich. Made homemade mini spinach/proscuitto/ricotta lasagnas then sliced them and put them on sourdough with mozz and a little cheddar, put on the panini grill and served with marinara for dipping. wow. considering adding a sausage or sliced meatball layer