I Had Colombian Food Today

Earlier this week I did a little bio on myself.  It was a way for my readers to get to know me a little better after having this blog up and running for 11 months.  I forgot to mention that my mom is Colombian.  We had a little family time today with lunch at a place called Colombian Breeze in Gaithersburg, Maryland.  A tiny hole in the wall that serves up authentic specialties from the northwest South American country.  I won’t go too deep into the details as this post is just an excuse to post pictures of food other than pizza, hot dogs, burgers and fries.

Colombian BreezeI started off with some empanadas with aji.  There are many different styles of empanada.  This Colombian empanada was fried and stuffed with a mixture of ground beef and potato. Aji is a sauce made of cilantro, green onions, red or black pepper, vinegar, salt, and lemon juice.

Colombian Empanadas

Colombian EmpanadaMy main course was Chuleta de Pollo con arroz y platano.  Looks a little plain, but that was the kind of mood I was in.  Basically a flattened, breaded and fried chicken breast served with rice and fried plantains.  Forgive me for not knowing exactly what is on everyone’s plates.  Just know that chorizo is usually involved.

Chuleta de PolloColombian Grub

Check them out:

Colombian Breeze

48 Main St.

Gaithersburg, MD 20878

240-350-4217
Jaymar Colombian Breeze on Urbanspoon

7 comments on “I Had Colombian Food Today

1. TomHandy says:

This sounds awesome – can’t wait to try it out next time i’m around Gaithersburg.

2. Francois says:

I’ve never had bandeja paisa with minced/ground beef as pictured in the bottom right picture. Looks good, though.

3. rob says:

The ground beef looks like their version of picadillo. I loves me some picadillo.

4. DJ Dedd says:

@Francois – Funny, I’ve only seen bandeja paisa with the ground beef. Are you paisa? I’m from Bogota. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandeja_paisa I’ve found Colombian food in general to be very straight-forward, relying primarily on condiments for excitement.

5. Francois says:

@DJ Dedd, no I’m not Colombian and come to think of it I’ve only had bandeja paisa in Ecuadorian, Venezuelan, or Peruvian restaurants. Maybe it’s just a regional preference? I don’t know. It was a piece of grilled skirt steak as opposed to ground steak.

Here’s a picture of a recent meal:

6. ratbuddy says:

That chicken and rice dish looks really good. I’d probably just put butter and salt on the rice, and leave the rest as-is. Mmm.