First Impressions: SweetFire Chicken from Panda Express

Everyone’s favorite shopping mall food court quick-serve Chinese food recently introduced a new item back on September 23rd.  SweetFire Chicken Breast boasts “crispy all-white meat chicken, fresh red bell peppers, diced onions and juicy pineapples, wok-tossed to perfection in our zesty sweet chili sauce.”

SweetFire Chicken from Panda Express

I’m a fan of Panda, especially the Orange Chicken.  The last new item that Panda Express came out with was the Beijing Beef and I’ve had some great batches and some not so great.  The hit-or-miss issues at Panda have trickled down to the brand new SweetFire Chicken…specifically in the heat department.  Everything was good except for the fact it was not spicy whatsoever.  The SweetFire Chicken is tasty enough for me to give it another shot (and likely another and another).  Spicy and sweet are two delicious traits when speaking of Americanized-Chinese grub.  Believe it or not I’ve found more heat in the Orange Chicken and Beijing Beef…two tasty items that lack the word “fire” in their names.  Marvo over at The Impulsive Buy reviewed the SweetFire Chicken last week and we both agree that it’s a worthy new dish.  I’m just hoping for some actual fire on my next visit.  Just not too much fire, I can’t take a lot of heat but a nice balance of spicy and sweet would make me a happy grubber.  Looking forward to a kicked-up “zesty sweet chili sauce” next time.

Two items from Panda Express that have more heat than my first experience with the new SweetFire Chicken.

Orange Chicken and Beijing Beef from Panda Express

Orange Chicken on the left, Beijing Beef on the right

7 comments on “First Impressions: SweetFire Chicken from Panda Express

1. Raiders757 says:

It always seems that no matter which Americanized Chinese place that I order from, the items posted in red, are never all that spicy or hot. It never fails.

2. Adam Bomb says:

The breaded chicken looks really pale in that pic, like it wasn’t cooked long enough. Did it look like that in person?

3. Ryan says:

@ Adam Bomb … Yeah it looked like that in person…nothing about seemed undercooked….although I did have to wait 10min for it..

4. Bunny says:

While I don’t go to Panda very often (too expensive and they give tiny portions) I did like the Beijing Beef. They also had Thai cashew chicken that was very good.

5. Marianne says:

Tried the SweetFire chicken for lunch yesterday. It had nice flavor, but was definitely lacking the Fire!

6. Michael says:

Just stumble upon your site and I am bookmarking it. Anyway, have you ever been to hong kong express? There orange chicken is way better, tastier, and crispier, for $4.69 (1 item combo) or $5.99 (2 item combo), the 2 item combo, they fill the box up with so much food that the lid can’t close properly.