RememBear This: Fruit Roll-Ups

Goodness gracious these were tasty. I felt so much cooler than the kids who only got fruit leathers. How many different iterations of these were there? I mean, if you count all the different flavors (Blastin’ Berry Hot Colors, Cherry Orange Wildfire, Crazy Pix Cool Chix Berry Wave, Crazy Pix Wild Ones Blastin’ Berry, Electric Blue Raspberry just to name a few) and all the patterns (Disney characters, Nickelodeon Characters, animals, cars, rainbow, swirls, tongue tattoos, etc) there was endless varieties.

Fruit Roll Ups

These scrumptious treats were “real fruit and fun, rolled up in one.” Real fruit, really? ‘Cause they tasted like candy, which to me means loads of sugar and HFCS. But a quick look on the box and sure enough they do actually contain fruit…not sure how much needs be to stated that but oh well, they’re too delicious to argue about.

My Fruit Roll Ups

Mom always tells you not to play with your food but then she sends you off on your way with these bad boys in your JanSport. What’s a kid to do now? It’s very confusing. As long as no adults are looking, right? Roll it out, twist it, stretch it and best of all….murder the innocent cartoon characters one extremity at a time with your little baby teeth….I mean…they’re going to fall out anyways so no need to worry about cavities…am I right, huh brotha…high five…no…nothing? See that’s what I get for trying to eat one of these in front of the bullies…now I’m a fruit roll-up. Wait…that didn’t come out quite right….ah…you know what I meant.

Riddle me this…what’s the one snack that your mom packed that everyone else wanted?

10 comments on “RememBear This: Fruit Roll-Ups

1. Tish says:

I’m 25 years old and not ashamed to admit that I still purchase Fruit Roll Up’s for myself, religiously. They are always on my grocery list and I don’t think I’ll ever stop eating them. I have eaten them since before I can even remember.

Surely they are my all time favorite, next to beef jerky, which is also a staple of my childhood along with Apple Juice.

2. Bear where are you?! I hope your ok. I use to love to wrap fruit roll-ups around my fingers and make pretend that I had long nails. It was also a challenge to try and get the figure out of the roll-up without ripping it.

Let’s see the thing that I brought to school that everyone was jealous of was probably something home baked my mom made.

3. Yum Yucky says:

Where oh where is my Bear??

4. Pasquinel says:

I was more of a cafeteria kid so rarely brought a packed lunch. Unlike most, I actually have fond memories of most of my elementary school’s offerings. Chalk it up to my odd tastebuds but despite not liking most fastfood burgers, I really dug the cafeteria burgers. They were really simple affairs. Just a beef patty w/ a pickle between two buns. Plain, but just the way I like ‘em. Other items I craved: the hotdogs, turkey w/ mash potatoes & gravy, the tater tots, the brownies w/ an M&M on top of the frosting, terrific freshly baked cookies that I preferred to Mrs. Field’s, the fruit cocktails. Afterschool, we got to purchase Good Humor popsicles. I loved the Big Stick and lime-flavored variety. Of course, there were some Debbie downers as well. I detested the french bread pizzas, tacos, and soggy crinkle fries.

5. Adam Bomb says:

I definitely remember eating Fruit Roll-Ups when I was a kid! I had them back before they went crazy with all the wild patterns and flavor combos. Back then they were just single color, single flavor fruit snacks that stuck to your teeth like glue. I kinda miss them.

6. ChrisSh says:

I kind of liked fruit roll-ups, but they were so tart that they always made my mouth water in this really weird, uncomfortable way. In fact, just thinking of them right now makes my mouth feel the same way. It’s almost made my jaw hurt or something… am I crazy or did that happen to anyone else?

7. Adam Bomb says:

ChrisSh: Sure you didn’t eat a blotter of acid, and you just thought it was a fruit roll-up? LOL j/k, j/k.

8. Melissa says:

I always loved fruit roll ups too as a child and I still buy them today!

These are the ones I had from when I was little at school

They are just as good as I remember! And they’re made with real fruit unlike those processed junk food ones. You should check these out! Cherry is my favorite!

9. Nicole Williams says:

bear where are you?? so many people are worried please give someone a sign that you are ok!!! i miss you…

10. Chuck says:

Does anyone remember “String Things”? Like the gummy snack in shapes like cars on flat wax papers kind of packaging? They were soo food. Especially the blue ones!