Hitting the Road: West Coast Prerequisite, In-N-Out Burger

So I’m in California for the weekend and of course I had to stop by for some In-N-Out…my favorite fast food burger.  It was actually my first assignment and it was a tasty one.  I’ve been wanting to write this review for a while now.  It’s coming….but as you can probably guess, you won’t be surprised by the verdict.

In-N-Out Burger

15 comments on “Hitting the Road: West Coast Prerequisite, In-N-Out Burger

1. Looks like you are having a good time with the food over there Ryan. :D

2. Kristopher says:

Don’t miss Pinkberry, Fathers Office, Pie n’ Burger and Fred 62 ….more of my Southern California fav’s (that is, if you are indeed in SoCal).

3. rob says:

I’d like to fill a tub with those burgers and bathe in them.

4. Patrick says:

Wow rob thats kinda gross lol

I need to go to In-N-Out again sometime, its been about 6 years, which was coincidentially when I had my first burger. I owe it to INO!

5. Bob says:

I just wan to say something…

I live in Chicago. I had my first “In-n-out” burger this past May in Las Vegas. I got a double, a single and fries (I was really hungry, and I heard they are the best ever so I thought I’d have 2).

The burger was NOTHING SPECIAL. It tasted similar to “Steak-n-Shake”. I was highly dissapointed. It wasn’t bad, its just that it failed to live up to my lofty expectations. I prefer a char-grilled burger.

If anyone ever visits the Chicagoland area, you need to try out a Portillo’s burger. Their burgers are the greatest, so juicy and flavorful. Their fries are also way better than In-n-Out.

You west coast folks dont know what good food is.

6. Thomas says:

I totally agree with Bob. Yes, INO is better than McDonald’s but it is no where near as good as a lot of people say.

7. John says:

Sweet Mamma……

8. Adam Bomb says:

I’ve heard good and bad about In-N-Out burger, and I’d like to try them someday regardless. There are none anywhere near me, though!

Can’t wait for the review, Ryan.

9. Alex says:

I used to live in Chicago now in the SF Bay area. I LOVE Portillo’s. I grew up on Portillo’s right next to their very first restaurant on the North Side. I crave Italian Beef sandwiches all the time. The difference between a Portillo’s and an In N Out is the quality of the fixings. In N Out Hamburger meat is fresh and never frozen. Their French Fry’s are cut right in front of you from real Potatoes. Not that stuff that the Hamburger chains mix up and combine to make a french fry product. That’s the difference between In N Out and the competition. They have the freshest ingrediants around. Portillo’s is a great franchise, so is Steak N Shake, but IMO In N Out has them beat for delivering a basic Hamburger/Cheeseburger. I would say the only real competition for them is 5 Guys, who basically ripped their core values and created a fantastic burger.

10. Justin says:

@Bob, In-And-Out is one of those places that yuppies overhype. Five Guys is another one. I completely agree about how awful Steak and Shake is.

I mean, people probably only like places like that because they’ve never been to Denny’s. Of course a burger like that will seem like heaven on Earth.

I’ll try out Portillo’s next time I’m in Chicago though!

11. ECF says:

ive also never tried in n out, but i also live in the chicago land area and i can attest to the greatness of portillos. their burgers are delicious, no doubt, but the dogs and beefs are where its at.

culvers also has a DELICIOUS burger, or BUTTER burger should i say. quite possibly better than portillos IMHO.

12. Adam Bomb says:

@ECF: I’m not a big fan of the Culver’s in my town. I think their burgers are very similar to Steak ‘N Shake.

13. Justin says:

@Adam Bomb, I agree, Culver’s burgers are a lot like Steak and Shake.

14. Diana says:

I grew up in SoCal and most people swear by it. I think its great for a fast food cheeseburger. But the best part of INO is the secret menu: grilled onions, animal style (extra sauce and grilled onions), and animal style fries are all great. The shakes are a must also. It is also reasonably priced compared to a $6 combo from mcdonalds for gross food. Its worth a try if you are in the area.

15. T says:

I will always be a loyal fan of Fudrucker’s. Especially thier 2/3 lb triple cheese melt. THAT is a good burger. I am from Cali though, and I think In n Out is something that you slowly get addicted to.