RememBear This: Fruit Stripe Gum

What child doesn’t remember Yipes the Zebra and his mutli-colored gum? This stuff was fantastic. “5 juicy flavors” and a tattoo to boot! Now I have some weird mental connection with this gum and Toys ‘R Us and I’m trying to think if it was because that’s where I would purchase it or because the similarity between Yipes and Geoffrey the Giraffe. I’m not quite sure why I relate the two, oh well.

Fruit Stripe Gum

Fruit Stripe Fun

I think at one point this was the only gum I chewed….for it seems like the good portion of a 3 year stretch. I definitely had a fancy for this stuff. I liked the variety…as many choices as there were Spice Girls (see how I said were, although I’ll be honest, I’m pretty excited about Posh Spice replacing Paula on American Idol).

I remember chomping down on a few pieces in the back of the ol’ Dodge Caravan in the back seat, you know the one next to the melted Crayola mess on it…..was that just my family’s van? The stripes on the seat nearly matching the stripes on my tongue from the three flavors I just zipped through.

What’s your favorite thing with stripes?

The gum has magical powers…it can turn a pocket protector wearing geek to a super hip bro:

13 comments on “RememBear This: Fruit Stripe Gum

1. Yum Yucky says:

WHAT! I can’t believe it. I was so greedy to get that gum and stuff it in my mouth, I NEVER noticed there was a tattoo on the wrapper. This is not cool. I want a do-over.

2. Ryan says:

I think the tattoo thing is a newer thing for Fruit Stripe, I don’t remember it either. Favorite thing with stripes…? Chad Ochocinco kicking last night.

3. @Yum Yucky – Go out and get some today! Relive your childhood a little :P

@Ryan – Great freakin’ answer! That was awesome last night. I love that guy :P

4. Adam Bomb says:

Warning: Fruit Stripe gum is NOT the same as it used to be :( I absolutely LOVED the stuff as a child, and I chewed it all the time. I recently bought a pack to share with my kids, and it really sucks now! I don’t know what happened, but it’s not nearly as sweet and flavorful as it used to be. I’m certain that it’s different. That being said, if you can stomach the new version, it’s still got the sweet tattoos! Ryan, I remember Fruit Stripe having tattoo wrappers back when I was a kid, and I’m 29.

Also, @Bear: You weren’t the only one with melted crayons in the carpet of their parents’ car, lol. I think that happened to every vehicle my parents had throughout my childhood.

5. SkippyMom says:

Nope, I agree with Bear – definitely a tatoo on the wrapper when I was growing up…you licked it and stuck it on…it always bled a bit, but it was pretty dang cool.

I didn’t know the Zebra’s name was Yipes. Missed that. But I do miss chewing gum, especially this.

Yellow was my fav’ – they all tasted the same [to me] but yellow is my fav’ color so I always clamored for that.

And I am too old to have grown up in a mini van and we weren’t allowed food, drink or crayons in the back of the Buick so I can’t attest to whether or not yours was the only one that looked like that – I know our mini van doesn’t, but our kids are much older.

6. I use to love Fruit Striped Gum! I just hated that you could kill a whole pack in 2 hours cause the flavor wouldn’t last. Do you remember the bubblegum flavored ones?

7. Raiders757 says:

When I was hooked on Fruit Stripe Gum, temporary tattoos didn’t exist(as far as I know), so I know there wasn’t one in the packs I bought. The wrappers didn’t even look like the ones in the pick. I’m pretty positive they didn’t get added until the past decade or two.

8. Pasquinel says:

Ack! Toys ‘R Us. Have you been to one lately Bear? I ventured to one a couple of years ago to pick a gift for a friend who recently gave birth and was surprised by the changes. Maybe it was just that particular store but the Toys ‘R Us I grew up with stocked its inventory in a warehouse-like fashion, similar to today’s Costco/Sam’s Club, with mile-high shelves filled to the brim. Today’s Toys ‘R Us, sadly, appears to be far less occupied and takes on the appearance of a more expanded section of Target’s/Walmart’s toy section.

Favorite thing with stripes when I was a kid?
    Non-food: Garfield
    Food: Keebler Fudge Stripes

9. Raiders757 says:

OOOppss!! I had a very bad spelling error that really needs to be corrected before it offends the PC crowd.

Yea, I meant Fruit Striped “Gum”, not err uhh… Yea what somehow resulted from fast typing.

So sorry.

10. Raiders757 says:

Thanks Ryan. :-)

11. varta says:

OMG! I actually saw this in a candy store while I was on vacation and I remember loving it when I was little! The rub on tattoos and the flavor that only lasted 5 minutes!!!! *memories*

12. Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

I saw this in the checkout at Walmart last night. I noticed it says “Sugar Free Gum” on the package. Has it always been sugar free?

Also, the top of the pack says “NEW LONGER LASTING FLAVOR!!!”

Anything has to be longer than 3 seconds…