RememBear This: Fluffernutter Sandwich

For those of you may not know what the Fluffernutter Sandwich is, you may now reference the equation below. I love this description on Wikipedia

A fluffernutter is made by spreading peanut butter on a slice of white bread, then spreading an equal amount of marshmallow creme on another slice, and finally combining them together to form a sandwich.

Fluffernutter

I know I’m always talking about peanut butter related snacks but come on! Wonderbread, Jiffy and Marshmallow Fluff, what’s there not to like? Even throw in a banana or some honey or chocolate chips….mmmmmmm. It’s been far too long since I’ve indulged in a good old Fluffernutter sandwich. I may just have to go out tonight and slap together a QFN (Quad-Stack Fluffernutter, I’m trademarking that).

In between sessions of Oregon Trail and the latest Goosebumps this was a sure way to get sugar into those veins of mine. I think I might have even interrupted a construction of Lincoln Logs to munch on one of them if my mother so offered…actually come to think of it, this was never an offering of hers, it  was always something I had to make (read: sneak) myself, there was no way my Mom would either make this nor approve of me eating it.  :)

What treats did you sneak and how did you get said contraband (friend/relative)?

16 comments on “RememBear This: Fluffernutter Sandwich

1. Yum Yucky says:

Oh my gosh! I grew up looking at the stuff on the shelves!! But it was never purchased. My childhood “fun” involved Special K, rye bread, and seltzer water.

I barely got to have any fun…..except for summertime at Auntie Ruth’s. Then it was Kool Aid and Fruity Pebbles for days, baby!

2. Same story as @Josie. I never had this. I was always a BP & J lover.

As for sneaking snack? Well I was never able to at my Mom’s but when I was over my Dad’s he didn’t care! So I got to have what ever I wanted. lol

3. cress says:

Wow. Peanut butter and marshmallow cream? I’ll think I’ll go throw up now. Can’t wait til they come out with a strawberry and and anchovy sandwich… J/K. Bear…who poured acid on your taste buds?

4. Aimee Self says:

This is sorta a Yankee snack guys…

5. Raiders757 says:

I can honestly say that I have never had a fluffernutter sandwich. sounds like a pretty good combo to me. Maybe add a little preserves to this as well?

Ever tried peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches? yum!

6. RossS says:

I’ve got your back, Bear. They were good. Although PB and honey was my fave, then PB and (brace yourselves) pickle relish. I know, there’s no accounting for taste.
    PB and Apple Butter definitely rocked too!

7. SkippyMom says:

Exsqueeze me Aimee but I am all southern and we loved the heck out these growing up [as did all our friends - so I don't know how Yankee they are]

Yum. Peanut butter was a staple and we would make PB&J, PB&fluffenutter, PB&banana…you name it.

It was how we filled up until Mom got to go shopping at the Military commissary next month [not to mention peanut butter cookies!]

So not as northern as folks think. Really :)

8. Adam Bomb says:

I’ve never had a fluffernutter! I’m not sure I’d like it, either…. Then again, I never thought I’d enjoy a peanut butter and pickle sandwich until I had one a couple of years ago.

I’m going to take this opportunity to once again throw out the suggestion for one of my faves: Grilled cheese with peanut butter. I’m going to mention it every chance I get on here until someone relents and tries it! I swear, it’s awesome.

9. sweetspot says:

I love fluff and love peanut butter but I never had one of these. Growing up white bread wasn’t allowed in the house so you can imagine my mother wasn’t going to allow us to eat a sandwich containing fluff. I try to be less restrictive of what my kids eat but never thought of making one of these for them. Probably would go over better than the peanut butter and pickles mentioned above. Really two of you eat peanut butter and pickles?

10. Bear Silber says:

@Yum Yucky – ummm…how does that connote “childhood fun”? I dig your Auntie Ruth :P

@Erin Brooks – Haha, I’ve divorced parents too and that is one of the plus sides to it :) …that and multiple birthdays, Thanksgivings and Christmas’.

@cress – …possibly the same that poured acid on your heart?

@Aimee – Then call me a Yank!

@Raiders757 – I’ve never had the peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches, but I recommend you try the Fluffernutter and I try yours.

@RossS – I’ll take your word on the PB & PR but I wouldn’t mind trying it.

@SkippyMom – Mmmmmm, a banana Fluffernutter!

@Adam Bomb – Dude, I seriously want to try a PB Grilled Cheese…that and the Goober Burger!

@sweetspot – Hahahahaha

11. nutspee says:

I love fluffernutter sandwiches! Mmm mmm! Try mixing fluff & pb together as a dip for pretzels or crackers…also, nutrlla & fluff sandwiches/ dip …mmm! I’m making myself hungry…

12. nutspee says:

Sorry for the misprint in my previous comment. I meant to say” Nutella & fluff”

13. I’m eating on as we speak! I’ve loved them since 1965!

14. Eedwin says:

As am I, OneGratefulDad! I personally favor it with chunky PB though ;)

15. Tugar says:

I grew up on fluffernutters. Here’s another, an acquired taste I will admit. Peanut butter and mayo. Not salad dressing, has to be mayo. On white bread, although I heard toast was good also. My dad was hooked during his stint in the US Navy in Korea. Imagine my surprise when my stepdaughter loved them also.

16. Troy says:

I just found this site by accident. I remember fluffernutters fondly. My mom gave them to us (sister and myself) as special treats or dessert. She was born and raise in New Jersey but also lived in the south in her 20′s. She would do fluffernutters different ways, straight, with bananas, thinly sliced apples or apple butter, or strawberry slices. Yum. I remember in camp having grilled PB&Js I did not know it was called a Goober Burger. Thanks for the info and the memories.