RememBear This: Charleston Chew

Interesting Charleston Chew trivia:
  • They were created in 1922 originally as chocolate covered taffy (now nougat)
  • Current flavors are chocolate, vanilla, blueberry & strawberry (banana has been discontinued)
  • Tootsie Roll Industries bought them in 1993 and is the current owner (once owned by Nabisco)
  • The mini “bite-size” variety are known as Charleston Chews (plural)
  • They have been used to show the effects of temperature and strain rate on the deformation of materials to students in university geology labs.
  • It got it’s name from the popular (in the 1920′s) Charleston dance

Charleston Chew

This is another thing from my past that is still widely available and still very popular. You can go into any Walgreen’s or CVS/Longs and grab yourself a “Chew”, but I haven’t eaten one since I was roughly 10 years old. This used to be my “go to” candy. Without hesitation, if someone asked me what my favorite candy was it was an instant “Charleston Chew”. I liked all the flavors but certainly the vanilla best. I’m sure everyone has tried them frozen….least I hope you have, poor soul if you haven’t.

For whatever reason I look at these with pride. They seem like the underdogs that survived. From the taste to the look to the packaging. They are old fashioned but not outdated. It’s like the old guy sitting on the porch in his rocking chair but is hip enough to know that the wee lads are into SpongeBob & Miley Cyrus.

I remember getting this treat on every single road trip we went on when I was young. I think there was a time of at least a year when this was the only candy I ate. I progressed from there to loving the Baby Ruth…then to the Butterfinger and finally settled on anything Reese’s (the peanut butter cup topping them all).

What was your favorite candy bar growing up? What’s your favorite now?

Candy Bars

So many choices...

27 comments on “RememBear This: Charleston Chew

1. Justin says:

Reese’s without question are my favorites now. As a kid I think I liked Rolo’s best. They reminded me of Willy Wonka somehow.

2. Ryan says:

#1 seed…Twix, growing up and today.

Something that I just recently had for the first time that I’m a big fan of now…Take 5 (pretzel, caramel, peanut and peanut butter-filled, milk chocolate coated)

3. nuttyturnip says:

Pretty sure there aren’t too many wee lads into Miley Cyrus.

4. jperonto says:

KitKat growing up and still today!

5. I’m with @Bear Twix all the way!

6. SkippyMom says:

The Heath Bar – but they are hard to find. Yum. I can settle for mini reeses peanut butter cups in a pinch tho’.

7. dunn says:

when adventuresome go with snickers for smooth 3 musketeers although love pb twix as well who diesnt like pb

8. Harleen says:

Reese’s cups (the good old fashioned PB ones), Three Musketeers, Hershey bars and M&M’s (no nuts with either)…and Junior Mints, in honor of my late father (who loved those more than anything).

9. Ryan says:

@Erin… Bear doesn’t understand how good a Twix bar is. I do though. :)

Oh by the way…I don’t understand how good a Charleston Chew is…never had it.

10. Jessica says:

When I was a little girl, my mom wouldn’t let me eat candy, but this (of course) led to everyone feeling sorry for a kid with no candy, so I got even more from my extended family. I remember loving Hershey Kisses as a child, but I now can’t stand the taste of them. I’m more of a dark chocolate person, but I don’t even like dark chocolate kisses.
    I have always loved CHUNKY bars, especially the gold wrapper version, which is dark chocolate and very, very hard to find.
    I also like snickers, reece’s peanut butter patties, the Take 5 bars with the pretzels in them, and Turtles.

11. Ken says:

The sadly-defunct Nestle Alpine White was my favorite growing up.

12. plushpuppy says:

My favorite as a kid was either Kit Kat, Aero or mint Aero. The Aero is not very common in the states but according to the wikipedia you can find it some places. Also Mackintosh Toffee mmmm mmm good. As an adult I like Skor Bar, Rolos, Glosette Raisin and all varieties of M and Ms.

13. Raiders757 says:

I love Charleston Chew! Sucks that they don’t make the bannana anymore. I’ve never, ever seen a blueberry version. The web site only claims there are three flavors. Are you sure there is a blueberry flavor? If so, I have to try it.

For me, anything with peanut butter and chocolate, or peanuts and chocolate gets my vote. I also love chocolate covered pretzels, so Take 5′s are on my list. If I had to pick my top three, though, I would go with Reese’s, Snickers, and Peanut M&M’s.

14. Raiders757 says:

Oh, I forgot. Does anyone remember the Marathon Bar? That was a favorite of mine as a kid in the 70′s.

15. RossS says:

With the exception of Snickers and Kit Kat, they were all favorites at various times. Mounds, Payday, Tootsie Rolls, Butterfinger and M and M’s were all in my top 10 as well.

I still love a Hershey bar and popcorn at the movies! A little sweet, then a little salty. Perfect combination. Yum!

16. Harleen says:

@ Raiders757: I just LOVED Marathon bars! I was also a kid in the 70s, and those were amazing. So were Choco-Lite bars. I was so sad when they stopped making both of those!

17. Heather says:

Hmmm, favorite candy growing up? My favorites are Kit Kat Bars and Twix. Take 5′s are awesome, too, btw. I’ve always like Nestles Crunch bars, but anything chocolate really. :)

18. sweetspot says:

When I was a little girl I didn’t like candy very much so I would get potato chips in my Easter basket. Now that my metabolism has slowed and have to watch what I eat I have learned to love candy. (Lucky me) When I was pregnant I had to have Riesens and Werthers caramel. Now and I love Baby Ruths, Snickers, sour jelly beans, miniture Reeses cups and 100 Grand bars. I just started sticking Snickers in the freezer but now that I remember how much I love frozen vanilla Charleston chews I have to get some of them.

19. Al says:

My favorite growing up for me was the Nut Rageous Bar from Reese’s. Pity I have a hard time finding them now…

Now, it’s gotta be Peanut Butter Twix

20. Bear Silber says:

@Justin – Rolos, really? They always seemed….plain to me.

@Ryan – Yeah, Take 5 is awesome but I wish there was more pretzel. I LOVE chocolate or yogurt covered pretzels!

@nuttyturnip – Wee lads…..20 somethings…same thing :P

@jperonto – Nice to see you like what you like. Have you tried any of the “crazy” Japanese flavor?

@Erin Brooks – My friends mom used to buy HUGE cases at Costco and always had them stocked up.

@SkippyMom – Heath Bar hard to find? I see it everywhere. How similar is that to the Skor Bar?

@dunn I haven’t had the PB Twix but yeah….who doesn’t like PB!

@Harleen – Ugggh, Junior Mints I always want to like but never do….same goes for York Peppermint Patties, they seem like I’d like them but then after a bite or two not so much.

@Ryan – You need to try the Charleston Chew…that and the Charleston dance!

@Jessica – Your mom is mean :) How did you survive? I’ve never had a Chunky Bar.

@Ken Never had the Nestle Alpine White.

@plushpuppy – Dang, you like quite a wide array.

@Raiders757 – Yep, there’s a blueberry. Seriously….banana needs to come back. And yes…again….PB anything is yummy for me tummy :)

I’ve never had the Marathon Bar…what is it?

@RossS – Hahaha. I love it! You love ‘em all. I guess really why not?

@Harleen – What’s the Choco-Lite Bar? I’m not liking the “Lite” in the name :)

@Heather – Oh yeah, Crunch Bars! Those rock.

@sweetspot – Didn’t like candy as a little girl, whahhh?!? That’s crazy talk :P I’m glad to see you’ve come to your senses. Did you freeze some Vanilla CCs?

@Al – NutRageous Bar are awesome….you must be young…they didn’t have those until later in me life.

21. sweetspot says:

No I never go to freeze the CCs. My rotten son wanted to try it and ate the whole thing before it ever had a chance to get near the freezer. Another thing to add to the list of things we buy and hide from the 17yr old vacuum.

22. Bear Silber says:

@sweetspot – hahahahahahahha, too freakin’ funny.

23. Heather says:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention a Caramello. Caramel and chocolate-so good.

24. cress says:

My favorites were always Whatchamacallit and Reeses Cup..oh, and Bottle Caps.

25. Aram Fingal says:

I definitely remember the Marathon Bar. At one point, the Charleston Chew got into a competition with the Marathon Bar for the longest candy bar. If I remember correctly, the Charleston Chew was available in a foot-long version, at least for a little while. Does anyone else remember that?

It’s amazing to think about it now. When I was a kid, there was never any issue of “sugar high” because we ate huge amounts of sugar all the time. We were adapted to it. We started with Super Sugar Crisp and Hawaiian Punch (or similar combinations) in the morning and never stopped. McDonalds cooked their french fries in lard and hardly anyone was fat.

26. Shannon says:

My favorite candy as a kid was a caramel, because my mom would buy them for me at the grocery store. As a teen, it was Snickers. Now it’s a tie between Snickers, Reese’s peanut butter cups, and Turtles.

27. Angelo says:

Charleston Chew is one of the best. But I have to disagree about freezing them–they lose some flavor. I never understood why people liked them frozen so much.