Jealous: Elvis Presley

The crazy gal Varta has been making crazy concoctions of culinary delight on her blog for a little bit now (go check it out right now if you haven’t seen it).  A little while ago, I put in a request (If I may be so bold) for her to make a deep-fried Elvis sandwich and here is her creation:

French Toast Elvis (photo: Varta Melon)

French Toast Elvis (photo: Varta Melon)

What you are looking at, my friends, are two slices of bread with peanut butter, joining bacon and banana together, dunked it french toast batter.

Thanks Varta!!!

16 comments on “Jealous: Elvis Presley

1. Adam Bomb says:

I want to make one of these so bad…

On an equally unhealthy and artery-clogging related note: The State Fair just started here in Indiana, and they have chocolate-covered bacon this year. Whoa…

2. Heather says:

Man, I might have to try this. Not too sure about the bacon though. And all this talk about chocolate bacon??? I’m not sure about it, but I might have to give that a try as well.

3. varta says:

Bear! You’re awesome.

I’ve made chocolate covered bacon! It’s sooooo good! If you like chocolate covered pretzels, you’ll like chocolate covered bacon, it has the same sweet and salty working for it. My suggestion for chocolate covered bacon though would be to cook the bacon in the oven so it cooks flat and doesn’t curl, I always have that happen when i cook bacon in the pan.

4. Bear Silber says:

@Adam Bomb – I hate you Mid-West peeps with all your fairs….I’m so jealous. I was just listening to a thing about fairs on NPR. I would love to have a “fat day” at the fair.

@Heather – If you do it you’ve got to have the bacon!

@Varta – OMG! I love chocolate covered pretzels….almost more than anything. I must confess…although I encourage you along, I think it’s because I don’t indulge in it myself. I would love to try this bad boy out for myself. One of these days.

5. Lol Bear you getting a crush on Varta. Looks like she’s winning you over with her food :D

6. Bear Silber says:

@Erin – Hahaha….way to a man’s heart…but no….she’s taken….lucky dog :P

7. cress says:

How does it actually taste? It looks damn good, but how does the peanut butter jive with everthing else?

8. SkippyMom says:

Oh! I made something similar once with a hamburger roll, peanut butter and banana, except I turned the roll inside out and fried it like a grilled cheese in butter – and I can attest that the flavors rock!

I LOVE the idea of the french toast batter – It is like a poor man’s Monte Cristo, right? YUMMY!

9. Raiders757 says:

That looks killer!!!! I have got to have one of those!

@ Bear

The Mid-West isn’t the only place for fairs. Here in Southeastern Virginia, there seems to be one every other weekend all summer long. Of course some of them call themselves festivals, but they’re fairs at heart.

Hey, it may not be a fair, but there’s a huge party at the Alameda Coliseum tomorrow. The Raider Mecca XII. You should go sample some grub, if there is any, and post a review. C’mon, man! Go join the greatest fans in all of sports for a good time.

10. @Raiders757 – Man I would love to…but being the pizza slinger that I am, I’ve got to be feeding OTHERS the grub tomorrow :)

I’m looking forward to this football season though, it oughtta be a good on. Freakin’ Crabtree though….what a wanker!

11. Raiders757 says:

LOL! Yea Crabgrass is really shooting himself in the foot. He should just take the money he’s offered and work towards a bigger contract in the near future. I guess he’s not one of the brightest matches in the box.

Hey, I also found this out. There is a California Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles, California. I’m not sure how close that it to you, but hey, it’s proof that you guys aren’t left out of the fun. Here’s a link of Whitesnake performing there.

I am sure there was some fried goodies to be had there.

12. varta says:

wait huh? I don’t have a lucky dog… (please don’t tell me you’re talking about my fb “relationship”!)

Cress, it’s very dense, but delicious, make sure not to use too much peanut butter or it will take over, I used a thin(-ish) layer on each slice of bread to keep the slices together

13. @Varta – Seriously? That’s just a FB relationship? I always thought you were taken.

@Raiders757 – Are you not in the Bay Area? (Just a Raiders fan?)

@SkippyMom – That sounds good….why not “knock it up a notch” by using a Krispy Kreme donut!!!!

14. Raiders757 says:

I’ve been a Raiders fan since I was a child in the 70′s. I live in South Eastern Virginia. I wish I was in the Bay Area, or somewhere near by, but my wife refuses to move.

15. cress says:

Raiders757..you are already on the best coast. No need to move. Sorry Bear… :)

16. Raiders757 says:

That post was for Bear by-the-way.