RememBear This: Mickey’s Parade Ice Cream

Ring-ding-ding-a-ling, here comes the ice cream truck! There was almost no greater thing than hearing that music on a hot summer day. What a treat, what a surprise. You didn’t know ice cream was in your future and then all of a sudden…music to your ears. Half the fun was trying to figure out where the music was coming from and honing in on that little white truck.

Mickey's Parade Ice Cream

We’d being playing on the front lawn with the Slip ‘n Slide and then you’d hear it…it was faint at first but then it got louder and closer. We’d run inside to grab whatever change we could find, every kitchen drawer was rummaged through, every couch cushion upturned. Meanwhile the hardwood became an extreme hazard due to the water dripping from our swim trunks.

They’ve made so many varieties of these ice cream treats. Now they do the Powder Puff Girls and Spongebob but for me the most memorable where the Disney ones…well those and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They also had them with the bubblegum eyes. That was pretty sweet, it’s like getting a dessert with a dessert chaser. I used to order bubblegum ice cream from my local parlor too but it was a short-lived fad…the texture of the gum was never quite right after being at that low temperature.

What’s your favorite ice cream truck treat?

I’m glad I didn’t have this ice cream man from hell:

11 comments on “RememBear This: Mickey’s Parade Ice Cream

1. Oh man memories. My favorite ice cream treat was Good Humors Strawberry Shortcake.
    It’s amazing about how you LOVe the ice cream truck song when your a kid, but when you grow up you just want to shoot yourself as the damn annoying song circles your block “Do you ears hang low…”.

2. Ryan says:

I have fond memories of Bubble O’ Bill…the bubble gum nose was extra special.

3. Pasquinel says:

Ducktales and Talespin were pretty awesome back then but most of the shorts starring Mickey, Donald, and the original Disney cast never appealed to me. Looney Tunes was more my thing. The humor skewed towards an edgier undertone that still holds up well when viewed from an adult perspective.

I’ve always been more of a popsicle kid and my favorite growing up was Otter Pops:

4. Yum Yucky says:

Watch out now! You’re workin’ overtime on the nostalgia. The bubblegum eyes were the best. Kids today don’t know what they’re missing. So glad I was kid in a time when it was the coolest.

5. Adam Bomb says:

I remember these! I also remember the big sherbet popsicle that was shaped like a foot, and the big toe had a gumball. WWF ice cream sandwiches also come to mind. I remember the ice cream truck, and I kinda wish I could still buy from it without looking like a creep, lol.

6. SkippyMom says:

Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake and the Chocolate Eclair – yum….but they were always the most expensive thing on the list, so we usually ended up getting a bomb pop or an italian ice.

I love the ice cream man!

7. J says:

New Yorkers know it’s all about the Mister Softee trucks!

8. Raiders757 says:

“So glad I was kid in a time when it was the coolest.”

I remember saying that very same thing when I was in my 20′s during the 90′s. I am willing to bet that the kids of today will be saying the same thing about the kids who are a few generations behind them. It’s a never ending cycle.

I used to love the ice cream man. Now I want to kill him for playing that annoying song over and over again while he travels through my neighborhood. The same song, over and over and over again for over an hour. What happened to the good ol’ bell?

9. Heather says:

My favorite was the Good Humor Candy Center Crunch. There was just something about that chocolate candy in the middle. I also remember we liked the candy necklaces, candy lipstick, and the candy and bubblegum cigarettes. As a matter of fact, I found the bubblegum cigarettes not too long ago and showed them to friend, he got a kick out of how you could blow “smoke” out them (the powder on the gum).

10. Adam Bomb says:

@Raiders: The ice cream van that drives through the neighborhood my kids live in is terrible. They have a baby in a playpen sitting unsecured in the back of the van sometimes. They should be arrested!

And I hear you about the neverending nostalgia cycle. True enough, that will go on forever. Every generation has incredibly fond memories from their childhoods, and I think they often *seem* better than they may actually have been. Case in point: Go back and watch all the movies you loved as a child, and chances are, quite a few of them won’t be as good as you remember them being. But it’s not always the case. I still legitimately love a lot of movies from my childhood. Ghostbusters and The Goonies for example. On the flipside: As an adult, I realize how much Robocop sucks. But I thought it was the bomb when I was 10. Wow, I went way off subject. Sorry!

11. godofwar says: