RememBear This: Homestyle Eggo Waffles

No slogan was more apropos in my house than “Leggo my Eggo.”  You see that size box?  60 waffles!  That’s how we did it ’round my way.  Go big or go home.  Lord do I love these toasted circles of heaven.  I’m not sure there is a single product that I ate more of from the ages of 10-13.  My brothers and I would consume them at a rate even Fat Monica (Geller-Bing) would be impressed by.

Eggo WafflesFirst thing in the morning I would pop a couple of these in the ToastMaster, give a dust blow to the good ol’ Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker cartridge, run back to the kitchen, prepare my feast and settle in for a 1/2 hour of head boppin’ beats.

Depending on how I felt, I had several ways to prepare and enjoy them my Eggos:

The Classic – Obviously the most common way to have a waffle with a slab of butter and some good ol’ pancake syrup (Aunt Jemima if you’d like).

The Elvis (sans bacon) – Beautiful golden brown waffle layered with creamy Skippy peanut butter, sliced bananas and drizzled with honey (from the Honey Bear of course).

The Hippie – Toasted waffle topped with Smuckers strawberry jam (or whichever flavor sparks your fancy) and covered with cottage cheese. This was learned from my father.  It may sound strange but honestly try it.  The contrasting tastes of the cottage cheese and jam combined with the difference in temperature of the ingredients makes for a marvelous concoction.

The WTF? –  I don’t know how this started or why necessarily I did this but I loved it. Similar to the classic preparation but using Country Crock and pancake syrup.  Toasted Eggo, Country Crock (in every square), topped with syrup and nuked in the microwave for 30 seconds. You may be asking yourself why the radiation blast but I’m telling you, It does something to it, like Blanka from Street Fighter, it gets badder and better.  The waffle softens up and absorbs the spread and the syrup. They meld into one delicious beautiful puck of breakfast perfection.

So how do you like your Eggos? What’s the strangest way you enjoy them?

Look at those killer special effects. For 1993 this ad was way ahead of it’s time.

16 comments on “RememBear This: Homestyle Eggo Waffles

1. That is so awesome Bear! Gosh I think the weirdest thing I did with an Eggo was toast it and snack on it plain. I’d do the butter and syrup. Trying to think what else….hmmm lol. Nope I think that is it. Boring me.
    I’d love to know how people get these old commercials on the net it’s so cool!

2. Adam Tyner says:

“The WTF?”

I don’t know where I picked it up from, but I did the exact same thing with my Eggos — toasting then microwaving. Heck, I even used Country Crock, which was always kind of synonymous with butter in my family.

3. Evan says:

I thought most people did the ‘WTF’. Guess not. I always did and still do that because my toaster sucks. It can’t cook the inside without burning the outside.

4. Yum Yucky says:

Yep, I bought another 60-count box a few days ago. It doesn’t lasts very long in my house. People are greedy.

5. n.capo says:

I’m more of a butter and syrup kind of guy. I’ve never gone “crazy” on a waffle.

6. Josh says:

Philadelphia Cream cheese and Aunt Jemima FTW…my Fiancee looks at me weird but it’s awesome

7. ChrisSh says:

The normal for me was always butter and syrup, but during college, I kind of migrated to butter and blackberry jam. I also realized that it takes at least four of them to fill me up at all now, so I didn’t eat them often…

8. Adam Bomb says:

When I was a kid, I thought Country Crock WAS butter. Likewise, I thought Miracle Whip was mayonnaise. I didn’t know any better….

My two faves with the Eggos (of which I ate many) were:

Butter (in every square, yes!) and syrup. Or…peanut butter and grape jelly! The latter was my personal favorite, and I’m still guilty of having them this way once in a while. Eggo waffles are magical, fo sho.

9. ChrisSh says:

Oh, I forgot something else I always do. It is damn near impossible to get butter in every square, so I just spread it on as best I can, cover with syrup, and let the butter melt. Then I flip the eggos and let the butter-syrup combo leak out onto the bottom of the plate. Push it down into that, flip it, push it down again, and you’ve got some good coverage…

10. @Erin Brooks – Not too wild :P

I also used to melt butter on them and sprinkle a cinnamon/sugar mix on top.

@Adam Tyner – Haha, I didn’t know it wasn’t butter until I was like 15.

@Evan – Weird…I totally thought I was strange for doing it…guess not.

@Yum Yucky – Hence the slogan :)

@n.capo – Pretty tame. You oughta give some of these a shot.

@Josh – Dude! That sounds great! Why haven’t I thought of that?

@ChrisSh – That’s why they have the 60 count box :P

@Adam Bomb – Haha, same f-ing thing here.

Mmmmmm…”peanut butter and grape jelly!”

@ChrisSh – That’s quite a process :) …but I’m sure it’s worth it.

11. Raiders757 says:

Oh my God! A box that big, would have been the “Ark of the Covenant” at my house. Despite my parents ban on most sugar infused cereals, Eggo Waffles were a main stay in the freezer. I even remember the square ones. I would have lost my mind if my mother brought a box that big home. I’m drooling as I think about it now, wishing my wife would come through the door with a giant box of Eggo Waffles as I type this.

This is so kick ass, I’m afraid to show my kid. It may lead to a rough weekend. Then again, it’s my birthday in less than 15 minutes. A huge pack of Eggo Waffles would be better than a cake!

Just butter and real Vermont Maple Syrup please. The clear stuff would be asking a bit too much, but if you could, I’ll take it.

Those not in the know. Vermont is serious about syrup, and if you get the pure shit, there is no turning back. It’s like smoking super kind bud. You’ll just assume quit, than settle for less.

Yea, I’ve quit both, and I’m not kidding at all. Sucks when Grandma passes on.

Cheers!!!

12. Raiders757 says:

To those burning them in a toaster. Use a “Toaster oven”. It’s the best of both worlds. You can watch your creation through the window. A normal toaster is garbage.

I just had a thought. It’s crazy I long for an Eggo, when we have a waffle iron in my kitchen. Bought it last Christmas, and have yet to master it, let alone tried it out. WTF?!!

Doh!!

13. @Raiders757 – “This is so kick ass, I’m afraid to show my kid. It may lead to a rough weekend” – Haha.

So true on the Vermont Maple Syrup….nothing compares. Happy freakin’ birthday. You don’t need no stickin’ waffle iron. Go get yourself a 60-pack for your b-day!!!!! Have a blast :) Eat till you’re fat!

14. ChrisSh says:

I had a dream last night that I bought a giant 60 pack box of eggos. I need to stop reading this blog so much!

15. I used to do the Country Crock in every square too when I was younger. Now, I hook my Eggos up with Nutella. Super yum.

16. @ChrisSh – Haha. No you just need to go to Costco :P

@Gregory Ng: The Frozen Food Master – I know right, what was it with Country Crock? Ohh, Nutella…that’s a good idea.