Taco Bell Test Kitchen Trip Preview

OK, it’s 3am and I just got in less than an hour ago.  Long day.  I plan to sleep for the next 6-16 hours or so.  If you didn’t know, I was in California the last couple of days thanks to the kind folks at Taco Bell.  I met some really nice people and had some good food.  I’m going to work on a more detailed post later but until then, here’s a brief sneak peak preview.

taco bell headquarters

Taco Bell Headquarters: Irvine, California

Going over the history of Taco Bell

Unfortunately, it doesn't "gong"...just kinda squeeks.  I tested it out.

Unfortunately, it doesn't "gong"...just kinda squeeks. I tested it out.

Do Not Tap On Glass: He gets angry

Do Not Tap On Glass: He gets angry

The Test Kitchen

The Test Kitchen

My Creation: Fully Loaded Cheesy Volcano Chicken Nachos

My Creation: Fully Loaded Cheesy Volcano Chicken Nachos

Once again, this is just a quick preview post.  I took a ton of pics and video so I’m planning to put something together once I take a look at the footage.  All in all, it was a really great time and my only regret is not finding a few minutes to hit up In-N-Out Burger.  It has been a couple of years since I last had one and I missed my shot this time around.  Oh well, it’s not like I went hungry.  You’ll see.  Currently craving the Volcano Box.

Stay tuned.

19 comments on “Taco Bell Test Kitchen Trip Preview

1. Joff says:

Is the Taco Bell tour open to the public? If only they would open up the franchise to the UK…

2. Ahhhhhh, you son of a bitch! That is so cool. Nice job on the Fully Loaded Cheesy Volcano Chicken Nachos, that’s totally something they’d make up. I want to ask so many questions but I know you’ll answer them all in your writeup about the trip…I’m restrain myself.

3. Adam Bomb says:

Those nachos look delish. Can’t wait to see the full story.

4. Kristopher says:

It’s like a real life trip to the “Willy Wonka” factory. I’m jealous.

5. Awesome! Can’t wait to read the report! Welcome back.

6. Very cool! It was nice of them to let you take pics as well. Looking forward to the rest of the details.

7. brad says:

looks like a good time dude. those nachos look fantastic

8. Adam says:

Can’t Wait!

9. Evan says:

Ha! Did you have to sign a waiver saying they can use any of your ‘creations’? Looks like you created a masterpeice.

Oh how I wish Taco Bell had an extended condiment table like Hardee’s/Red Burrito. They have red sauce, salsa, and jalapenos out by the napkins, ketchup, ect.

• Ryan says:

@ Evan … Nope, no signed waiver…It would be an honor to have my creation enjoyed by all…seriously though, it’s tough to not make something pretty stellar. John over at http://www.EpicPortions.com made pretty good looking Volcano Chicken Quesadilla.

10. ultradave says:

Ryan, this is really cool and I can’t wait to hear your report. And BTW you’ve really just taken things and run with it since that “other” site just up and died. Good job man!

11. Justin says:

Tell them their Volcano Burrito is overpriced!

• Ryan says:

@ Justin … Haha…Actually, I did bring it up. I compared it to the 89c Cheesy Double Beef Burrito… The Volcano Burrito is 1.5″ bigger tortilla thus it packs a bigger weight and adds in a few new ingredients the Cheesy Double Beef Burrito doesn’t have. Although they did mention how their are some items that make up for the issues between the super cheap and the more expensive…The Volcano menu items are the new, hot featured items and sometimes they come along with a higher price tag than items specifically designed for a value menu. As time goes on, prices are sure to change depending on how the market reacts.

12. John says:

Yeah, a 1.5″ increase in tortilla, .5 oz increase in volcano sauce, and .75 oz of sour cream creates the price increase. I thought they were pretty honest about it making up for the price for cheaper items.

13. Josh says:

You should tell Evan that it’s been done before
    “I did, however, invent a genius creation using their test kitchen. The Volcano Quesadilla.”
    Needless to say…that looks fun, but you do lose some points for missing out on In-n-out

14. Adam Bomb says:

I guess I’m probably just out of the loop on this, but how exactly did you come to have this trip to the Taco Bell HQ? Is it just a tour thing that anyone can do, or is it related to your profession?

• Ryan says:

@ Adam Bomb … This was the first time that the Taco Bell people had an event like this for food bloggers. There was around 8 or 9 of us. I believe the taste test kitchen is normally reserved for visits from advertisers and franchise owners. There were a few areas that seemed to be just geared for visitors so I wouldn’t doubt that some tour groups may make their way through a small portion of the building. Although that building was HUGE…bigger than most hotels in the area. How I came to have this trip to the Taco Bell HQ was being contacted by public relations. They were really nice, accommodating people. I can’t say enough great things about them. And no, the whole thing is not related to my profession…GrubGrade is just a side-project of mine and I have a regular desk job during the week. I’d go crazy without GrubGrade…hehe.

15. Adam Bomb says:

LOL, I think I’d go crazy without GrubGrade also. I’ve been addicted to the site since I happened upon it a few weeks ago :)

16. Justin says:

Ryan, I just do something called, “Add Volcano sauce” for 30 cents extra.

I’m not paying $3.00 for that Volcano Burrito. They can look at their sales numbers, I doubt many other people are too.

I hope Taco Bell isn’t starting to get greedy. That would be a shame.