Food News: Burger King’s New Healthier Kid’s Meals

With menu items like the Tendercrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch sandwich and the Whopper, Burger King is probably not the healthiest place, but at least they try.  In an effort to promote healthier eating habits to kids, Burger King is introducing 3 new kids meals.  Each of the new additions have less than 560 calories and 600 milligrams of sodium.

• Meal one consists of 2 BK burger shots, apple fries with dipping sauce and fat-free milk
  • Meal two consists of a hamburger, apple fries with dipping sauce and apple juice
  • Meal three consists of 4 chicken tenders, apple fries and fat-free milk

cr_NRN_1-28-08_p022_KidsMeal

The new menu items are part of BK’s pledge to only advertise meals to kids 12 and under that meet higher nutritional standards.

11 comments on “Food News: Burger King’s New Healthier Kid’s Meals

1. This is a baby step at least. Why can’t they just not include the HFCS laden dipping sauce?

2. Sam I Am says:

I have always wondered, are those nuggets supposed to be shaped like crowns or chicken feet? Either way, they’re just weird looking. By the way, I love the site. I wish you were located on the west coast so there could be more reviews from restaurants I’ve actually heard of ( I’m from Portland OR, would love to read a Burgerville review!) Anyway, keep up the good work!

3. Ryan says:

@ Sam I Am … Yeah definitely crown shaped…Thanks for checking out the site and I agree 100% with you…WE NEED WEST COAST REVIEWS!!! … Anyone out that way that would like to contribute to GrubGrade we will welcome you with open arms. All you need is a camera and an opinion really. There are a TON of places out west that are amazing but sadly I don’t get to sample very often. My whirlwind Cali trip was way too short and busy to even revisit my favorite In-N-Out Burger. Everyone who currently contributes to GrubGrade is located way East of the Mississippi. I’d like to expand and open up to other areas of the country. If you’re out there and want to throw your hat into the mix, please contact us.

4. Marianne says:

I just heard a clip from Jimmy Fallon last night where he names these meals the “I Don’t Want That.” LOL, exactly what my kids would say … fries and onion rings mom!

5. Adam says:

Back in my day you ate dark meat strips fried in lard with a ton of fries, a coke, and a machbox car. Then you went outside and played sports all day. Childhood obesity has much more to do with kids just being lazy than eating unhealthy. You’re suppose to eat unhealthy as a kid. Otherwise God would not have invented stuff like cinnemon toast crunch and chicken fingers.

• Ryan says:

@ Adam … I agree 100%. I remember as a kid being outside from morning until night in the summer time. Where did all the kids go?

6. John says:

I would rather be overweight and unhealthy than eat that garbage

7. Shan says:

Their apple fries suck. They taste like chemicals. Has anyone else tried them?

8. Adam Bomb says:

I’m pretty sure the apple “fries” are treated with citric acid to preserve them, but I don’t know about any other chemicals. The apple dippers from McD’s aren’t too bad. Nothing is going to beat slicing up a fresh apple, though.

9. Ryan says:

Never had the apple fries… I’m not a fan of the chicken tenders at BK… Give me a Rodeo Cheeseburger, Onion Rings, a Mr. Pibb and a toy and my Kid’s Meal is complete. No, I don’t ever get kids meals but I’ve accumulated a crazy collection of Fast Food kids toys that people just give me. I’ll have to take a picture one of these days.

10. Adam Bomb says:

BK’s chicken tenders/nuggets/etc. definitely aren’t at the top of the list. Arby’s tenders will forever be my very favorites, but they did away with them long ago, at least at all the Arby’s I’ve been to. Yeah, I know they have the little nugget versions, but they’re not the same. They look the same, but something just isn’t right with them.